[Paleopsych] free wills and quantum won'ts

Thrst4knw at aol.com Thrst4knw at aol.com
Fri May 20 13:45:13 UTC 2005

Yes, I think new metaphors are needed, and new math, and probably also new
(perhaps interdisciplinary) ways of empirically testing hypotheses that relate
to the mind-brain question.  But I suggest there are still some fairly
significant gaps in our current knowledge that need to be bridged before we can begin
to apply and test such new ideas to directly bridge the classic divide of
"free will" and mechanism, or what some call the manifest and scientific images of
nature.

My suspicion is that Dan Dennett managed to capture one of the pieces the
concept of "free will" and why it confuses us ... our natural human talents let
us operate with different explanatory stances for different kinds of domain of
phenomena.   Without realizing why they are inane, we probably often get lost
in inane questions like whether "free will" exists. In effect I suspect that
we often end up arguing across different conceptual models where we don't have
the tools (at the time) to make them 'commensurable.'  In extreme cases like
this, Kuhn probably had a reasonable point about arguing across 'paradigms' and
such.

For example, having "choices" is something that make sense from the
perspective of a reasoning human agent trying to explain their behavior and that of
other reasoning human agents.  They have "choices" because they have (1) the
capacity to represent different outcomes which they value differently and (2)
because they have some weakly understood mechanism for feeding back that
information regarding that capacity into the parts of the nervous system that drive
behavior and initiate new patterns of attention and thought.  In other words, we
can envision different options and we can pick one.  More importantly, we
simply take that process for granted because it is wired into us.  We truly don't
know the specifics of how it is implemented in terms of causal models that
relate back to our sciences.  That leaves us with various extreme explanatory
options that rely more on individual plausibility than empirical testing for
their resolution.

I think it is the fact that (2) is so weakly understood that makes "free
will" remain a philosophical rather than (yet) a scientific issue.  (Naturalistic)
philosophers struggle with how the apparently emergent high level global
properties of mind can have a causal effect on the nervous system from which they
arise.  To oversimplify just for rhetorical purposes, having the mind do
something physical seems from a strictly monistic naturalist position a little like
the wetness of water having an effect on the hydrogen and oxygen that
composes it.  The question of "top down causation" of high level mind properties on
physical things is hard to get past.

I think this is not just a matter of metaphors and mathematics (broadly
speaking, what other thinking tools do we have?) but because we don't yet know the
specifics of how the mind's global high level properties arise from the
complex processes of the body.  The metaphors and math will have to bridge that gap
in order to bridge the physical and intentional explanatory stances.  That
means they will have to capture the evolutionary and developmental history of the
mind and how it gives rise to something capable of representing options and
choosing between them.

I've seen several speculative attempts at this, but nothing that yet comes
close to being what I would consider empirical.  My suggestion would be that we
should first map out the missing levels of description tentatively before
imagining that we've bridged the explanatory gap.  The cognitive linguists and
related cognitive scientists like Lakoff and Johnson and Mark Turner have made
some initial attempts at this, but I'm not yet persuaded that they've really
bridged the whole gap.  They have testable hypotheses about how neural function
leads to computation and loosely how computation leads to cognition, but no
model of cognition that captures the phenomena relevent to "top down causation"
as seen from the perspective of a human observer.

For example, look at all the different interpretations of Libet's "half
second delay" experiments; ranging from paranormal to outright denial, with
Dennett''s and Dan Wegner's naturalistic explanations in the middle. This kind of
phenomenon is important because raises central issues in the relationship of
perception, cognition, and "top down causation."  I think if we could agree on
what is happening there, we would have a huge step forward to understanding "free
will."

I think that is a more productive avenue than directly investigating quantum
effects, for example, although it seems unavoidable that "quantum spookiness"
and nature at the lowest levels will _eventually_ have to be considered
somewhere in the causal models.

kind regards,

Todd

In a message dated 5/16/2005 11:28:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,