[Paleopsych] The Human Genome Project: A Cosmic Joke

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Sun May 15 14:49:22 UTC 2005

http://www.brucelipton.com/genome.php

In considering the minimal number of genes needed to make a human: we would
start with a base number of over 70,000 genes, one for each of the over
70,000 proteins found in a human. Then we include the number of regulatory
genes needed to provide for the complexity of patterns expressed in our
anatomy, physiology and behavior. Lets round-off the number of human genes
to a total of an even 100,000, by including a minimalist number of 30,000
regulatory genes.
Ready for the Cosmic Joke? The results of the Genome project reveal that
there are only about 34,000 genes in the human genome. Two thirds of the
anticipated genes do not exist! How can we account for the complexity of a
genetically-controlled human when there are not even enough genes to code
just for the proteins?