[Paleopsych] Misdiagnosed, woman dies from chemotherapy

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 11 16:21:07 UTC 2005

Fort Lauderdale jury awards $8 million in malpractice suit
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - A jury awarded $8 million to the husband of a woman
who died after chemotherapy that wasn't necessary, lawyers said Thursday.
The jury ruled against Coral Springs Medical Center, University Hospital in
Tamarac and two doctors. Pending expected appeals, they will each have to
pay Charles Pandrea of Coconut Creek a percentage of the award, said
Pandrea's Attorney Michael Ryan.
A private autopsy showed Janet Pandrea did not have the cancer she was
treated for, Ryan said.
Ryan said Pandrea had a benign tumor in one lung, which could have been
operated on. He said she developed side effects from her chemotherapy that
ultimately led to her death.
"Mr. Pandrea had no idea why she died ... What he found was that she never
had cancer," Ryan said.
The lawyers for the defendants and University Hospital did not immediately
return phone calls for comment. But the North Broward Hospital District,
which governs the Coral Springs hospital, said in a statement that an
investigation was conducted and an employee "acknowledged his
responsibility."
"We believe it was this honest and forthright admission that resulted in
the verdict returned by the jury," said the statement. "We acknowledge the
tragedy befalling the Pandrea family and our thoughts remain with them."
The jury found that oncologist Abraham Rosenberg must pay 50 percent of the
money, Martin Stone, the Pandrea family doctor must pay 12 percent, Coral
Springs Medical Center 10 percent, and University Hospital must pay 28
percent, Ryan said.
Ryan said Janet Pandrea was hospitalized for breathing problems connected
to the chemotherapy. At University Hospital, Stone allegedly misdiagnosed
stomach ulcers and she was operated on.
Pandrea died of severe infection after the operation, Ryan said.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/gen/ap/FL_Medical_Malpractice.
html