[Paleopsych] sociopaths

Michael Christopher anonymous_animus at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 19:38:14 UTC 2005

Steve says
>>I can't remember the name of the book, but some
time ago some people wrote a book claiming that our
child-rearing practices were creating an increased
number of sociopaths- empathy impaired.  When I think
about children killing children these days, I think
they were right.<<

--No doubt single mothers who are depressed or have
frequent mood swings will produce kids who develop
immunity to empathy as a survival skill. Without other
adults to provide refuge for the child, any emotional
imbalance in the mother would be especially difficult
for the child to live through without damage.

Sociopaths may also be created by a climate of intense
social competition, in which those who are more
sensitive simply fall to the bottom, unable to exploit
group dynamics to their advantage. In that case,
sociopaths wouldn't necessarily increase in number,
but only in influence. If the "game" is stacked so
that those who exploit others have an advantage, many
would appear to be sociopathic who are merely
adapting.