[Paleopsych] SW: On Communication with Extraterrestrials

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Wed May 25 18:47:31 UTC 2005

Astrobiology: On Communication with Extraterrestrials
http://scienceweek.com/2004/sa041008-5.htm

    The following points are made by Woodruff T. Sullivan III (Nature 2004
    431:27):
    1) Although the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) has
    yet to detect a signal, the efforts continue because so little of the
    possible parameter space has been searched so far. These projects have
    almost all followed the dominant paradigm --launched 45 years ago by
    Cocconi and Morrison(1) -- of using radio telescopes to look for signs
    of extraterrestrial life. This focus on electromagnetic waves
    (primarily at radio wavelengths, but also at optical ones) was based
    on various arguments for their efficiency as a means of interstellar
    communication. However, Rose and Wright(2) have made the case that if
    speedy delivery is not required, long messages are in fact more
    efficiently sent in the form of material objects -- effectively
    messages in a bottle. Although the suggestion itself is not new(3,4),
    it had never before been backed up by quantitative analysis.
    2) A fundamental problem in searching for extraterrestrial
    intelligence is to guess the communications set-up of the
    extraterrestrials who might be trying to contact us. In which
    direction should we look for their transmitter? At which frequencies?
    How might the message be coded? How often is it broadcast? (For this
    discussion I am assuming that the signals are intentional, setting
    aside the a priori equally likely possibility that the first signal
    found could be merely leakage arising from their normal activities.)
    Conventional wisdom holds that they would set up a beam of
    electromagnetic waves, just as we could do with, for example, the
    305-meter Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico, Earth's most
    powerful radio transmitter, or a pulsed laser on the 10-meter Keck
    optical telescope in Hawaii. Rose and Wright(2) conclude, however,
    that the better choice would be to send packages laced with
    information.
    3) Unless the messages are short or the extraterrestrials are nearby,
    this "write" strategy requires less energy per bit of transmitted
    information than the "radiate" strategy does. Cone-shaped beams of
    radiation necessarily grow in size as they travel outwards, meaning
    that the great majority of the energy is wasted, even if some of it
    hits the intended target. A package, on the other hand, is not
    "diluted" as it travels across space, presuming that it's correctly
    aimed at its desired destination. For short messages, however,
    electromagnetic waves win out because of the overheads involved in
    launching, shielding and then decelerating a package, no matter how
    small it is. For a two-way conversation with extraterrestrials, the
    light-speed of electromagnetic waves is far superior.
    4) As an example of a large message, consider all of the written and
    electronic information now existing on Earth: it's estimated(5) to
    amount to about one exabyte (10^(18) bytes). Rose and Wright(2)
    calculate that, using scanning tunnelling microscopy, these bits could
    be inscribed (in nanometer squares) within one gram of material! But
    this precious package would still require a cocoon of 10,000 kilograms
    to accelerate it from our planet to a speed of 0.1% of the speed of
    light, protect it from radiation damage along a 10,000-light-year
    route, and then decelerate it upon arrival.