[Paleopsych] why I need you and you need me

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Sat May 7 00:01:19 UTC 2005

Thanks to your input and to the energy you give me I've been mapping out a
theory of the extracranial extensions of the self.  One part of that theory
says that when I get upset about a fight with my wife, I need to run to you  and
blurt out my tale.  Why?  On the surface, in order to calm myself  down.

But there's another reason.  Groups with the nimblest collective
intelligence outcompete groups with lame collective brains.  When I  have trouble in my
trek through tough emotional terrain--like the  terrain of a relationship--I
bring my report on that problem to a friend, to  you.  You calm me down.  In the
process you follow Alice in  Wonderland's rule:  "How do I know what I'm
thinking until I hear what I  have to say?"  You think out solutions that are
useful to you and are  useful to me.  In fact, you wonder when you've finished
delivering your  wisdom, why you could do this miraculous problem solving for me,
but you  couldn't do it for yourself.

My problem and your solution, if  we’re all very lucky, can do something
remarkable.  It can become a metaphor that helps us  understand other relations
that ride on shifting sands—from understanding how  particles behave or how
America has to deal with our Chinese trade deficit to  understanding what a
business needs to do next or to puzzling out the patterns  of signals we get from a
probe on the moon of a distant planet.

If the tale of what I've been through makes for a really good story, and if
your solution to my problem is a triumph, too, you get excited.  What  happens
to us humans when we're excited.  We need to share the excitement  with
someone else.  We need to blurt, to vent, and to brag.  So  you, having helped me,
call your spouse or a friend and send the tale of my  dilemma and your
solution out on the seas of the grapevine, out on the seas of  gossip, out on the sea
of collective information processing, collective  intelligence, and
collective memory.  In the process you and I help the  groups and subgroups we belong
to smart.

If we lived in a culture that forbade this sort of confession, this  constant
conversation about intimacy, we'd be a lot dumber.  Which my  explain why I
no longer want to write What the Nuclear Knights of Islam Want  From You: The
Osama Code.  Reading books on the history of Islam's founding  fathers, the
Companions of the Prophet, has worn me out.  How?  I'm  still trying to define
it, but these books dry out my brain.   They stop me from thinking.  There's no
introspective depth.  It  is very, very hard to kill my curiosity, but the
aridness of these Islamic  source books has managed to do it.

Is that because the culture within which these books have been written is
deprived of the cross-talk that takes place when we Westernizers run into
problems--especially problems that whack us with the whips and paddles of
confusion and insecurity?

Meanwhile, my limbic system--and probably yours--needs to resolve its
problems with my cortical consciousness not by sending a signal a mere four  inches
or so through the brain, but by going the thousands of miles it  takes to get
to you. Then you explain me to my self--you complete a loop from  the turmoil
of my emotional brain, my limbic system, to the somewhat  semi-calm of my
talking, thinking, and writing brain, my left frontal  and pre-frontal cortex.

If I read Jeff Hawkins' right, he says that this sort of loop creates a
memory that allows us to see the patterns of the immediate past and use those
patterns to predict the future.  And memory of this sort is a vital part of
collective intelligence.

Here's Hawkin's quote (once again).  See if you think it  applies:

auto-associative memories in neural nets.  "Instead of only passing
information forward...auto-associative memories fed the output of each neuron  back
into the input....  When a pattern of activity was imposed on the  artificial
neurons, they formed a memory of this pattern. ...To retrieve a  pattern stored
in such a memory, you must provide the pattern you want to  retrieve. ....The
most important property is that you don't have to have the  entire pattern you
want to retrieve in order to retrieve it.  You might  have only part of the
pattern, or you might have a somewhat messed-up  pattern.  The auto-associative
memory can retrieve the correct pattern, as  it was originally stored, even
though you start with a messy version of  it.  It would be like going to the
grocer with half eaten brown bananas and  getting whole green bananas in return.
...Second, unlike mist neural networks,  an auto-associative memory can be
designed to store sequences of patterns, or  temporal patterns.  This feature is
accomplished by adding time delay to  the feedback. ...I might feed in the
first few notes of 'Twinkle, Twinkle Little  Star' and the memory returns the
whole song.  When presented with part of  the sequence, the memory can recall
the rest." Jeff Hawkins, Sandra  Blakeslee.  On Intelligence.  New York: Times
Books, 2004: pp  46-47.

----------
Howard  Bloom
Author of The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition Into the  Forces of
History and Global Brain: The Evolution of Mass Mind From The Big Bang  to the
21st Century
Visiting Scholar-Graduate Psychology Department, New York  University; Core
Faculty Member, The Graduate  Institute
www.howardbloom.net
www.bigbangtango.net
Founder:  International Paleopsychology Project; founding board member: Epic
of Evolution  Society; founding board member, The Darwin Project; founder: The
Big Bang Tango  Media Lab; member: New York Academy of Sciences, American
Association for the  Advancement of Science, American Psychological Society,
Academy of Political  Science, Human Behavior and Evolution Society, International
Society for Human  Ethology; advisory board member: Youthactivism.org;
executive editor -- New  Paradigm book series.
For information on The International Paleopsychology  Project, see:
www.paleopsych.org
for two chapters from
The Lucifer  Principle: A Scientific Expedition Into the Forces of History,
see  www.howardbloom.net/lucifer
For information on Global Brain: The Evolution of  Mass Mind from the Big
Bang to the 21st Century, see  www.howardbloom.net