[Paleopsych] free wills and quantum won'ts

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Tue May 17 03:19:31 UTC 2005

This is from a dialog Pavel Kurakin and I are having behind the  scenes.  I
wanted to see what you all thought of it.  Howard

You know that I'm a quantum skeptic.  I believe that our math is  primitive.
The best math we've been able to conceive to get a handle on  quantum
particles is probabilistic.  Which means it's cloudy.  It's  filled with multiple
choices.  But that's the problem of our math, not of  the cosmos.  With more
precise math I think we could make more precise  predictions.

And with far more flexible math, we could model large-scale things like
bio-molecules, big ones, genomes, proteins and their interactions.  With a  really
robust and mature math we could model thought and brains.  But that  math is
many centuries and many perceptual breakthroughs away.

As mathematicians, we are still in the early stone age.

But what I've said above has a kink I've hidden from view.  It implies  that
there's a math that would model the cosmos in a totally deterministic  way.
And life is not deterministic.  We DO have free will.  Free  will means
multiple choices, doesn't it?  And multiple choices are what the  Copenhagen School's
probabilistic equations are all about?

How could the concept of free will be right and the assumptions behind the
equations of Quantum Mechanics be wrong?  Good question.  Yet I'm  certain that
we do have free will.  And I'm certain that our current  quantum concepts are
based on the primitive metaphors underlying our existing  forms of math.
Which means there are other metaphors ahead of us that will  make for a more
robust math and that will square free will with determinism in  some radically new
way.

Now the question is, what could those new metaphors be?

Howard

----------
Howard Bloom
Author of The Lucifer Principle: A  Scientific Expedition Into the Forces of
History and Global Brain: The Evolution  of Mass Mind From The Big Bang to the
21st Century
Visiting Scholar-Graduate  Psychology Department, New York University; Core
Faculty Member, The Graduate  Institute
www.howardbloom.net
www.bigbangtango.net
Founder:  International Paleopsychology Project; founding board member: Epic
of Evolution  Society; founding board member, The Darwin Project; founder: The
Big Bang Tango  Media Lab; member: New York Academy of Sciences, American
Association for the  Advancement of Science, American Psychological Society,
Academy of Political  Science, Human Behavior and Evolution Society, International
Society for Human  Ethology; advisory board member: Youthactivism.org;
executive editor -- New  Paradigm book series.
For information on The International Paleopsychology  Project, see:
www.paleopsych.org
for two chapters from
The Lucifer  Principle: A Scientific Expedition Into the Forces of History,
see  www.howardbloom.net/lucifer
For information on Global Brain: The Evolution of  Mass Mind from the Big
Bang to the 21st Century, see  www.howardbloom.net