[Paleopsych] Olfaction and behavior: was What's the survival valueof PTSD?

Greg Bear ursus at earthlink.net
Tue May 17 16:26:52 UTC 2005

There's an enormous amount of anecdotal and research evidence that people do
in fact enjoy dirty laundry-among other sexual scents. Why raid panties in
dorms? Why the attraction to oral sex? Why put musk and ambergris in
perfume? (Ever seen a Kodiak bear roll around in the beached and rotting
corpse of a dead whale?*) They just don't like to talk about it in public,
and apparently, neither does Mr. Pinker. Women may be more crucially
sensitive to scent than men-after all, they have to make more important
genetic decisions, since their productive capacity is much more limited. I
can't tell you how many times women have told me about choosing their
husbands because they smell good.

When Somerset Maugham asked one of  H.G. Wells's young female lovers what
she found so attractive in the short, reedy-voiced, spiky-haired fellow, she
answered, "He smells like honey."

But of course, Wells also smelled like money at that point in his career!

Greg

*Decaying blubber probably produces every sterol known to the universe.

  _____