[Paleopsych] not smart enough (active learning)

Todd I. Stark thrst4knw at aol.com
Thu Nov 3 22:11:24 UTC 2005

The loaded notion of "smart" or "not smart" aside for just a moment, I
wanted to address this notion of teaching people according to
information processing mode.

I've seen it discussed in NLP and other  related sources, and always
been just a bit skeptical of it.  Not that I know for a fact that it is
completely wrong, though it seems rather weak to me at this point.  More
importantly, it does seem somewhat misguded to me in its intentions.  It
is based on a mechanistic notion of the brain and its learning
abilities, as if the human biocomputer were a simplistic multi-channel
transducer of some sort, with isolated channels. More current models of
brain function seem to acknowledge more active and wholistic human
talents and motivations.

So personally, I like to envison adult competence as largely a matter of
learning your own strengths and weaknesesses and finding strategies for
making the best of your own talents.

If people prefer information in a particular form, it is far more useful
educationally in my opinion to teach them ways to translate between
different kinds of information in their own manner, so they do not
depend on the rest of the world to be presented in a particular format
to them.  We know enough about the human brain to know that the  brain
doesn't store information for recall coded into different sensory
channels, it builds knowledge maps that make sense of situations in
context.  It does not make sense to solely try to present everything
someone is learning into some form that they may prefer.  That's like
encouraging a deaf person to only read signs and not lips.  It is hard
to find a humane justification for deliberately handicapping a person in
that manner in my opinion, unless there is no choice.

The old chestnut about teaching a person to fish rather than throwing
them a fish (or something like that :-)) comes to mind.   I think the
model I am fishing for here is called "mastery learning" or sometimes
"active learning."

I think if someone hasn't the neccessary talent for that form of active
learning, and can't aquire the skills, then it makes perfect sense to
conclude they have to learn in a less efficient manner such as spoon
feeding them in particular ways.  I think we should realistically
distinguish talent (and lack thereof) where it is truly meaningful to
outcomes, such as the capacity for self-directed learning and specific
teaching strategies.

kind regards,

Todd