[Paleopsych] oops, clarification

Paul J. Werbos, Dr. paul.werbos at verizon.net
Sat Mar 19 17:45:15 UTC 2005

Please forgive me for a gross typo!

The URL is:

www.ieeeusa.org/policy/energy_strategy.ppt

In general -- if we want to discuss aberrations of the human mind, how about
the aberration which thinks of problems in the Middle East
(oil, war and nuclear proliferation all combined) and high gas prices as a kind
of temporary rainshower certain to go away all by itself in a day or two?
Freud talks about denial -- but how long can an organism survive if,
when its life is threatened, it buries its head either in the sand or in
Michael Jackson's crotch or in sniffing noses in baseball lockers?
(The main events on TV and in Congressional discussion this week.
We did get what people call good attendance on Thursday... but
TV was all into other things.)

Why is IEEE (and the other folks we partnered with on Thursday at Rayburn)
just about the only group on the planet asking in a serious, honest way what
we can actually DO to save our lives? (Are engineers the last
small minority of people on earth who believe that a real world exists?)

Does anyone really care whether we do or not? Do they figure that oh, well,
their souls will be saved if they just pray on Sundays to the God of
hydrogen and
otherwise forget it? And do they expect the god of hydrogen to resurrect
their mangled bodies?

It really is a central question for psychology how organisms can be so weird.

Best,

    Paul W.