[Paleopsych] and now for something completely different

Paul J. Werbos, Dr. paul.werbos at verizon.net
Fri Mar 4 12:42:59 UTC 2005

At 09:43 PM 3/3/2005, Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. wrote:
>Have you all seen this:
>http://mathworld.wolfram.com/
>
>fabulous!

Hi, Lynn!

I just scanned it, since there is an important area of mathematics I needed to
become more updated with -- the qualitative theory of partial differential
equation systems.
This is a well-recognized area in math; Walter A. Strauss of Brown
University, one
of its most important players, is editor-in-chief of one of the journals,
and so on.

But the entire area does not show up at all on the Mathematica site.
All I found was a listing of a few methods for analytical solution.
(When I searched under partial differential equations.)
A bit odd, since the Mathematica people really should be aware of
the basics of the new world we live in (where analytical solutions have value,
but a combination of qualitative proofs and numerical methods
are what the world really depends upon, in everything from engineering to
quantum foundations).

Have a few related thoughts, but this is enough for now. Back to the job.

Best,

    Paul