[Paleopsych] Fwd: Tortured Souls & Eunuchs at Orgies...

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Sun Mar 6 06:19:08 UTC 2005

In a message dated 3/3/2005 8:08:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
joe at quirk.net writes:

Mark:
This is amazing!  And hilarious, when it gets to the bit about  writers.  I'm
going to send this to my friend Howard Blooom, because it  fits in with his
theory.  An average of almost 4 years of life added to  life expectancy awarded
to winners among 762 individuals I'd say is  statistically significant.  Of
course we run into that same old  correlation-is-not-causation problem:  How do
we know people who are  naturally "vivacious" aren't more likely to win
Oscars and live longer?   Maybe vivacious people tend to exercise more, live
longer, and win more  Oscars.
Judith Rich Harris, who wrote "The Nurture Assumption", talks about this in
terms of broccoli.  She says an article will come out:  "Broccoli  eaters live
7 years longer!"  So reader assumes:  "Broccoli can  extend my life."  She
points out that this is faulty logic.  Maybe  people who eat broccoli also tend
to be people who jog and don't smoke, and  broccoli has nothing to do with
extending life.  She says that when these  kind of correlations confirm existing
biases, they are published as if they  prove something.  But when a
correleation is demonstrated that  contradicts existing biases, like, say, "Prayed for
outlive other cancer  patients" or "Adopted kids more violent if biological
parent was violent,"  then we all say, "Well, that doesn't mean... "
Still, a great little study report.  Thanks for sending it.
The question is, if I stop writing now, will it extend my life?
See what I mean?
Joe