[Paleopsych] From Eshel--A Glitch in Genetic-centrism--Joel

Joel Isaacson isaacsonj at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 29 20:58:28 UTC 2005

Howard:

Your intuitions and metaphors below are generally on target.   But rather
than the music metaphor
I have used RESONANCE mechanisms within a technically-specific CA-based
model of visual perception.

In addition to Hawkins' book I'd recommend also Christof Koch's book on
"The Quest for Consciousness: A Neurobiological Approach" (2004).   Since
Val Geist
goes today into past events at the Konrad Lorenz Institute, I also have some
historical
notes that may shed some additional light on my approach --

In the mid-1980s I applied for DoD support to apply my cellular automata
(BIP & DIP)
to problems of automated visual pattern recognition.   I called it
“Dialectical Machine Vision”.

I did receive that support.  Later I learned that a Program Officer from the
Office of Naval Research,
Boston Office, took my application to MIT for informal review.  One of the
people who recommended it was Christof Koch, at that time a visiting
scientist in neurobiology (vision) and a groupie of the AI Lab.    Since the
early 1980s I had been in extensive dialogue with Marvin Minsky and many of
his grad students who took my CAs to Ed Fredkin’s CA-group for
implementation and testing – it worked just fine, but no one quite
understood why, or how to apply it in AI.

In 1994 I found out that Christof Koch had established himself at Caltech
and also became
a collaborator with Fransis Crick, then at the Salk Institute.  Their
ambitious program was
to discover neural correlates of consciousness (NCC), primarily thru the
study of vision
and visual awareness.

My report to DoD/ONR (1986) was squarely within that direction…  so, I
reestablished  contact
with Koch, and later sent him a copy of my report on “Dialectical Machine
Vision”.

During that period Francis Crick published his book “The Astonishing
Hypothesis” (1994),
in which he postulated a “reverberatory” mechanism between the Lateral
Geniculate Nucleus (LGN)
and area V1 in the visual cortex, along the visual pathway.   That was very
close to a “sensation-resonance”  process between LGN & V1 that had emerged