[Paleopsych] Re: Big bang in mm sizes

Joel Isaacson isaacsonj at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 11 01:49:29 UTC 2005

Yes, Howard, we are talking about same/similar stuff.   I was surprised to
see Nils Basse's
suggestion of mini-big-bangs...  especially since I have been talking about
that possibility
for some time now...  albeit from a different perspective.

My perspective is tied to CA-like processes that are anchored in perception.
   The self-similarity
at all scales of those Ur-Patterns is a reflection of the self-similarity of
the underlying processes,
effected recursively.   Those underlying processes are CA-like and their
basic rule is
local distinction-making.

The scheme is not quite mathematical in the ordinary sense, although it is
processually
well-defined and readily representable by ordinary computational processes.
  Many of the usual CA rules have some mathematical flavor.  However, here
we have the rule of distinction-making that is a natural process common in
the biology of perception -- not necessarily thru formal mathematical means.

I do agree that mathematics serves via metaphors vis-a-vis natural processes
described by same,
and that all we could expect is finding/adopting the best mathematical
metaphor that
may fit a particular natural phenomenon.   My CA-like processes, while not
strictly mathematical,
serve the same purpose;  i.e., are metaphors aimed at a sweeping capture of
natural
phenomena, from visual perception (and perception in general) to processes
generating
elementary particles, and big bang-like scenarios, and many things in
between...

Btw, I corresponded with Noam Chomsky in 1972 about those CA...  but it has
been
obviously premature...  he has been very polite but professed to not
"understand
the import" of these things.    Nevertheless, I did adopt his notions of
surface
and deep structures and incorporated those into the patent application in
1975.

-- Joel