[Paleopsych] SL4 Wiki: MarcGeddes/UniversalDataTypes

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Fri Jun 17 19:27:19 UTC 2005

MarcGeddes/UniversalDataTypes
http://www.sl4.org/wiki/MarcGeddes/UniversalDataTypes

    The following schematic proposes 28 universal data types for sentient
    minds. It is proposed that 7 universal knowledge domains (Matter,
    Mathematics, Mentality, Meaning, Models, Morality and Mind) and 4
    universal mental operations (Action plans, Deductions, Inductions and
    Representations) are sufficient for a true general intelligence (one
    capable of universal reasoning, or reasoning in all domains in which a
    sentient mind could logically exist).

    Note on terms: I have used terms from the cognitive sciences to
    describe my proposed data types, but please bear in mind that I am not
    using these terms in the exact same way that other researchers may
    have defined them. Brief definitions of all my terms are given below.

                Action plan Deduction  Induction   Representation
       Mind        Goal      Utility   Projection     Episode
     Morality      Plan       Meme     Lifestyle       Person
      Models     Procedure   System     Process     Information
      Meaning    Strategy     Role    Relationship  Interaction
     Mentality    Script    Situation   Activity     Experience
    Mathematics  Heuristic   Theorem     Axiom      Proposition
      Matter      Schema     Object     Pattern       Gestalt

    ---Marc Geddes

    Definitions: Proposed Universal Mental Operations

    The x-axis (horizontal axis) lists the proposed 4 universal mental
    operations. The first two (Action plans, Deductions) loosely equate to
    active consciousness (which in humans mostly refers to operations in
    the frontal lobes). The last two (Inductions, Representations) loosely
    equate to passive consciousness (which in humans often refers to
    operations in the posterior parts of the brain). Bear in though, that
    the proposal here is for an ideal architecture, not the architecture
    of the human brain.

    Action plans: Linearly ordered concepts combined according to accepted
    rules providing plans of action for the sentient to manipulate the
    world in some knowledge domains. In humans often carried by out the
    ACTION networks in the frontal lobes.

    Deductions: Formation and combination of concepts in some knowledge
    domain. Here a 'concept' is defined to be a chucked mental unit that
    can be *uniquely* classified in some knowledge domain (so by this
    definition a 'fish' is not a concept because it's a folk term which
    can't be uniquely classified under a scientific Taxonomy of
    evolutiuonary biology).

    Inductions: Pattern recognition. Data compression arising from
    chunking. Here 'Induction' is being used in the most general sense to
    simply mean probabilistic generalizations from data in some domain.

    Representations: Data structures for various modalities. Perceptions.

    Definitions: Proposed Universal Knowledge domains

    The y-axis (vertical axis) lists the proposed 7 universal knowledge
    domains. It is proposed that there are 7 knowledge domains which are
    'Universal' (applicable everywhere in reality where sentient minds can
    exist). These 7 knowledge domains are supposed to 'over-lap' or
    supervene on each other. It is suggested that all other knowledge
    domains are sub-domains which could be classified under one of the 7
    core domains. The suggestion is that the 7 proposed universal
    knowledge domains are exhaustive. i.e sufficient to fully encompass
    all parts of reality in which sentient minds could exist.

    Mind Involving general abstract properties of sentient minds

    Morality Involving sentients in terms of their motivations

    Models Involving Information theory, system theory and computation

    Meaning Involving interactions between sentients and the role that
    sentients play in terms of things they do

    Mentality Involving actions and activities by sentients in terms of
    action tasks and experiences

    Mathematics Involving low-medium level logic and maths

    Matter Involving material properties of physical objects

    Remember the 7 M's - Mind, Morality, Models, Meaning, Mentality,
    Mathematics and Matter!

    Definitions: Proposed Universal data types

    Representations:

    Gestalt Modal representation of a material property of a physical
    object

    Proposition Modal representation of a basic relational (mathematical)
    property

    Experience Modal representation of the action properties of something
    as regards their effect on a sentient

    Interaction Modal representation of the effect of an action taken by a
    sentient on the world (espeically other sentients)

    Information Modal representaton of the functional properties of a
    system

    Person Modal representation of the identity of a sentient in
    motivational terms

    Episode Modal representation of a generic event

    Inductions:

    Pattern Recognition of a pattern in a physical modality

    Axioms Recognition of a consistent set of propositions

    Activity Recognition of a coherent short-term action task

    Relationship Recognition of a coherent interaction between a sentient
    and something in the world (espeically another sentient)

    Process Recognition of a goal-oriented change in state of a system

    Lifestyle Recognition of a way of life for a sentient in moral terms

    Projection Recognition of a possible 'outcome' in terms of it's
    utility (i.e predicted outcome)

    Deductions:

    Object Concept formation and combination of physical units

    Theorem Concept formation and combination of logical units (theorems).
    Deductions from axioms

    Situation Concept formation and combination of 'activity units' as
    regards effect of the world on a sentient (a 'situation')

    Role Concept formation and combination of 'social units' as regards
    the effect of the sentient on the world (a 'role')

    System Concept formation and combination of computational units as
    regards function (a 'system')

    Meme Concept formation and combination of 'cultural units'. Being used
    here in a more specific sense than the common definition of the term.
    Here it means a unit referring to the coherent lifestyle preference of
    a sentient as regards the sentients effects on others.

    Utility Concept formation and combination of 'event units'. Again, is
    here being defined in a more specific sense than it's general usage.
    Here it means projected outcomes of generic events classified
    according to their general value to sentients).

    Action plans:

    Schema A series of short-term physical actions to manipulate physical
    objects.

    Heuristic A series of logical strategies used to attack a problem in
    logic/maths

    Script A series of general physical/logical actions taken by a
    sentient in a general situation

    Strategy A series of social strategy used in a situation to help a
    sentient carry out its chosen role

    Procedure A series of functional steps used to manipulate a system

    Plan A series of social steps used by a sentient to carry out memes

    Goals A series of of abstract plans by a sentient to achieve projected
    outcomes.

    End of brief definitions. All comments or suggested elaborations of my
    proposed universal data types welcome

    ---Marc Geddes

    "This doesn't belong on the SL4 wiki. It's pure pseudoscience. Hint:
    any time you think you've discovered the "7 universal knowledge
    domains" and all of them happen to begin with the letter M, consider
    that your definitions may be wishful thinking designed to match your
    (preconceived) conclusions instead of the other way round." --Jack

    Say what? Clearly there are at least 3 universal knowledge domains:
    for instance the physical world, the computational world and the
    mathematical world. And clearly these domains at least supervene on
    each other. This much at least is accepted by many scientists and
    philosophers the world over. The schematic simply suggests proposed
    data types for dealing with various aspects of knowledge. What is
    pseudo-science about that?

    ---Marc Geddes

    You haven't proposed any 'data types'. That would require some
    description of how things work, or at the very least a specification
    of internal structure and state. You've given a very wolly verbal
    specification of a classification scheme for cognitive complexity,
    which is parameterised along two discrete axis. I'm not sure what the
    purpose of this is; are you saying that some kind of implementation of
    every one of these categories is both necessary and sufficient for an
    AGI to work (i.e. a design functionality checklist)? Why not add a
    third axis of parameterisation, so that you can have a true 'Mind
    Cube' design? -- [6]Starglider

    It is meant to be a design functionality checklist yes - I've been
    gradually homing in on what I hope is a 'periodic table' of a truly
    general sentient mind. Implementation of all these categories may not
    be neccessery for an AGI, but I think it's neccessery for a truly
    *general* intelligence (one capable of intelligent reasoning in any
    domain (i.e a AGI capable of reasoning anywhere in the multiverse
    where it is logically possible for a sentient mind exist). I may try
    to clarify definitions later to properly define the data types. As far
    as I can tell no third axis is required - these 28 categories appear
    to be both neccessery and sufficient for a true general intelligence.
    -- Marc Geddes

    You haven't defined "universal knowledge domain" or "data type". And
    it's not clear at all that the computational world is distinct from
    the mathematical world. As for the physical world being distinct...
    maybe that is an SL4 topic. But I don't know where to begin with a
    general critique of this essay; I don't think it's even in principle
    possible to "debunk" it as written. You seem to be suffering from what
    I believe crank.net calls classificationitis - a desire to cut up the
    universe into tidy (and in many cases, alliterative) chunks and
    proclaim the Universal Truth of this classification. See "There are
    two kinds of people..." type classifications. Also see Aristotle's
    "everything is either Earth, Air, Fire or Water". They are all more or
    less garbage because there is no reason at all that the universe
    should be organised according to such simplistic schemes. --Jack

    I can see it was poorly written again *sigh* It seems I have trouble
    being clear even when I'm actually *intentionally* trying to be clear.
    LOL Next draft should make more sense. According to science, the
    physical, mathematical and computational worlds are certainly *not*
    distinct from each other - they are in some sense equivalent. That was
    my whole point. These are categories for cognition, not categories for
    objective reality. By 'universal knowledge domain' I mean a domain for
    reasoning which is required everywhere in the multiverse... for
    instance everywhere in the universe you go, you will find physical
    things. Everywhere in the universe you go, you will find computation.
    And everywhere in the universe you go, you will find mathematical
    categories (at least according to what science currently tells us (for
    instance the principle of Universal Computation). --Marc Geddes

    This page was moved from [7]UniversalDataTypes by [8]observer on May
    21, 2005.

    Reason: This is a [9]PersonalWikiPage, and therefore should be stored
    as a SubPage[10]? of the author's [11]NamePage. (see
    [12]WikiEtiquette)