[Paleopsych] Telegraph: Fountain Pens "too risky" For under-14-year-olds"

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Sun Nov 20 18:43:44 UTC 2005

Fountain pens 'too  risky for under-14s'
http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/11/12/npens12.xml

[Somehow, I am still alive. I'm sure I had fountain pens from grade school,
since ball point pens were not widespread until later. It was too late for a
quill, so when I didn't use a pencil, it must have been a fountain pen. Any
further reminiscences?]

"Fountain pens are too dangerous for children under the age of 14, the British
Standards Institution says.After decades when young pupils were encouraged to
master penmanship, the benefits of developing good handwriting are now seen to
be outweighed by the risk of swallowing the cap.

Waterman has inserted a small slip with its pens which reads:  "This product is
not intended for use by anyone under the age of 14 years."British Standard
7272, drafted in 1990 and updated several times, sets out strict guidelines on
how pens should be made. It says a pen cap should have a small hole to allow a
child to breathe if he or she swallows it. Pens with no hole are seen as
unsuitable for under-14s. .... Kevin Jones, the headmaster of St John's College
School, Cambridge, with 460 pupils aged four to 13, said: "Perhaps I will have
to employ pen police."