[Paleopsych] Exposing Steve's rhetoric re: Social Security Privatization

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Sun Mar 6 03:03:50 UTC 2005

good research, Steve. Thanks. Did you read those reports, or just paste
the links?  I can't make heads or tails of the SSA stuff. CBO was much
clearer.

I read: http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=6068&sequence=0
CBO testimony:
Quote: If current spending and tax policies do not change, the aging of
the baby-boom generation, combined with rising health care costs, will
cause a historic shift in the United States' fiscal situation.
Consistently large annual budget deficits would probably lead to an
ever-growing burden of federal debt held by the public. As the
government claimed an increasing share of national savings, the private
sector would have less to invest in creating new business equipment,
factories, technology, and other capital. That "crowding out" would have
a corrosive and potentially contractionary effect on the economy.
Although placing federal fiscal policy on a sustainable path will not be
easy, the sooner that policymakers act to do so, the less difficult it
will be to make economic and budgetary adjustments.
End quote

Well, sounds like a problem to me! Shows in Figure 1 the shift into the
red around 2018. They say 2020.
Quote:To pay full benefits, the Social Security system will rely on
interest on, and ultimately the redemption of, government bonds held in
its trust funds. At that point, the Treasury will have to find the money
to cover those obligations. Policymakers can provide that money in three
ways: by cutting back other spending in the budget, by raising taxes, or
by increasing government borrowing.
End quote
You see, Steve, CBO says we have to redeem the IOUs. Where do we get the
money?  (Republcans and Democrats greedily spent the surplus money. Left
and Right are equally short-sighted.)

By 2050 we HAVE to cut benefits severely. What do we say to our
children?  (See Figure 1 and testimony)

Quote:

In the absence of other changes, the redemption of bonds can continue
until the trust funds are exhausted. In the Social Security trustees'
projections, that happens in 2042; in CBO's projections, it occurs about
a decade later, largely because CBO projects higher real
(inflation-adjusted) interest rates and slightly lower benefits for men
than the trustees do. Once the trust funds are exhausted, the program
will no longer have the legal authority to pay full benefits. As a
result, it will have to reduce payments to beneficiaries to match the
amount of revenue coming into the system each year. Although there is
some uncertainty about the size of that reduction, benefits would
probably have to be cut by 20 percent to 30 percent to match the
system's available revenue.

The key message is that some form of the program is, in fact,
sustainable indefinitely. With benefits reduced annually to match
available revenue (as they will be under current law when the trust
funds run out), the program can be continued forever. Of course, many
people may not consider a sudden cut in benefits of 20 percent to 30
percent to be a desirable policy. In addition, the budgetary demands of
filling the gap between benefits and dedicated revenues in the years
before the cut may prove onerous. But the program is sustainable from a
financing perspective.

What is not sustainable is continuing to provide the present level of
scheduled benefits (those based on the benefit formulas that exist
today) given the present financing. Under current formulas, outlays for
scheduled benefits are projected to exceed available revenues
indefinitely after about 2020 (see Figure 2
<http://www.cbo.gov/showdoc.cfm?index=6068&sequence=0#figure2>). That
gap cannot be sustained without continual--and substantial--injections
of funds from the rest of the budget.
 End quote

We have a serious problem. Where is the solution? One is private
accounts. What other model will actually work?