[Paleopsych] Oscillatory activity in the magnetoencephalogram during auditory processing and action preparation

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Sun May 15 16:26:09 UTC 2005

http://www.mp.uni-tuebingen.de/mp/index.php?id=131
Prof. Dr. Jochen Kaiser  <mailto:j.kaiser at med.uni-frankfurt.de>1 Prof. Dr.
Werner Lutzenberger  <mailto:werner.lutzenberger at med.uni-tuebingen.de>2
Dipl.-Psych. Susanne Leiberg
 <mailto:susanne.leiberg at med.uni-tuebingen.de>2, 3
1 Institute of Medical Psychology, University of Frankfurt
2 Institute of Medical Psychology and Behavioral Neurobiology, University
of Tubingen
3 Graduate School of Neural and Behavioral Sciences, University of Tubingen
The topography and time course of high frequency oscillatory activity in
the magnetoencephalogram (MEG) is studied by means of a statistical
probability mapping (for details see Lutzenberger et al., 2002). Our
research has two main foci:
Gamma band activity (GBA) during auditory processing
We investigate the role of GBA in bottom-up and top-down driven processing
of auditory information. Studying working memory for spectral and spatial
features of auditory stimuli we have found gamma band activity over the
putative auditory ventral and dorsal processing streams and over prefrontal
areas. These results suggest that the maintenance of auditory information
in working memory relies on the synchronisation of the firing activity in
neural networks belonging to the putative auditory processing streams and
prefrontal, supposedly executive regions. In upcoming studies we want to
gain further information about the role of GBA in top-down processes like
working memory and selective attention. We also want to study the alleged
relationship between the BOLD signal in fMRI and GBA in MEG using the same
experiments and the same subjects. The topographical convergence between
our GBA findings in auditory working memory studies and the BOLD findings
in fMRI studies using similar paradigms supports the results of recent
studies which point to an existing relationship between gamma oscillations
and changes in blood oxygen level as measured with fMRI.