[Paleopsych] Chronicle Colloquy: Acupuncture Meets Aspirin

Todd I. Stark thrst4knw at aol.com
Mon Nov 21 19:36:57 UTC 2005

Well yeah, exactly right.

I think it is true that there is sufficient empirical data and
sufficient investigation of some possible mechanisms of action to say
that acupuncture has as at least as much surface legitimacy as a
modality as many surgical and pharmaceutical treatments, at least for
some problems, and a plausibly better track record for adverse effects
in most cases.  The remaining gap between acupuncture and Western
medicine is not one of perceived efficacy as much as it is one of
incorporating it as a modality into the Western research model  so that
it can potentially be improved even further.  We don't have much trouble
testing the effects of therapeutic massage, but when we deal with
something that has a lot of distinctly non-mechanistic aspects to its
theory like acupuncture or Yoga (or hypnotherapy for that matter!), we
get all caught up in being unable to capture the practice variables in a
way that lets us tweak and improve on them.  It shouldn't prevent us
from validating the practice in some sense, but it definitely makes it
harder to translate it into a model that helps us understand better the
way it works.

Todd