[Paleopsych] Prefrontal cortex brain waves predict body movement

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 21 13:58:12 UTC 2005

Scientists Discover What You Are Thinking
PASADENA, Calif. - By decoding signals coming from neurons, scientists at
the California Institute of Technology have confirmed that an area of the
brain known as the ventrolateral prefrontal cortex (vPF) is involved in the
planning stages of movement, that instantaneous flicker of time when we
contemplate moving a hand or other limb. The work has implications for the
development of a neural prosthesis, a brain-machine interface that will
give paralyzed people the ability to move and communicate simply by
thinking.
By piggybacking on therapeutic work being conducted on epileptic patients,
Daniel Rizzuto, a postdoctoral scholar in the lab of Richard Andersen, the
Boswell Professor of Neuroscience, was able to predict where a target the
patient was looking at was located, and also where the patient was going to
move his hand. The work currently appears in the online version of Nature
Neuroscience.
Most research in this field involves tapping into the areas of the brain
that directly control motor actions, hoping that this will give patients
the rudimentary ability to move a cursor, say, or a robotic arm with just
their thoughts. Andersen, though, is taking a different tack. Instead of
the primary motor areas, he taps into the planning stages of the brain, the
posterior parietal and premotor areas.
Rizzuto looked at another area of the brain to see if planning could take
place there as well. Until this work, the idea that spatial processing or
movement planning took place in the ventrolateral prefrontal cortex has
been a highly contested one. "Just the fact that these spatial signals are
there is important," he says. "Based upon previous work in monkeys, people
were saying this was not the case." Rizzuto's work is the first to show
these spatial signals exist in humans.
Rizzuto took advantage of clinical work being performed by Adam Mamelak, a
neurosurgeon at Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena. Mamelak was
treating three patients who suffered from severe epilepsy, trying to
identify the brain areas where the seizures occurred and then surgically
removing that area of the brain. Mamelak implanted electrodes into the vPF
as part of this process.
"So for a couple of weeks these patients are lying there, bored, waiting
for a seizure," says Rizzuto, "and I was able to get their permission to do
my study, taking advantage of the electrodes that were already there." The
patients watched a computer screen for a flashing target, remembered the
target location through a short delay, then reached to that location.
"Obviously a very basic task," he says.
"We were looking for the brain regions that may be contributing to planned
movements. And what I was able to show is that a part of the brain called
the ventrolateral prefrontal cortex is indeed involved in planning these
movements." Just by analyzing the brain activity from the implanted
electrodes using software algorithms that he wrote, Rizzuto was able to
tell with very high accuracy where the target was located while it was on
the screen, and also what direction the patient was going to reach to when
the target wasn't even there.
Unlike most labs doing this type of research, Andersen's lab is looking at
the planning areas of the brain rather than the primary motor area of the
brain, because they believe the planning areas are less susceptible to
damage. "In the case of a spinal cord injury," says Rizzuto, "communication
to and from the primary motor cortex is cut off." But the brain still
performs the computations associated with planning to move. "So if we can
tap into the planning computations and decode where a person is thinking of
moving," he says, then it just becomes an engineering problem--the person
can be hooked up to a computer where he can move a cursor by thinking, or
can even be attached to a robotic arm.
Andersen notes, "Dan's results are remarkable in showing that the human
ventral prefrontal cortex, an area previously implicated in processing
information about objects, also processes the intentions of subjects to
make movements. This research adds ventral prefrontal cortex to the list of
candidate brain areas for extracting signals for neural prosthetics
applications."
In Andersen's lab, Rizzuto's goal is to take the technology they've
perfected in animal studies to human clinical trials. "I've already met
with our first paralyzed patient, and graduate student Hilary Glidden and I
are now doing noninvasive studies to see how the brain reorganizes after
paralysis," he says. If it does reorganize, he notes, all the technology
that has been developed in non-paralyzed humans may not work. "This is why
we think our approach may be better, because we already know that the
primary motor area shows pathological reorganization and degeneration after
paralysis. We think our area of the brain is going to reorganize less, if
at all. After this we hope to implant paralyzed patients with electrodes so
that they may better communicate with others and control their
environment."