[Paleopsych] BBC: Brain structure link to anxiety

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Sat Nov 12 18:33:04 UTC 2005

Comment: We know now that activity changes the structure of the brain.
Violinists, for example, have a larger motor strip; London taxi drivers
have a larger hippocampus. So what this news doesn't say is the
cause/effect relationship. Why wouldn't enough trauma overwhelm and
ventromedial prefrontal cortex? Hum??? Why wouldn't children taught
hardiness cognitive strategies then develop a more robust frontal lobe?
We have seen a number of these studies, and all are vulnerable to the
post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Another factor they seem to overlook
is habitual level of happiness. People who are more happy are less
intimidated by pain (like the small shocks) and actually rate the same
cold-pressor pain stimulus as less painful than less happy people.

Thanks for the provocative article, Frank.
Lynn