[Paleopsych] Fwd: why wildlife thrives in North America--from Valerius Geist

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Tue Nov 22 07:22:20 UTC 2005

Dear Howard,
Thank you!
Your invitation with that of  Steve Zuckermann to VisionquestLive is highly
appreciated. Thank you also  putting your book online, which is excellent as
ever!  I cannot attend VisionquestLive due to  the exorbitant cost of travel
within this continent, but, having read a good  portion of your book, I may be
permitted to make a comment even one that, in  think-tank-circumstances, might
be considered to be helpful to your goal.
Too bad you and I have not  discussed this earlier, however, better late than
never!
The devil is in the details!
I too have been singing a eulogy  to a uniquely North American way of using
capitalism, namely by embedding into  commerce not private, but public
ownership of a huge renewable resource,  wildlife, in order to generate – highly -
successful ecological regeneration and  restoration while simultaneously creating
massive wealth and employment.
The devil is in the details!
The greatest environmental  success story in the 20th century is the
restoration of wildlife and  biodiversity to the North American continent. I beg you
to prove me wrong on  this one!
At the end of the 19th  century wildlife as a whole, not merely the hapless
buffalo, were nearly  eradicated continent wide by a classical case of the “
tragedy of the commons”.  From this destruction rose, through private initiative,
a system of wildlife  conservation which restored wildlife in the succeeding
decades, but  simultaneously made it a source of great wealth creation, of
incredibly  innovative, diverse industry, and of large scale public participation
by all  classes of North American society. So successful is this system of
grass-roots  conservation that parts of the environmental community is exploring
how to apply  it globally. I am appending a paper in press I gave in  Ireland
on that  topic.  Here capitalism thrives on  the sustainable use of a public
resource. And that’s a miracle, because the lessons of this system have  been
lost in exploiting ocean fisheries, or old growth forest, or agriculture
..etc. Had we applied the lessons of our successful system of wildlife
conservation to other renewable resources, if we were to mange other renewable
resources the way North Americans managed deer or wild geese, then captains of
industry applying current practices would be in jail!
Capitalism is a tool. It is a  powerful tool. It is like molten steel which,
uncontained in a crucible and  carefully managed is sheer wreckage! And that’s
the rub! What the North American Model of Wildlife  Conservation shows is
how, in a thoroughly capitalistic society, grassroots  democracy cutting across
all classes of North Americans can be captured to  deliver an enormous public
good, while generating private wealth and rich  employment!
This model show HOW to twist  capitalism to deliver great public good. It
shows how capitalism can be a  joyous, diverse, marvelously positive enterprise.
The devil is in the details!
Capitalism by itself is a tool,  more complex than an ax or a gun, far more
complex and dynamic, but a tool just  the same. What counts in progress is how
to use that tool. And that’s where the  wildlife conservation model North
Americans evolved over a century is so  insightful.
And that’s what we need to  understand: by what hands-on means do we progress
towards that which you address  in your thoughts as revitalizing capitalism.
Cheers, Val Geist