[Paleopsych] Patricia A. Williams: The Fifth R: Jesus as Evolutionary Psychologist

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Thu Sep 1 00:25:27 UTC 2005

Patricia A. Williams: The Fifth R: Jesus as Evolutionary Psychologist Theology
and Science, Vol. 3, Issue 2 (2005), pp 133-43.

The historical Jesus seems to have known about human nature as described by
evolutionary psychology. He addresses the dispositions of human nature that
evolutionary psychology says are central: resources, reproduction, relatedness
(kinship), and reciprocity. In doing so he answers Aristotle's question, how
can human beings flourish? His answer opens a window onto the divine.

Patricia A. Williams is a philosopher of biology and philosophical theologian
who writes full-time on Christianity and science. Her recent books include,
Doing Without Adam and Eve: Sociobiology and Original Sin (2001) and Where
Christianity Went Wrong, When, and What you Can do about it (2001). Her mailing
address is PO Box 69, Covesville, VA 22931. Her e-mail address is
theologyauthor at aol.com; website www.theologyauthor.com.

-----------------

I have argued in Doing without Adam and Eve: Sociobiology and Original Sin that
Christian doctrines of original sin are only partly true and that most
Christian doctrines of the atonement are flatly false.1 These doctrines depend
on the historicity of Adam and Eve, and science shows us that Adam and Eve
cannot be historical figures. In my more recent book, Where Christianity Went
Wrong, When, and What You Can Do About It,2 a work based on historical Jesus
scholarship, I argued further that Jesus did not perceive his own death as a
sacrifice for sin; indeed, he did not consider sacrifices for the forgiveness
of sin necessary. Since these arguments undermine doctrines previously
considered central to Christianity, they appear to make Jesus irrelevant.
However, to draw that conclusion would be wrong. I argue here that Jesus is
relevant at least in part because he is an astonishingly perceptive
evolutionary psychologist. As such, he answers Aristotle's famous ethical
question, "how can human beings flourish?" and offers us a window onto the
divine.

To answer Aristotle's question or, indeed, questions in ethics in general,
requires a theory of human nature. We need to know who we are before we can
figure out how to flourish. Now, for the first time in history, we have a
scientific theory of human nature. It is evolutionary psychology.

Evolutionary psychology emerged in the early 1970s. Now the subject has its own
textbook,3 a plethora of laborers in its vineyard, and considerable empirical
support. Moreover, evolutionary psychology is rooted in sociobiology, a
scientific theory that has had great heuristic value and made successful
predictions about the social behavior of other animals for almost 40 years. The
four central concepts of evolutionary psychology derive from sociobiology and
they are well established. They are the four R's of human nature and much of
the rest of nature as well: resources, reproduction, relatedness, and
reciprocity.

Human nature's four Rs

People pursue resources. To survive, all organisms must do so. People
reproduce. To continue the existence of their gene line, all mortal creatures
must do so. These two Rs, resources and reproduction, are essential to the
continued existence of the organic world. For sexually reproducing organisms
like ourselves, sex is also essential (although not for every individual).

Relatedness as such is, of course, essential too. Reproduction produces related
organisms, by definition. Here, however, relatedness refers to inclusive
fitness, the concept at the foundation of sociobiology.

In classic evolutionary theory, an organism is fit if it survives to reproduce.
In sociobiology, fitness moves from the individual organism to include its
close relatives. In inclusive fitness theory, organisms help close relatives
survive to reproduce. The classic case is parents helping dependent offspring
grow to maturity. Biologists from Darwin on knew that organisms also help
organisms other than offspring, but they did not know why. Sociobiology
explained why. Organisms help close relatives because close relatives carry
copies of the helper's genes. It turns out that the most accurate way to view
evolution is from the point of view of the gene, and the evolutionary goal is
to get as many copies of one's genes into the next generation as possible. An
organism does this by reproduction, certainly, but also by helping most those
relatives most likely to be carrying copies of its genes. Many organisms know
who their close kin are—by smell, by sight, by sharing a common nest or mother,
and by chemical cues. Of course, none knows about genes. None needs to. All an
organism needs to be able to do is to recognize and help its relatives.

Inclusive fitness theory permits helping behavior that is not ultimately
egocentric or even a hidden form of egocentricity. The helping organism need
not expect help in return for its aid because its reward is built into the
situation. In return for helping relatives, the organism gets more copies of
its genes into the next generation. Of course, it does not know this, so it
cannot be behaving selfishly.

Finally, for organisms that can recognize individuals and remember them and
their deeds of help and harm, reciprocity becomes salient. Reciprocity entails
equal exchange and may occur between organisms that are not kin. Reciprocity is
egocentric: the helper expects help in return and in an amount equal to the
help given. Few animals have the memories requisite to engage in reciprocity,
but we do. We are creatures who reciprocate. Much of our lives are devoted to
the exchange of goods and favors, and much of our justice system exists to
enforce reciprocal relationships like contracts and marriages. The sense that
reciprocity is justice underlies the legalization of the death penalty for
murder.

Few people doubt that the continued existence of the organic world on Earth is
good and, so, logically the things that make its continuance possible are good.
This entails that the four R's are good, but suppose we re-label them. If we
engage in them too vigorously, the pursuit of resources becomes greed; of
reproduction, lust; of relatedness, nepotism; and of reciprocity, justice for
me and my group, to the exclusion of justice for you and your group.

As the pursuit of resources is the most basic need of any organism, so greed is
the simplest excess. It entails hoarding more than a person needs, sometimes to
the direct detriment of the person, as when we eat to the point of obesity, but
also to the detriment of society, as when the economic system is such that a
few become ludicrously rich while the many remain poor.

Lust is more complex, for it involves two sexes, and evolutionary psychology
demonstrates that, because of their biological roles, male and female differ in
their sexual desires. By definition, males produce smaller sex cells. This
means that, with a few interesting but irrelevant exceptions, male organisms
invest less in their offspring than females. In mammals such as ourselves,
females make an additional investment, for they carry and nourish their
offspring internally for a period, and then feed them milk their bodies make.
With his small investment, the man can walk away from a pregnancy he has caused
without great loss, even if his child dies, but the woman loses greatly if her
child dies, for she has invested greatly. Usually her best evolutionary
strategy is to continue investing until her child is able to take care of
itself.

The result of these differences is that men's best evolutionary strategy is to
impregnate many women, whereas a woman's best strategy is to be impregnated by
a healthy, prosperous man who will devote his resources to their children. The
result after millions of years of evolution is lustful males and sexually
cautious females, on average.

Marriage complicates the picture further. If a man is to spend his adult years
investing his resources in his wife's children (there are marriage systems
where this is not the case, but they are not relevant here), he needs to be
certain that they are also his children. Therefore, he must guard against his
wife's adultery. Millions of years of evolution have produced jealous males who
will punish women vigorously for adultery—sometimes brutally, sometimes
fatally.

Thus, evolution has burdened women doubly. On average, women invest more than
men in offspring and on average men punish women more than they punish each
other for adultery. Put simply, men lust more; women suffer more.

Nepotism is even more complex, but it is easier to explain. Dependent children
need their parents' special love and support in order to survive to adulthood,
so special parental love is necessary and good. However, it does not end when
the child becomes an adult; indeed parents continue to love their children more
than they love other people's children—and therefore more than they love other
people—for the life of the parent. However, special love for adult relatives
easily becomes nepotism (unfair favoritism). If pursued systematically, it
becomes tribalism and, reversed, may result in discrimination against or even
murder of non-relatives or members of other tribes. It can turn into genocide.

Most complex of all is reciprocity. Although Aristotle knew nothing of
sociobiology, he built much of his ethical theory on giving others their due.
Being familiar with sociobiology, Richard D. Alexander4 and Matt Ridley5 both
explicitly developed ethical theories that place reciprocity at the center of
ethics. Yet reciprocity is a double-edged sword. It may call for justice in the
abstract and justice for others, but often it cries for justice for myself, for
my kin, for my group. Reciprocity endorses an eye for an eye. It recommends
vengeance. It may also give rise to paranoid vigilance that keeps asking
whether the exchange has really been equal. Was I cheated? Again?

Greed, lust, nepotism, and justice exclusively for oneself and one's group are
the main vices that spring from the four R's. However, the four R's produce
virtues too. The virtue that uses resources is generosity, the ability to give
resources freely to others. From the desire for reproduction, love springs, the
sort of love that sweeps ego aside and encourages the lover to enhance the
beloved's welfare. The reproductive desire results in love for people who are
not close kin. The virtue founded on relatedness is love also, a steady love
for relatives that we can transfer from relatives to all others by symbolizing
all people as related. Reciprocity can beget friendships and other
relationships of equality, a personal caring that does not keep a ledger of
gain and loss. It, too, might develop into generosity and love.

Thus, evolution has given us enormous potential for both good and evil, and it
has provided a wide range of choices, from egocentricity that seeks the
destruction of others to generosity and love that seek to further their
welfare. We are remarkably flexible and free. That is the primary reason we
find it so difficult to answer Aristotle's question about how to flourish. If
we have such a range of desires and can engage in such an enormous number of
activities, then which are those that best promote our flourishing?

Therefore, to answer Aristotle's question, we need to know about the four Rs,
which are the central themes of human nature. We need to recognize their
centrality in our psychological makeup and to know their potential to lead us
into vice and virtue. Finally, we need to grasp how best to handle them so that
all people may flourish. Without knowing anything about Aristotle—not to
mention evolutionary psychology!—these things are precisely what the historical
Jesus knows, discusses, and enacts.

Jesus and the simplest R's

The figure known as "the historical Jesus" is neither the Jesus of the Gospels,
who is many contradictory persons, nor the "real" Jesus, whoever that would be.
Whoever it was, we cannot recover him now. The historical Jesus is a scholarly
reconstruction that most Jesus scholars base primarily on the synoptic Gospels:
Matthew, Mark, and Luke. Some scholars also use the Gospel of Thomas, which was
recovered with the discovery of ancient documents at Nag Hammadi in 1945. All
Jesus scholars also use other historical materials that inform them about the
situation in Palestine from about 200 BCE to 100 CE. These materials include
Greek and Roman archives, the works of Josephus and other ancient scholars, the
Hebrew Scriptures, Jewish intertestamental literature, the Dead Sea Scrolls,
and the findings of archaeology. Most scholars exclude the Gospel attributed to
John because they think it contains very little historical material going back
to Jesus.

As philosopher of historical methodology Raymond Martin notes in his book on
the works of outstanding Jesus scholars, the historical Jesus scholars are
professional historians doing expert work that meets the standards of modern
scholarship.6 John P. Meier explains their methodology at length,7 and Funk,
Hoover, and the Jesus Seminar explain it more succinctly while also laying out
clearly how and why historians view the Gospels as they do.8 The Jesus I refer
to is the scholars' reconstruction. The main effect of using their
reconstruction here is to restrict the passages of scripture I discuss to those
the scholars think go back to the historical Jesus.

The historical Jesus perhaps says more about the use of resources than about
any other subject. He speaks about resources in short sayings like "Do not
worry about your life, what you will eat, or about your body, what you will
wear" and "Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither
storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them" and "Consider the lilies, how they
grow: they neither toil nor spin; yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory
was not clothed like one of these" (Luke 12:22, 24, 27 NRSV). Jesus says God
takes care of them and will take care of us. He says we spend too much time
worrying and working over resources.

He tells stories like that of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19 – 26). The
rich man, who dressed and dined lavishly, ignored poor, sick Lazarus at his
gate. After both die, the rich man finds himself in hell, staring at Lazarus in
heaven. Here Jesus emphasizes our common humanity and the skewed distribution
of resources in the ancient world, where the rich got rich by exploiting the
poor. Those who neglect their less fortunate neighbors, who consider their own
wealth a sign of their favor in God's sight and poverty and sickness signs of
disfavor, are wrong. We live together, and we cannot flourish separately.

Perhaps the most poignant of the stories scholars attribute to Jesus concerns
an unnamed farmer who is blessed with such abundant harvests he decides to tear
down his already full barns and build bigger ones to hold his burgeoning
produce. Jesus calls him a fool, for he will die that night, and he cannot take
his carefully conserved resources with him (Luke 12:16 – 20). Perhaps he should
have considered the lilies and ravens or the suffering poor and used his wealth
rather than hoarding it.

The Gospels tell us little about what Jesus thought about sex. Moreover, Jesus
scholars think the few sayings attributed to Jesus in the Gospels that deal
with sex are not certain to go back to the historical Jesus. The main exception
is Jesus' prohibition of divorce (Matt. 5:31 – 32).

In Judaism in Jesus' day, women could not divorce their husbands, but husbands
could divorce their wives, often for trivial reasons. At the same time, women
depended on men for protection and income. A woman without a husband was in
trouble, and a divorced woman was tarnished goods. Thus, Jesus' prohibition of
divorce protected women. In a different culture, he might have offered
different protection—say, equal pay for equal work or heavy penalties against
men for spousal abuse. The point of the prohibition is not that divorce is
wrong but that women need protection from the power men want to exercise over
them, as evolutionary psychology suggests. From the point of view of legality,
Jesus' prohibition of divorce is inconsistent with his usual laxness about
laws; legal consistency would expect him to allow divorce. However, his
prohibition of divorce is consistent with his tendency to protect the
disadvantaged, whether the poor, the sick, children, or women. In prohibiting
divorce, Jesus was protecting women.

His concern for the equality of women appears again in a story about a woman
caught in adultery, currently recounted in the Gospel according to John (7:53 –
8:11). Although found in John, the narrative is not thought to be originally
part of John's Gospel: the style is not John's and the passage is not in some
of the earliest copies of John that we have. It also floats around in John and
even shows up in early versions of other Gospels. Yet it is attested by early
church historians and is consistent with other deeds and sayings known to come
from the historical Jesus. Scholars think it probably goes back to Jesus.

The narrative tells of some men bringing before Jesus a woman who, they claim,
they have caught in the act of adultery. They ask whether she should be put to
death by stoning, as the law required. Jesus replies that the sinless man
should throw the first stone, and the men slowly depart, leaving the woman to
live.

This story fits evolutionary psychology perfectly. Evolutionary psychology says
that men are more lustful than women are but, at the same time, they want to
stop their women from committing adultery and may be brutal in order to do so.
The story says the men caught the woman in the act. If so, they necessarily
caught the man in the act as well, but he is nowhere to be found. The men want
to punish only the woman, despite the fact that the Torah calls for the deaths
of both parties (Lev. 20:10; Deut. 22:22). Jesus, knowing men's hearts, says
okay, stone her if you are sinless, and the men retire, their own lust exposed.
Again, Jesus is protecting women and making the battle between the sexes more
equal than the men had wished.

Less certain to go back to the historical Jesus is the story about the
Samaritan woman with whom Jesus converses at the well in Samaria. The story is
only in John's Gospel (4:5 – 42). Yet it is consistent with what scholars know
about Jesus, who behaved in ways his society disapproved. He talks to the woman
in public, not acceptable behavior for a Jewish man, and she is a Samaritan,
member of a group that Jews despised. It turns out that she has had several
"husbands," that is, lovers, but although Jesus knows this, he does not
withdraw from the conversation. He does not appear to condemn her illicit
sexual behavior.

The other almost certain item scholars know about Jesus regarding sex is that
he was celibate. Among Jews, whom the Torah commanded to be fruitful and
multiply (Gen. 1:28), Jesus' celibacy might seem unlikely. However, many of the
prophets were celibate, and John the Baptist and those members of the Jewish
sect of Essenes who lived in the wilderness probably were as well. Yet Jesus
never praises celibacy, and his leading disciple, Peter, is married (Mark
1:30).

Nothing more is known about Jesus' attitude toward reproductive relations
except that he seems to have liked and protected children, and many women were
among his followers and were active among the first generation of Christians,
so he must have welcomed them into the group around him. Considering how
aroused people get about sexual/reproductive relations the world over, Jesus
seems amazingly calm and unperturbed. He calls a married man to be his leading
disciple, yet remains celibate. He cares for children, yet has none of his own.
He does not get excited about illicit sexual relationships, yet protects women
from men's brutality toward them in the crucial issues of adultery and divorce.

Indeed, concerning the two least complicated Rs, resources and reproduction,
Jesus advises us to be at ease. About resources, he suggests we behave more
like other animals, not worrying so much about the future but enjoying the
fruits we have today. The prayer attributed to him says, "Give us this day our
daily bread" (Matt. 6:11 NRSV) rather than asking for a good harvest to store
away. Yet Jesus is not an ascetic. On the contrary, he parties enough to be
accused of drunkenness and gluttony (Matt. 11:19). Jesus seems to steer a
middle course, and this suggests that he is insufficiently attracted to this R
either to pursue or to reject it. He uses resources without being possessed by
them.

His attitude toward reproduction is similar, except that he seems to have
studied this chapter of his evolutionary psychology textbook even more
carefully. Knowing of men's lust and their desire to control women's
reproduction, brutally if necessary, he tries to protect and help women, making
the reproductive relationships equal. Other than that, his attitude seems to be
"take it or leave it." Again, he is insufficiently attracted to this R either
to pursue or to reject it.

Jesus and the other R's

To understand Jesus on the other two R's—relatedness and reciprocity—requires
some knowledge of Judaism in Jesus' day.

The Jews had two ancient beliefs. They believed God had chosen them out of all
the nations on Earth to be God's special people, and they believed God had
promised them a particular piece of land, that it was God's holy land, and that
they were to live on it and to cultivate it as their own. Yet in the first
century, Jews were scattered across the Roman Empire and beyond, and Rome was
sovereign over the holy land where Jews thought only God should reign. Most
Jews who cried for justice wanted to drive Rome out of God's land, their land.

A newer belief about chosenness invaded Judaism about the time of the Exile.
Some Jews thought God had chosen only a remnant of the Jewish people and had
doomed all other Jews. This remnant theology often included apocalyptic
eschatology, the idea that the end of the age was near and that it would
culminate in holy and devastating war led by God's messiah and fought by his
angels and the holy remnant against the Romans and the condemned Jews. In the
end, God would establish justice, that is, God would vindicate the remnant and
destroy the other Jews and the gentiles who did not convert to worship of the
Jewish God. Moreover, all twelve Jewish tribes, including the ten that had
disappeared centuries ago, would assemble in the holy land along with the
(good) Jews from the Diaspora. These exclusivist and violent beliefs caused
three centuries of sporadic civil war among the Jews, when Jews murdered other
Jews and called it God's justice. The civil wars culminated in the Roman
destruction of the Temple in 70 CE.

Jewish themes, then, were land (resources), kinship (relatedness), and justice
(reciprocity seen as self-vindication), all under the aegis of the one and only
God. (Other Jews had apparently been reading evolutionary psychology, too.)
Given Jewish circumstances, these themes provided a recipe for
self-destruction. Self-destruction arrived via civil war and Roman
exasperation.

Jesus stepped into this stew as an itinerant preacher. His career began with
John the Baptist (Mark 1:1 – 11) who was preaching by the Jordan River,
announcing the forgiveness of sins through baptism. In this, John was not
following Torah, which commanded sacrifices in the Temple for the forgiveness
of sins. Jesus' indifference toward the Temple, symbol of Jewish chosenness,
relatedness, and covenantal reciprocity with God, implies that he was not
attracted to these Jewish themes.

Relatedness, in particular, was not high on Jesus' list of sacred subjects. In
an extremely well attested incident (Mark 3:31 – 35), Jesus was talking with
his close disciples and friends when his mother and brothers approached and
asked to see him. When Jesus' disciples told him his family was outside, Jesus
not only refused to see them but also disowned them. He stated, instead, that
his friends were his family. In so far as Jesus was unmarried, he also rejected
the relatedness that comes with children and in-laws. As a good evolutionary
psychologist, he knew that families are naturally hierarchical and promote
nepotism. Jesus wanted to emphasize equality and the common kinship of all
people.

His emphasis on our common kinship stands in stark contrast to the Jewish claim
that all Jews were related and special in God's sight because all were the
offspring of one man, Abraham. Abraham, they claimed, was their father. Jesus
referred to God as father, not Abraham. God, of course, in Jewish theology, is
creator of all, the father of all people, not merely the Jews.

Jesus tells stories about fathers in which the father represents God. In the
story of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11 – 32), a younger son asks for his
inheritance before his father dies, then goes off and violates Jewish law,
finally tending pigs, animals the Torah calls unclean. He even envies the pigs.
When, broke and hungry, he returns home hoping to become one of his father's
servants, his father embraces him, forgives him, and throws a feast for him,
much to the chagrin of the prodigal's elder brother who has faithfully remained
home and served their father well. If this father represents God, Jesus is
implying that God loves and saves the unfaithful as well as the faithful. This
is not remnant theology.

It is not reciprocity, either. Indeed, the father seems generous to a fault.
Jesus seems well aware of the human desire for reciprocity and its offshoot,
justice, and he constantly discourages seeking them. Well known are his short
sayings denigrating the Torah reciprocity of an eye for an eye. The sayings
suggest, instead, that if people batter one cheek, turn the other; if they sue
for a coat, give them a cloak also, and if they force a person to go a mile, go
two (Matt. 5:38 – 41). These statements all reject reciprocity.

Jesus also tells stories that portray reciprocity and justice negatively. The
prodigal son is one such story. It depicts the elder brother as wanting
justice. He is angry about his father's embrace of his brother, even after the
father assures him that all the father has is his (Luke 15:31). He repudiates
and perhaps envies the father's generosity even after the father tells him that
he will lose nothing by it.

An even more relevant story is that of the day laborers (Matt. 20:1 – 15).
Jesus tells of a landowner who hires some laborers early in the morning and
promises them a day's wage—a fair wage, probably, since they accept it. He
hires others later, some as late as evening. When time comes to pay the
laborers, he pays the late-hired a whole day's wage, and those hired earlier
complain. The landowner wants to know what their complaint is. They received
the agreed wage. The landowner did not cheat them.

Nevertheless, they feel resentful. They expected reciprocity to be the rule the
landowner would use to pay his workers. Instead, the landowner displayed
generosity, and his generosity angered them. First century history tells who
the angry figures represent. They typify the remnant theologians and their
followers who expected God to repay their faithfulness with victory and
vindication and condemn all the unfaithful, which is to say, all the Jews who
disagreed with them.

Repeatedly, Jesus rejected reciprocity in favor of generosity and forgiveness.
The rabbis had suggested that a person should be forgiven three times. The
Gospels report that Jesus recommended seven (Luke 17:4), a symbolic number
standing for wholeness or completion. The most extreme report has Jesus saying
to forgive 77 times (Matt. 18:22). A figurative doubling of completion or
infinity seems to be implied. This is probably Matthew's emendation, but the
idea of infinite forgiveness apparently goes back to Jesus.

Jesus was wiser than those who want to make ethics center on reciprocity. He
knew that placing reciprocity at the center of ethics generates ruinous
results. Reciprocity justifies vengeance. It stifles generosity. It encourages
self-centeredness, self-righteousness, and paranoia. Borrowing from the Torah,
Jesus recommends a better way: love your neighbor; love, he says, is the heart
of the Torah and the prophets (Matt. 22:39 – 40). Love is generous; love
forgives; love helps others and casts out fear.

In contrast, reciprocity is egocentric. Placing it at the center of ethics
encourages people to guard their own interests and mistrust other people. In
doing so, it leaves them lonely and fearful, and therefore they seek groups
that emphasize conformity, enforce strict rules, and proclaim their own
self-described goodness while denouncing outsiders' evil. Jesus knew such
people and such groups—the remnant theologians and their followers. He looked
around him and saw that a strong emphasis on reciprocity does not lead to a
flourishing life.

Yet Jesus embraced equality for the poor and powerless. The concept of
egalitarianism might spring from reciprocity, but they are not the same. Jesus
seems to think that the rich might give to the poor without asking return, and
husbands might treat their wives with the same equality they offer to their
fellow men.

Jesus and the Divine

To say that Jesus was an excellent evolutionary psychologist is not to claim
that he knew anything about evolution. He was probably a typical Palestinian
Jew of his time in his knowledge of the world. He would have known the Torah
said God created the world in six days and created Adam and Eve as the first
human beings. Jesus probably would not have known much history except as the
Hebrew Scriptures represent it, and he would have known no science.
Nonetheless, he had remarkable insights into human nature as evolutionary
psychology discloses it and profound solutions on how to cope with it, based on
compassion, especially for the powerless. His slogan might have been "equality,
not reciprocity," which amounts to generosity by those who have power and
wealth to those who have neither. Jesus represents God's generosity this way:
God gives without requiring return.

The Gospels tell us that the divine touched Jesus at his baptism and, after
that, he exorcised the possessed, healed the sick, and forgave sinners.
Josephus, too, says Jesus was "a doer of wonderful works." 9 Wonderworkers were
said to work by divine agency, and there seems little doubt that Jesus was
close to God, filled with the divine, a "spirit person," to use historian
Marcus Borg's term. Jesus himself felt he was close to the divine. He prayed
frequently, sometimes all night, and he called God "father." His insights into
human nature and his solutions to the problems it poses for human flourishing
probably came from the divine source. If so, Jesus may be for us a window onto
the divine. Jesus spoke of love, generosity, and forgiveness. In doing so, he
spoke of the nature of God.

Christian atonement theology has claimed that Jesus died on the cross as a
sacrifice for sins. Jesus, it claims, died to satisfy God's need for justice—a
God, it also claims, who has no needs. An innocent man had to die to pay for
the sins of the guilty because God required that justice be done. Such is
atonement theology.

It does not take much insight into the nature of justice to grasp the injustice
of killing the innocent to forgive the guilty. The God who allegedly commanded
such a deed ruled by reciprocity and had a stingy soul. This is not Jesus' God.

Jesus says that God is generous, so generous it angers those whose ethics rest
on reciprocity. God is not a God of reciprocity, of contracts and covenants.
Nor, according to Jesus, does God demand sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins.
The Gospels never show Jesus sacrificing at the Temple. They introduce him as a
disciple of John the Baptist, who does not sacrifice at the Temple either.
Instead, John baptizes for the forgiveness of sins. Jesus, too, forgives sins
without requiring sacrifice—or even baptism. Jesus did not think God requires
sacrifices in order to forgive sins.

Indeed, Jesus says God gives us what we need when we ask for it. In one of his
stories, he tells of an evil judge whom a widow importunes so strenuously he
decides her case in her favor (Luke 18:1 – 5). The story is about an evil
judge, not a good one, and yet when asked, he gives what is wanted. How much
more then, would Jesus' God, a generous, fatherly God, give what we ask,
including forgiveness?

In summary, the historical Jesus was an evolutionary psychologist who told us
how to flourish in a world where human beings evolved, yet where divinity
pervades human life. We flourish, he says, not by egocentricity, with its
greed, lust, nepotism, and self-seeking justice, but by love, with its
generosity and forgiveness. Since greed and generosity, egocentricity and love
arise from the four R's, we have the capacity to choose greed or generosity,
egocentricity or love. Jesus asks us to choose love, to act like God rather
than like evolved creatures caught in evolutionary overdrive. Jesus says not to
be so self-concerned, so harried, and so vigilant. The fifth R, he says, is
"Relax."

Notes

1. Patricia Williams, Doing without Adam and Eve: Sociobiology and Original Sin
(Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2001).

2. Patricia Williams, Where Christianity Went Wrong, When, and What You Can Do
About It (Philidelphia: Xlibris, 2001).

3. David M. Buss, Evolutionary Psychology: The New Science of the Mind (Boston:
Allyn and Bacon, 1999).

4. Richard D. Alexander, Darwinism and Human Affairs (Seattle: University of
Washington Press, 1979).

5. Matt Ridley, The Origins of Virtue: Human Instincts and the Evolution of
Cooperation (New York: Penguin Books, 1996).

6. Raymond Martin, The Elusive Messiah: A Philosophical Overview of the Quest
for the Historical Jesus (Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 1999).

7. John P. Meier, A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus. Vol. 1,
Roots of the Problem and the Person (New York: Doubleday, 1991).

8. Robert W. Funk, Roy W. Hoover, and the Jesus Seminar, The Five Gospels: The
Search for the Authentic Words of Jesus (San Francisco: Harper San Francisco,
1993).

9. Falvius Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews, III:3, in The Complete Works of
Josephus (Grand Rapids, Mich.: Kregel Publications, 1981).

---------------------------------

A Response to Patricia A. Williams' "The Fifth R: Jesus as Evolutionary
Psychologist"

Richard F. Carlson and Jason N. Hine

We wish to thank The Rev. Bill Maury-Holmes for his insightful suggestions in
the preparation of this manuscript.

Richard F. Carlson is Research Professor of Physics at the University of
Redlands. He is editor of the book, Science and Christianity: Four Views
(2000).

Jason N. Hine has worked in the area of science and Christian faith for a
number of years. Recently he co-led the seminar, "What Can We Teach Our
Children About Dinosaurs?"

Patricia A. Williams' essay centers on her assertion that the "historical
Jesus" (as defined by the work of the Jesus Seminar) exhibited personal
characteristics consistent with an understanding of human nature as described
by evolutionary psychology. This relatively new enterprise describes human
characteristics in terms of David Buss' four "R's": Resources, Reproduction,
Relatedness (kinship), and Reciprocity.1 After showing that each R generally
contains a spectrum of characteristics, Williams attempts to identify Jesus'
position along each spectrum by citing incidents and sayings from the Gospels.

We have a few quibbles that we will mention here but not pursue. Williams
states that she uses the results of the Jesus Seminar in her characterization
of Jesus.2 Yet over half of her Gospel references have been given gray or black
classifications by the Seminar (gray or black implying that the sayings in
question are most likely not Jesus' words). Two other quibbles relate to
Williams' statement that Jesus did not perceive his own death as a sacrifice
for sin and her comments on Christian atonement theories. Each of these is
worthy of a response, but we have chosen to concentrate on Williams' evaluation
of Jesus' character in terms of Buss' four R's.

We see Williams' essay as a useful, interesting, and fanciful way to view
Jesus. However, we wish that she had followed her own ideas just a bit further.
By successfully demonstrating how Jesus' character is consistent with
evolutionary psychology, Williams places him in a box of dimensions specified
by the four R's. We feel that Jesus' character surpasses the four R's in a
number of remarkable ways. While Williams briefly explores intimations
regarding the divinity of Jesus in the final section of her article, we find
her presentation to be inadequate.

Our goal is to highlight areas where we would like to have seen Williams take
her ideas further. We will refer to much of the same evidence as used by
Williams from the Gospels. In some cases, we provide additional evidence from
the Gospels, which for the most part falls under Jesus Seminar categories of
red or pink (most likely the sayings of Jesus) or occasionally gray (probably
not said by Jesus but close to his ideas).3 As does Williams, we will use black
references in a very limited way (black, in the opinion of the Jesus Seminar,
implies that Jesus did not say it, as it represents the perspective or content
of a later or different tradition).4 In doing so we hope as much as possible to
compare oranges to oranges (maybe we should say red grapefruit to red
grapefruit).

Our understanding is that, when presented with earthly problems, Jesus
succeeded in incorporating God's will in his response. Another way of putting
this is that Jesus' response was both horizontal (human to human) and vertical
(human to God). As indicated by Williams, Jesus' response to every situation
was based on "the unmatched quality of God's love, generosity, and
forgiveness." 5 The problem is we feel that Williams could have done more to
demonstrate this when considering his responses to people or situations.

In her discussion of Jesus and his attitudes to the issue of Reproduction (one
of the four R's), Williams cites the account of the adulterous woman.6 The
religious leaders brought the adulterous woman to Jesus thinking that there
were only two possible ways he might respond – either uphold the Law and
condemn the woman to death, or allow her to live and thereby break the Law.
However, Jesus' response did not come from among this set; rather his action
was profoundly perceptive, wise, and loving. Williams claims that Jesus'
intention was to provide protection for women by exposing the lust in the
woman's accusers. We agree that this is the main thrust of the narrative.
Clearly, Jesus cared for and forgave the adulterous woman, and one may infer
from this that Jesus cares for all women. However, more than this, Jesus'
response also demonstrated care for the woman's accusers—he did not seek to
humiliate them but rather his response served as an invitation to engage in
serious self-reflection, and thus the door was left open for any of the
accusers to come to Jesus later. Further, Jesus' action here would have likely
had a similar effect on each woman and man in the crowd. Even today, his
response invites personal reflection, illuminates our shared struggle with sin,
and demonstrates the love of God through what is termed "grace"—the free and
divine gift of mercy, acceptance, and favor. Hence, we feel that Jesus'
approach stretches the scope of what evolutionary psychology considers
possible.

The next R we examine is Relatedness or kinship. Williams, in asserting that
"Relatedness, in particular, was not high on Jesus' list of sacred subjects," 7
cites an "extremely well-attested incident (Mark 3:31 – 35)",8 a passage rated
as gray by the Jesus Seminar scholars. Here Williams sees Jesus as rejecting
his family. Referring to his family, she states, "Jesus not only refused to see
them but also disowned them." 9 Yes, it is possible to infer from this that
Jesus is rejecting his family here. However, our understanding, supported by
Williams herself several sentences later, is that Jesus was expanding on what
he considers his true family to be—" Whoever does the will of God is my brother
and sister and mother" (Mark 3:35—NRSV). Elsewhere in Mark 7:9 – 13 (black by
the Jesus Seminar) Jesus affirms the command to "honor your father and mother"
(Matt. 19:19—gray) by condemning the Pharisees' and scribes' use of the Corban
offering in order to relieve themselves of the obligation to support their
parents. Like Williams, in the Gospels we too see a consistent theme of Jesus'
concern for and acceptance of society's rejects, e.g. the blind beggar, the
Samaritan woman, the prostitute, tax collectors, in short—the "lepers" of that
society. We conclude that an expanded view of relatedness was very high on
Jesus' list of sacred subjects, again in line with but stretching the
conceptual boundaries of evolutionary psychology in a way that provides us a
glimpse of God's all-inclusive love.

We next turn to Williams' treatment of the story of the prodigal son (Luke
15:11 – 32—pink by the Jesus Seminar) and to other Gospel examples she cites in
her discussion of another R—Reciprocity.10 Here we affirm Williams' conclusion
that, in terms of relationships with others, Jesus rejected reciprocity and
instead constantly exhibited extreme generosity, forgiveness, friendship, and
love in his teaching and his relationships with a wide array of people.

In terms of the fourth R, Resources, we disagree with Williams'
characterization of Jesus as being "at ease" and "not worrying"11 about
resources. On the contrary, we see Jesus as one who was concerned about the
wise and generous use of resources (e.g. see Matt. 25:14 – 28—pink- and Mark
10:17 – 22—gray). We feel that Jesus' command to "not worry" (Luke 12:29—gray)
about resources is to be understood as an important step in seeking God's
kingdom (Luke 12:31—black), a proper prioritization of Relatedness vs.
Resources, not as Williams puts it, a general indifference toward resources on
the part of Jesus.

In closing, we feel that Patricia Williams is addressing a topic of crucial
importance: understanding the person of Jesus. This is crucial, because we feel
that our clearest understanding of God is through the person of Jesus. In
addition, we feel Williams is moving in a helpful direction as she relates the
insights of evolutionary psychology to the historical Jesus in a way we see as
light-hearted, yet full of opportunities for greater insight into the divine.
Jesus not only goes beyond the horizontal (human to human) categories of the
four R's, but he also exhibits a vertical (human to God) aspect of his
character that stretches the boundaries of evolutionary psychology toward the
positive extremes exhibited by God through Jesus. We hope that Williams and
others will continue to explore these new ideas further.

Notes

1. David M. Buss, Evolutionary Psychology: The New Science of the Mind (Boston:
Allyn and Bacon, 1999).

2. Williams' essay above, 136.

3. Robert S. Funk, Roy W. Hoover, and the Jesus Seminar, The Five Gospels, The
Search for the Authentic Words of Jesus (New York: Macmillan, 1993), 36.

4. Ibid.

5. Williams essay, 142.

6. Ibid., 138.

7. Ibid., 140.

8. Ibid.

9. Ibid.

10. Ibid.

11. Ibid., 139.

---------------

Was Jesus an Evolutionary Psychologist?

Joshua M. Moritz

Joshua M. Moritz is a Ph.D. student in Theology and Science at the Graduate
Theological Union, Berkeley, and Managing Editor of Dialog: A Journal of
Theology. His undergraduate and professional background is in evolutionary
biology and paleoanthropology.

In her article "The Fifth R: Jesus as Evolutionary Psychologist," Patricia
Williams casts Jesus in the role of a bio-psychological counselor and seer
whose understanding of human nature turns out to be precisely that of the
modern field of evolutionary psychology. There is no latent anachronism here,
but rather, Williams is pointing out that the Jesus of history understood what
makes human beings get up in the morning, what drives us, and what makes us
tick. According to Williams, evolutionary psychology posits four primary
factors that motivate and orient the vast majority--if not all--of human
behaviors: resources, reproduction, relatedness, and reciprocity. The
historical Jesus, as she understands him, addressed each of these areas of
human life, and in so doing revealed a remarkable intuition, which parallels
the findings of sociobiology and evolutionary psychology. Such intuition,
concludes Williams, was indeed a product of Jesus' connection with the Divine,
and through this connection, he revealed to his followers the egalitarian
nature of God. His teachings about this God may empower human beings in the
present to establish egalitarian communities and enable them to flourish.

In this article, I wish to briefly respond to Williams' essay and her use of
evolutionary psychology and sociobiology as they relate to theological
anthropology. To begin with, I want to express my appreciation for Williams'
work in this area. She has consistently pointed out the difficulties which
modern evolutionary biology poses for many classical Western Christian
doctrines--such as atonement theology's reliance on "the Fall without the
Fall," 1 the doctrine of original sin based on the combination of Lamarckian
inheritance and a historical fall, and the problem of evil.2 These problem
areas, which Williams develops should be preeminent as constructive theology
continues to strive to make itself intelligible in a world dominated by
scientific self-understanding.

I also am grateful for Williams' attempts to integrate constructively the work
of sociobiology and evolutionary psychology into theological anthropology, and
her subsequent reformulation of various ancient Christian doctrines in light of
these disciplines, which pronounce much on human nature. Her theological
engagement with these bio-psychological fields is refreshing because there has
been a tendency in the humanities to make light of the findings of evolutionary
psychology and sociobiology, and to construct their ideas into caricatures and
straw men that are then easily vanquished.3 This happens even though many
scholars in the Philosophy of Biology maintain that sociobiology and
evolutionary psychology are legitimate extensions of the Neo-Darwinian
theoretical framework.4

That being said, I would like to raise several questions and concerns with
Williams' essay and her related work. While I agree with Williams in her
acceptance of the basic guiding principles of evolutionary psychology--that it
is very likely that certain heritable and adaptive human behaviors have been
honed by natural selection, and that there are specific cognitive mechanisms
resulting from evolution by natural selection which underlie such human
behaviors--I must question Williams' uncritical acceptance of the opinions that
are championed by these disciplines.

Williams treats evolutionary psychology and sociobiology as though they 'have
arrived' despite the large number of sympathetic, yet valid critiques of these
fields.5 Among other things sociobiology and its descendent evolutionary
psychology have been criticized on account of their genic selectionism, genetic
reductionism, determinism, and atomism,6 their assumption of massive modularity
in the brain, their hyper-adaptationism7 and their confusion regarding moral
categories.8 I have not found any citation of such criticisms in Williams work
on this subject. She only goes so far as to mention that there is controversy
surrounding sociobiology "because it applies to us," and "because some
sociobiologists have been inept with metaphors, sowing considerable
confusion."9 There is no discussion of the more fundamental criticisms of the
methodological and biological assumptions of evolutionary psychology and
sociobiology's practitioners.

Evolutionary psychology and its predecessor sociobiology claim that humans have
a generic nature and that this nature is rooted in our biology--particularly in
our genes. Since our genes, as they have evolved to adapt to a specific
environment, are the foundation and unconscious directors of our behavior, such
behaviors should be seen in light of the ultimate evolutionary purpose and goal
of our genes--namely "to get as many copies of one's genes into the next
generation as possible." 10 Contained in this ambiguous behavioral inheritance
bequeathed to us by our genes are predispositions in the vast majority of
humans towards murder, infanticide, child abuse,11 divorce, infidelity,12
pornography,13 xenophobia,14 treating women as commodities,15 rape,16 and even
genocide.17 To ensure that each gender gets their maximal fitness reward
calculated in genes that make it to the succeeding generation, men are by
nature sexually promiscuous and competitive, and women are by nature "coy" and
parentally nurturing.18 When our "selfish genes" are in the driver's seat, such
is to be expected, and while exceptions may exist, they are just
that--exceptions.

Cue Jesus. Into such a world of ethically sordid genetic pre-dispositions
embodied in immoral animals enters the historical Jesus who, in effect, tells
humans to live contrary to their genetically inherited nature. Jesus calls us
to "deny ourselves" and in so doing deny to our genes the fitness rewards which
they so fervently long for. For the sake of the Kingdom of God, we must be
willing to minimize our inclusive fitness and forsake those who share the
greatest percentage of our own genes. In fact, our genes are not to be seen as
more important than the genes of a total stranger--even those of an unrelated
Samaritan or Gentile. We are to spend our precious resources on those who offer
us no fitness benefits whatsoever: widows past reproductive age, orphans who
are not our kin, the poor who cannot benefit us materially, the sick--who may
even harm our own health and fitness potential, and prisoners--who cannot be
trusted to reciprocate. Men are called to resist the urge to "diversify their
genetic portfolio" and women are called to trust in God for their material
resources rather than in their husbands or mates.19 Humans are, in fact, asked
to adopt an extremely unstable evolutionary strategy by throwing out
reciprocity all together--" give to everyone who asks of you, and whoever takes
away what is yours, do not demand it back
 and lend, expecting nothing in
return." 20 The road of the cross which the life of Jesus paves for those who
would follow, is a sure evolutionary dead-end--the ultimate self-extinction
event.

Williams says that such behavior and the wisdom of Jesus "fits evolutionary
psychology perfectly." 21 but what does she mean by this? If she means that
Jesus understands human nature as it is perceived at the tail end of our
evolution and that he calls us to resist the very same dark tendencies
bequeathed to us by evolution, then she is right. Christian morality demands a
"revolution or a reversal of those priorities" which are given to us by
nature.22 Where does such moral courage come from if it is not within human
nature? Is it pure grace from the realm of the Divine that actually alters our
evolved nature? Or, is it an effort of the will which is transformed once one
is encountered by the life and example of Jesus? Either answer poses a dilemma
for evolutionary psychology because both behavioral scenarios are outside of
its explanatory purview. If we are altered by super-nature, then the categories
of nature are no longer adequate. Alternatively, if human nature has enough
behavioral wiggle room so that humans may act in ways which are not genetically
predisposed, and even in ways directly contrary to our genetic predispositions,
then such evolutionary psychological talk of genetic predispositions loses its
scientific scope and robustness. Evolutionary psychology seeks to explain
altruistic behavior in terms of inclusive fitness in the context of
Evolutionarily Stable Strategies, but such explanations lose their relevance
when the object of investigation thrusts aside the "things of this world" to
pursue an eschatologically stable strategy instead.

Deeper than this dilemma, though, is evolutionary psychology's foundational
assumption of the "selfish genes" view of evolved biological reality. This
"gene's-eye view" of evolution, which Williams presupposes,23 is far from being
a safe assumption. In fact, this is precisely the area where many biologists
from various sub-disciplines find the most intractable problems relating to the
future direction and success of evolutionary research.24 There is a growing
consensus that there is a variety of levels of selection in evolution.25 The
notion that "naked genes" are the target or primary level of selection, while
at first broadly accepted, has since then been "severely criticized, and even
its original supporters have now moderated their claims." 26 Such genic
selectionism, which is fundamental to the explanatory framework that
under-girds evolutionary psychology and its theory of inclusive fitness, is
also called into question by genetic pleiotropy27 and "the interaction of genes
controlling polygenic components of the phenotype."28 Furthermore,
investigations into the roles played by symbiosis,29 self-organization,30
neutral evolution,31 historical and developmental constraints,32 epigenetics,33
and generic principles in evolution34 have demonstrated that other forces are
at work both in the generation of evolutionary novelty, and the way in which
biological information is inherited. Natural selection and the genocentrism it
entails is no longer the sole fiddler bowing the tune of evolutionary change,
but now appears to be joined by a symphony of other evolutionary mechanisms
each playing at different tempos and in different keys. Conclusion

These developments, when taken together, pose a serious obstacle to the future
advance of any general theory of evolutionary psychology. While an evolutionary
psychology is certainly still possible it will have to be a much mediated
evolutionary psychology which can no longer speak of a generic human nature as
such, but rather, must aim to describe only elements of human nature that have
a definite genetic corollary. Occasions of altruism in nature will no longer
create a research problem for this epistemically humbled and less imperialistic
evolutionary psychology, and the moral "performance gap"35 between what we are
and what we ought to be will lose much of its mysterious quality when
considered within a thoroughly supplemented and expanded Neo-Darwinism. Was the
Historical Jesus an evolutionary psychologist? He certainly knew enough about
human nature to know that selfish motives--if not always selfish genes--orient
much of our behavior. Jesus was also familiar, however, with the nature of the
Divine, and he knew enough about God's nature to recognize that the One in
whose image humans have been made is not far from us when we walk by faith.

Notes

1. A phrase coined by Robert John Russell. For Russell's discussion of the
problem of "Fall without the Fall" see Robert J. Russell, "Theology and
Science: Current Issues and Future Directions," 2000, Part II, Section E,
Redemption, Evolution and Cosmology,
http://www.counterbalance.net/rjr/erede-body.html. See also Robert J. Russell,
"Is Evil Evolving?" Dialog: A Journal of Theology 42:3 (Fall 2003): 311. For
Williams' discussion see Patricia Williams, Doing without Adam and Eve:
Sociobiology and Original Sin (Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2001); and Patricia
Williams, "Sociobiology and Original Sin" Zygon 35:4 (Dec 2000).

2. Patricia Williams, "Evolution Sociobiology and the Atonement," Zygon 33:4
(1998); Patricia Williams, "The Problem of Evil: A Solution from Science,"
Zygon 36:3 (2001).

3. Such critiques of sociobiology and evolutionary psychology where the actual
views of these disciplines are exaggerated or misrepresented are, Richard C.
Lewontin, Steven P. R. Rose, and Leon J. Kamin, Not in Our Genes: Biology,
Ideology, and Human Nature (New York: Pantheon Books, 1984); and Hilary Rose
and Steven P. R. Rose, Alas Poor Darwin: Arguments Against Evolutionary
Psychology (New York: Harmony Books, 2000). For a critical review of the latter
which points out several misreadings of evolutionary psychology see Daniel
Jones, "Alas Poor Higgs," British Medical Journal, 322 (24 March, 2001), 740ff.
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/322/7288/740#13672 .

4. See, for example, Michael Ruse, "I see sociobiology, the study of animal
social behavior from an evolutionary perspective, as a natural and an unforced
growth and development from orthodox and established neo-Darwinian evolutionary
biology. This being so I suggest that because neo-Darwinian biology is a
genuine and fruitful branch of science, the respect that it deserves should
automatically be transferred to sociobiology." Quoted in Peter Saunders,
"Sociobiology: A House Built on Sand" in Evolutionary Processes and Metaphors,
Mae-Wan Ho and Sidney W. Fox eds. (New York: Wiley, 1988) 290.

5. See Kim Sterelny and Paul E. Griffiths, Chapter 13 in Sex and Death: An
Introduction to Philosophy of Biology (Chicago: University of Chicago Press,
1999); Philip Kitcher, Vaulting Ambition: Sociobiology and the Quest for Human
Nature (Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1985); The Evolution of Minds:
Psychological and Philosophical Perspective, Paul Davies & Harmon Holcomb, III,
eds. (Norwell, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001); Jaak Panksepp and Jules
B. Panksepp, "The Seven Sins of Evolutionary Psychology," Evolution and
Cognition, 6:2, 108 ; Elisabeth A. Lloyd, "Evolutionary Psychology: The Burdens
of Proof", Biology and Philosophy 14 (1999): 211 – 233; Paul E. Griffiths,
'Evolutionary Psychology' in The Philosophy of Science: An Encyclopedia,
Sahotra Sarkar and Jessica Pfeifer eds. (New York: Routledge, 2005). For a
criticism that aims at some of evolutionary psychology and sociobiology's more
foundational assumptions see Peter Saunders, "Sociobiology: A House Built on
Sand."

6. See David Depew and Bruce Weber, Darwinism Evolving: Systems Dynamics and
the Genealogy of Natural Selection (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1995) 374 – 378.

7. Stephen J. Gould, "More Things in Heaven and Earth" in Alas Poor Darwin.

8. David Sloan Wilson, Eric Dietrich, and Anne B. Clark, "On the Inappropriate
Use of the Naturalistic Fallacy in Evolutionary Psychology," Biology and
Philosophy 18 (2003): 669 – 682.

9. Williams, Doing Without Adam and Eve, 124.

10. Williams, this issue, 134.

11. Martin Daly and Margo Wilson, Homicide (New York: Aldine, 1988).

12. Helen Fisher, The Anatomy of Love: The Natural History of Monogamy,
Adultery, and Divorce (New York: Norton, 1992).

13. "Evolution has built into every red-blooded male a desire to find
'Pornotopia'--the fantasy land where 'sex is sheer lust and physical
gratification, devoid of more tender feelings and encumbering relationships, in
which women are always aroused, or at least easily arousable, and ultimately
are always willing' (Symons, p. 171). The entire cosmetics, fashion, and
pornography industries are attempts to create Pornotopia here on Earth". Frank
Miele, "The (Im)moral Animal: A Quick & Dirty Guide to Evolutionary Psychology
& the Nature of Human Nature," Skeptic 4:1 (1996): 42 – 49. See also David
Buss, The Evolution of Desire (New York: Basic Books, 1994), 49 – 60. and
Donald Symons, The Evolution of Human Sexuality (Oxford: Oxford University
Press, 1979), 187 – 200.

14. Edward O. Wilson, Consilience: The Unity of Knowledge (New York: Knopf,
1998), 253 – 54.

15. Daly and Wilson, Homicide 188 – 189; Edward O. Wilson, On Human Nature
(Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1978), 126.

16. Randy Thornhill and Craig Palmer, The Natural History of Rape: Biological
Bases of Sexual Coercion (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2000).

17. John Alcock, The Triumph of Sociobiology (New York: Oxford University
Press, 2001), 144 – 146.

18. Martin Daly and Margo Wilson, Sex, Evolution and Behavior (Boston: Willard
Grant, 1983), 78 – 79.; Robert L. Trivers, Social Evolution (Menlo Park, CA:
Benjamin/Cummings, 1985), 207; Carl-Adam Wachtmeister and Magnus Enquist, "The
Evolution of the Coy Female – Trading Time for Information," Ethology 105:11
(November 1999): 983 – 992.

19. Frank Miele, "The (Im)moral Animal," 43; See Jesus' response to "Is it
lawful to divorce for any reason?" Matt 19:3 – 12, and see Mark 10:2 – 12 and
John 4.

20. Luke 6:30 – 35.

21. See Williams, this issue, 138.

22. John Hare, "Is There an Evolutionary Foundation for Human Morality?" in
Evolution and Ethics: Human Morality in Biological and Religious Perspective
(Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2004), 190.

23. Williams maintains "that the most accurate way to view evolution is from
the point of view of the gene" (this issue, 134). She thus appears to adhere to
the genic selectionism of G. C. Williams, W. D. Hamilton, and Richard Dawkins.

24. See Gertrudis Van de Vijver, Linda Van Speybroeck, and Dani De Waele,
"Epigenetics: A Challenge for Genetics, Evolution, and Development?" Annals of
the New York Academy of Sciences 981 (2002): 1 – 6.

25. Stephen Jay Gould and Elisabeth A. Lloyd, "Individuality and Adaptation
Across Levels of Selection: How Shall We Name and Generalize the Unit of
Darwinism?" Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 96:21 (October
1999):11904 – 11909.

26. Ernst Mayr, "The Objects of Selection," Proceedings of the National Academy
of Sciences USA 94:6 (March 1997): 2091 – 2094.

27. This is where multiple, often seemingly unrelated, phenotypic effects are
caused by a single altered gene or pair of altered genes. See Jonathan Hodgkin,
"Seven Types of Pleiotropy" International Journal of Developmental Biology 42
(1998): 501 – 505.

28. Ernst Mayr, "The Objects of Selection," 2092.

29. Lynn Margulis, "Symbiogenesis and Symbioticism," in Symbiosis as a Source
of Evolutionary Innovation: Speciation and Morphogenesis, Lynn Margulis and
René Fester eds (Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 1991).

30. Stuart A. Kauffman, "Self-Organization, Selective Adaptation and its
Limits: A New Pattern of Inference in Evolution and Development," in Evolution
at the Crossroads: The New Biology and the New Philosophy of Science, David J.
Depew and Bruce H. Weber eds. (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1985), 184 – 185; and
David Depew and Bruce Weber, Darwinism Evolving: Systems Dynamics and the
Genealogy of Natural Selection (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1995), 446.

31. Motoo Kimura, "Recent Development of the Neutral theory Viewed from the
Wrightian Tradition of Theoretical Population Genetics," Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences USA 88:14 (July 1991): 5969 – 5973 ; Motoo Kimura,
"Evolutionary Rate at the Molecular Level," Nature 17:217 (129) (Feb 1968): 624
– 626; Motoo Kimura, "The Rate of Molecular Evolution Considered From the
Standpoint of Population Genetics," Proceedings of the National Academy of
Sciences USA 63:4 (August 1969): 1181 – 1188.

32. For the historical constraints see Stephen J. Gould and Richard C.
Lewontin, "The Spandrels of San Marco and the Panglossian Paradigm: A Critique
of the Adaptationist Programme," Proceedings of the Royal Society of London ,
Series B, 205:1161 (1979): 581 – 598. For a discussion of Developmental Systems
Theory see Susan Oyama, Paul E. Griffiths, and Russell D. Gray, Cycles of
Contingency: Developmental Systems and Evolution, (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press,
2001).

33. See Van de Vijver, Van Speybroeck, and De Waele "Epigenetics: A Challenge
for Genetics, Evolution, and Development?" For a critique of the selfish genes
understanding of evolution from an epigenetic standpoint see especially Richard
von Sternberg, "On the Roles of Repetitive DNA Elements in the Context of a
Unified Genomic Epigenetic System," Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences
981 (2002): 154 – 188. See Eva Jablonka and Marion J. Lamb, Epigenetic
Inheritance and Evolution: The Lamarckian Dimension (Oxford: Oxford University
Press, 1995).

34. See Ricard Solé and Brian Goodwin, Signs of Life: How Complexity Pervades
Biology. (New York: Basic Books, 2000); and Simon Conway Morris, Life's
Solution: Inevitable Humans in a Lonely Universe (New York: Cambridge
University Press, 2003).

35. For a discussion of the gap between what we actually do and what morality
demands of us see John Hare (cited above).

--------------------

Jesus and Evolutionary Psychology, Two Agendas

Howard J. van Till

Howard J. Van Till is Emeritus Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Calvin
College, Michigan, USA. His works include Portraits of Creation: Biblical and
Scientific Perspectives on the World's Formation (1990) and The Fourth Day:
What the Bible and the Heavens are Telling us about Creation (1986).

Patricia A. Williams posits the provocative thesis that the historical Jesus'
knowledge of human nature--as he experienced it and engaged it 2000 years
ago--closely matches the understanding of human nature now offered by
evolutionary psychology. This thesis does not entail any frivolous conjectures
that Jesus was supernaturally informed about biological evolution or about a
scientific psychology based on evolutionary considerations. Rather, the thesis
posits that the historical Jesus, a typical Palestinian Jew in his knowledge of
the world and unaware of anything resembling modern science, nonetheless "had
remarkable insights into human nature as evolutionary psychology discloses it."

As I see it, this is a reasonable and modest thesis that can be tested by a
comparison of what we know (or at least have good reason to believe) about
Jesus' perceptions of human nature and what modern evolutionary psychology
offers us regarding its scientific understanding of human nature. Williams
summarizes the four central concepts of evolutionary psychology, as derived
from sociobiology, in her list of "the four R's of human nature and much of the
rest of nature as well: resources, reproduction, relatedness, and reciprocity."

Before offering any thoughts regarding a comparison of Jesus' knowledge of
human nature and "the four R's of human nature" that Williams draws from
evolutionary psychology, I must express a bit of puzzlement concerning the
grounds for the similarity thesis that Williams posits. Suppose that Williams
is correct (and I am content to let evolutionary psychologists judge whether or
not that is the case) to say that evolutionary psychology's assessment of the
four major foci of human behavior can be captured in this list of four R's.
Suppose that Williams is also correct (and I am content to let scholars of the
historical Jesus judge whether or not that is the case) to characterize Jesus'
knowledge of human nature as focused on those same four behavioral concerns.
Would that provide a sufficient basis for concluding that Williams is warranted
in positing that Jesus' knowledge of human nature closely matches the
understanding of human nature offered by evolutionary psychology? That is,
would Williams be warranted in concluding that Jesus is relevant today partly
"because he is an astonishingly perceptive evolutionary psychologist?" I do not
see how the case can be settled on the similarities so far granted.

Williams may well be correct in drawing parallels in what the historical Jesus
saw 2000 years ago and what modern evolutionary psychology now sees as the
principal concerns of human nature. However, as I understand it, the primary
concern of evolutionary psychology is not merely to list those basic concerns,
but rather to posit explanations for those behavioral foci as products of the
entire evolutionary process. However, if the positing of evolution-based
explanations constitutes the core of the modern science of evolutionary
psychology, then the appropriateness of drawing close parallels between Jesus
and evolutionary psychology must, it seems to me, be called into question. The
historical Jesus offered no explanations of the sort that would interest
evolutionary psychology. Jesus, on the contrary, expressed numerous moral and
ethical judgments on the manner in which humans ought to act in response to
those basic drives for resources, reproduction, relatedness, and reciprocity.

To summarize what we have observed so far: even if it is the case that Jesus
and evolutionary psychology agree on their identification of the primary
concerns that characterize human nature, there is a vast difference in what
they offer in response. Evolutionary psychology offers scientific explanations
for the origin and presence of the four R's as products of our evolutionary
history. Given what cognitive psychology perceives to be core human concerns,
evolutionary considerations suggest ways to understand how humans came to be
this way. Jesus, on the other hand, offered moral or ethical principles that
would encourage humans to choose behavior (whether consistent with evolutionary
influences or not) that is "good" by the standards of divine intention for our
living as God-conscious creatures. In other words, while it may well be argued,
as Williams does, that Jesus and evolutionary psychology proceed because of
similar views of human nature, they have radically differing agendas driving
their interests in reflecting on the primary foci of human behavioral concerns.

Evolutionary psychology's concern for explaining the historical roots of the
four R's cannot easily be equated with Jesus' concern to provide moral or
ethical guidance in choosing ways to act on those four drives. Evolutionary
psychology offers a theory about human behavior and its roots in the practical
need for species survival. Jesus posited no such theory, but instead
exemplified sound moral and ethical value judgments on behavioral choices,
judgments rooted in his extraordinary awareness of the divine intention for
human life.

Perhaps I am being too critical. Perhaps Williams never intended to make the
strong equation that I have just criticized. Perhaps I need to take more
seriously Williams' expressed concern to demonstrate that, despite her
contention that Jesus "did not perceive his own death as a sacrifice for sin,"
and despite the fact that this would seem to "undermine doctrines previously
considered central to Christianity" and thereby "appear to make Jesus
irrelevant," Jesus is nonetheless just as relevant today as ever. Why? Because
his understanding of human nature equipped him to offer relevant answers to
Aristotle's ethical question, "How can human beings flourish?" True,
evolutionary psychology focuses on technical aspects of how human behavior
affects human survival and reproduction, while Jesus focused on matters of
acting in accord with the divine will for human moral and ethical behavior, but
both express a concern for identifying the sort of human behavior that improves
the probability for the flourishing of the species. Perhaps I should be content
with Williams' case with the continuing relevance of what Jesus said and did.
In fact, I think Williams' case for the high degree of relevance that the words
and deeds of Jesus still have was eloquently made.

Am I ready, then, to set my misgivings aside and accept Williams' references to
Jesus as "an astonishingly perceptive evolutionary psychologist?" I must admit
that I continue to have reservations about statements worded in this way. One
way to express my hesitancy is to note that although Williams appears to
justify this language by noting that Jesus and evolutionary psychology share a
common agenda in dealing with the question, "How can humans flourish?" I think
we need to explore whether or not the term "flourish" is being used in the same
way for both.

From the standpoint of evolutionary biology, what does it mean to flourish ?
Stated as bluntly and succinctly as possible, for a species (or some higher
order of categorization) to flourish, means to be reproductively successful
over an extended time as a member of an ecosystem in some reasonably stable
environment. It is about numbers, about numerical success, about survival.
Maintain a stable or growing population, or your category of organisms goes
extinct. Flourish, or vanish. Life is tough. Adapt or die; a purely pragmatic
reality.

From the standpoint of what Jesus said and did, however, what does it mean to
flourish ? I would suggest that the species-survival criteria supplied by
evolutionary psychology might be seen as necessary, but by no means sufficient
from Jesus' standpoint. To flourish as a God-conscious creature would, I
believe, sometimes require choosing behavior that conforms to the divine will
in spite of the fact that it would fail to contribute to reproductive success.
By the moral and ethical standards exemplified by the life and death of Jesus
(whether or not these accomplished anything toward atonement for sin),
flourishing as a human species is not simply a matter of numbers. On the
contrary, Jesus sometimes exemplified behavioral choices that were radically
contrarian in nature. In the extreme, Jesus paid the ultimate price of life
itself by choosing right behavior over the biological goal of flourishing. I
would not go so far as to say that Jesus advocated a generalized disregard for
flourishing as a reproductively successful species, but it seems evident that
Jesus did advocate the recognition of situations in which reproductive success
was to be given secondary, not primary, status.

Williams rightly recognizes this in noting that each of human nature's four R's
can be pursued with such excessive vigor as to become a vice. Excessive pursuit
of resources becomes greed or gluttony. Obsession with reproductive activity
becomes lust or abuse of power. Unqualified valuation of relatedness becomes
destructive exclusivism. Compassionless application of reciprocity becomes an
excuse for vengeance. Jesus spoke and acted in a way that demonstrated such
excesses to fall outside the divine will for human behavior. Hence, to engage
in a bit of Williams-style commentary, Jesus "knew when to set evolutionary
psychology aside and to make behavioral choices on the basis of divine calling
rather than on the probabilities for reproductive success."

I was especially struck (positively) by Williams' comments on the dangers of
compassionless reciprocity in which she called attention to the remarkable and
ironic contrast between the example set by Jesus and the distorted portrait of
God that has become the display piece of substitutionary atonement theology.
Williams says it with great eloquence. "Jesus spoke of love, generosity, and
forgiveness. In doing so, he spoke of the nature of God. Christian atonement
theology," alternatively, "has claimed that
 an innocent man had to die to pay
for the sins of the guilty because God required that justice be done
. It does
not take much insight into the nature of justice to grasp the injustice of
killing the innocent to forgive the guilty. The God who allegedly commanded
such a deed ruled by reciprocity and had a stingy soul. This is not Jesus'
God."

Would that more contemporary Christians could see what Williams here points
out. Seeing this demands no knowledge of evolutionary psychology, however. A
sense of justice that transcends the scientific agenda will do.

What about the fifth R? Recall Jesus' advice for life, "Be not anxious
." Live
by love. Do not be driven by the egocentrism inherited from our evolutionary
past. Do not allow yourself to distort any one of the four R's by becoming
obsessed with its unqualified satisfaction. In a word, Relax.

Great idea. That is the next item on my "to do" list.

--------------------------

Counter-response on "The Fifth R: Jesus as Evolutionary Psychologist"

Patricia A. Williams

Patricia A. Williams is a philosopher of biology and philosophical theologian
who writes full-time on Christianity and science. Her recent books include,
Doing Without Adam and Eve: Sociobiology and Original Sin (2001) and Where
Christianity Went Wrong, When, and What you Can do about it (2001). Her mailing
address is PO Box 69, Covesville, VA 22931. Her e-mail address is
theologyauthor at aol.com; website www.theologyauthor.com.

I am grateful to the editors for the privilege of receiving responses to my
article and the opportunity to reply. I also appreciate the sincerity and
thoughtfulness characterizing the responses. I might add that evolutionary
biology is conceptually difficult; it is a field in which experts make
mistakes, and much sociobiology is conceptually confused, partly because it
seems a favorite playground for atheists who are ideologically driven. Finally,
historical Jesus scholarship is broad, deep, and varied, so one needs to dine,
not snack. Keeping it all straight is difficult. Even I make mistakes.

Therefore, it may be best to begin by explaining the project I pursue in my
books and essays. I want to integrate science, theology, and spirituality. As I
come from a Christian background, that generally means I engage some aspect of
Christianity. My first step is to take the best, most central, most accepted
scientific findings to establish a firm foundation in the sciences. My second
is to pursue the best biblical scholarship, especially scholarship on the
historical Jesus, Christianity's central figure and a prophet in two other
world religions. Thus, two critical, rational enterprises stand at the center
of my work. Third, I seek the best in Christian spirituality, which I presently
think Quakerism represents. (Quaker theology also smoothes some theological and
scriptural issues.) Then I try to integrate them.

Some examples from my treatment of science may help. When I discuss cosmology,
I avoid string theory or many-worlds theory. Although they may be cutting-edge
research subjects, they currently lack mathematical proof and empirical
evidence. In biology, I center on the theory of evolution by natural selection
since it is the foundational theory of biology. This is not to deny that other
mechanisms for evolution exist. Indeed, I consider genetic drift significant in
speciation.1 In sociobiology, I concentrate on kin selection (inclusive
fitness), because it lies at the heart of sociobiology and is well established
theoretically and empirically. For evolutionary psychology, I focus on
dispositions applicable to as many organisms as possible, (the exception in the
4Rs being reciprocity, which although not uniquely human, is central to human
relationships as it is not to those of other animals). I might add, against
Carlson and Hine's assumption that I borrowed the terminology from David Buss,
the expression "the four R's" and the arguments for the four R's being
fundamental originate with me.

To understand where the responders have erred, it will help to return to the
basics. Van Till discusses evolution in terms of species survival. Evolution
does not promote species survival. On the contrary, natural selection is a
negative mechanism, promoting no one's survival, only eliminating the unfit.
Evolution depends on three things: that more organisms come to be than survive
to reproduce, some characteristics vary, and some of these are inherited.
Populations change over time (evolve) because organisms that die before they
reproduce fail to pass their characteristics on to future generations, and
these characteristics vanish from the population. Meanwhile, mutations may add
novel characteristics. Species can be selected (go extinct--contrary to
Moritz's assumption, I am not a single-level selectionist and certainly not a
genetic-level one), but natural selection cannot promote their survival.
Indeed, most have gone extinct, so it fails to promote their survival. On the
whole, however, the theory of evolution applies to individuals and their kin
and is always local, that is, characteristics fit in one environment will not
be so in others. This means evolution cannot promote the flourishing of
species. I doubt Jesus promotes it, either. I doubt he thinks that broadly.
Rather, his widest interest seems individual and community flourishing in a
non-egalitarian but God-suffused world.

Van Till assumes sociobiology has a single focus, the explanation of certain
behaviors by means of the theory of evolution. In fact, it has three foci. The
first, begun by W. D. Hamilton in 1964,2 was to explain biologically altruistic
behavior by means of inclusive fitness theory. The second, prominently promoted
by Robert Trivers from 1971 and 1972,3 was to predict animal social behavior
(including human social behavior) from inclusive fitness theory. The third has
been to gather empirical evidence to support or refute the predictions. The
third and last has occurred almost since Hamilton published, was famously
summarized by E. O. Wilson in 1975,4 and has become a project of evolutionary
psychology in recent years. In calling Jesus an evolutionary psychologist, I
credit him with understanding by (divine?) intuition and astute observation
that human nature is disposed (not determined!) to follow the 4Rs that lie at
the foundations of sociobiology and evolutionary psychology. Given Jesus' lack
of scientific knowledge, he could not have been doing anything more.

Since Moritz fails to find citations in my theological writing to critics of
sociobiology, and no explicit criticisms of it, he concludes I accept it
uncritically. My theological works do ignore its critics, for I think engaging
in intra-scientific squabbles inappropriate in a theological context. However,
in a lead review in the Quarterly Review of Biology,5 I criticize selfish gene
theory and the idea that sociobiological explanations of behavior provide total
explanations.

However, in my theological works, I do something different. I interpret
sociobiology in a non-reductionist, non-determinist, non-egocentric way,
usually without explicitly condemning its reductionist, determinist, and
selfishness-promoting proponents who, I think, misconstrue the evidence. I am
especially disturbed that Moritz cloaks me in the determinist mantle when I say
in summary of human nature's four R's in my article,

Thus, evolution has given us enormous potential for both good and evil, and it
also has provided a wide range of choices, from egocentricity that seeks the
destruction of others to generosity and love that seek to further their
welfare. We are remarkably flexible and free. That is the primary reason we
find it so difficult to answer Aristotle's question about how to flourish. If
we have such a range of desires and can engage in such an enormous number of
activities, then which are those that best promote our flourishing?

I emphasize choice and freedom. There is no taint of determinism here. Indeed,
I find more tendencies toward the assumption of genetic determinism in the
sociobiology's critics, I explicitly argue against determinism for an entire
section in my Doing without Adam and Eve.6

As for "natural selection and the genocentrism it entails [being] no longer the
sole fiddler" (Moritz), it never was. Charles Darwin, lord of the theory of
evolution, invokes the inheritance of acquired characteristics to aid it, then
sexual selection.7 Ernst Mayr, king of the new synthesis, recognizes sexual
selection, the Baldwin effect, symbiosis, and genetic drift.8 E. O. Wilson,
prince of sociobiology, includes morphological and physiological differences
and environmental contingencies.9 A review of the most thoroughly studied genus
in the world, Drosophila, adds premating isolation.10 Moreover, we now possess
empirical proof that environments restructure organisms' brains, including
adult human brains.11 Many things shape organisms and their behaviors.

Many people shape historical Jesus scholarship. It is not limited to the Jesus
Seminar. Although I respect the Jesus Seminar and find its two volumes12 handy
for checking out black, gray, pink, and red sayings and deeds, I nowhere rely
on it to tell me which sayings go back to Jesus as Carlson and Hine assert. In
contrast, I say I will "restrict the passages of scripture I discuss to those
the scholars think go back to the historical Jesus." I have written a book,
mentioned in the article, on the historical Jesus13 with a bibliography listing
42 references to works of 35 Jesus scholars and historians of the two first
centuries. I compiled that list five years ago, and I have continued reading.

In an essay such as "The Fifth R," to summarize such extensive scholarship is
impossible. However, to offer one example here, most other scholars think the
passage Carlson and Hine mention that the Jesus Seminar colors gray, Mark 3:31
– 35, goes back to Jesus. If Carlson and Hine researched further in the
Seminar's The Five Gospels, they would find even the Seminar colors the
parallels in Matthew 12:46 – 50 and Thomas 99 pink. The event occurs in two
sources, Mark and Thomas, so it meets the scholarly criterion of multiple
attestation. Matthew and Luke (8:19 – 21) retain it from Mark, their source for
it, so it must have been well known. Moreover, it also fits the strong
scholarly criterion that events and sayings embarrassing to the Jesus movement
are likely to go back to Jesus. For a son not to honor his mother breaks one of
the Ten Commandments, and in the Jesus movement after Jesus' death, some of his
family members became his followers. Their change of heart must have aroused
criticism of their earlier unbelief. Why include such an embarrassing incident
in your narrative unless it is so widely known that excluding it appears
fraudulent?

Carlson and Hine also comment that I am dealing with the person of Jesus and
putting "him in a box of dimensions specified by the four R's." This is false.
I am interested in his insights into human nature, God, and ethics. I think he
was a person of integrity and, so, his insights probably reflect his character,
but his character is not the subject of "The Fifth R" and certainly not limited
to the four R's--no one's is. The four R's at most represent some basic human
dispositions. Carlson and Hine also misquote me. I never use the expression,
"the unmatched quality of God's love, generosity, and forgiveness." Thus, I am
unlikely to do "more to demonstrate this."

Moritz seems to think the fifth R is "Rebel"14 and jettison the four R's. On
the contrary, it is "Relax." In a wonderfully coined phrase, he calls the
rebellious approach "an eschatologically stable strategy " to distinguish it
from evolutionarily stable strategies. In contrast, I think "Relax" is probably
stabilizing for the species. Other species follow evolutionary strategies and
go extinct, so evolutionary strategies remain stable only temporarily. Based on
the history of other species, if we follow evolutionary strategies, we will go
extinct, too. Perhaps there is a better way. Jesus may offer it. Nonetheless,
"Relax" does not entail rejecting the four R's. As I note in the article, Jesus
is not an ascetic, but is accused of drunkenness and gluttony, enjoys the
company of women and children, and calls a leading disciple who is married.
Pursuing the four R's inordinately through greed, lust, nepotism, and justice
for oneself to the exclusion of others destabilizes community and, so,
diminishes human wellbeing. Such pursuits lead to wars that, in the
contemporary world, may not only result in the extinction of our species but
also the annihilation of life on Earth. Inordinate rebellion against the four
R's also promises extinction. Best follow Van Till and make "Relax" the next
item on the "'to do' list."

Finally, Van Till comments that knowledge of evolutionary psychology is not
required to understand that God's killing the innocent in order to forgive the
guilty is unjust. I agree. I think evolutionary psychology sheds light here not
by explaining justice, but by explaining the attractiveness to many Christians
of a God who insists divine justice be satisfied. Theirs is an anthropomorphic
God, built from our basic, evolved dispositions. Relaxed as he was about the
four R's, Jesus could reflect, instead, a God of generosity and mercy.

Notes

1. Patricia A. Williams, Doing without Adam and Eve: Sociobiology and Original
Sin (Minneapolis: Fortress, 2001), 108 – 115.

2. W. D. Hamilton, "The Genetical Evolution of Social Behaviour I and II,"
Journal of Theoretical Biology 7 (1964): 1 – 51.

3. Robert L. Trivers, "The Evolution of Reciprocal Altruism," The Quarterly
Review of Biology 46 (1971): 35 – 57 and "Parent-Offspring Conflict," American
Zoology 14 (1972): 249 – 264.

4. E. O. Wilson, Sociobiology: The New Synthesis (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard
University Press, 1975).

5. Patricia A. Williams, "Of Replicators and Selectors," The Quarterly Review
of Biology 77 (2002): 302 – 306.

6. Williams, Doing without Adam and Eve, 143 – 148.

7. Charles Darwin, On the Origin of Species (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard
University Press, [1859] 1964) and The Descent of Man, and Selection in
Relation to Sex (Princeton: Princeton University Press, [1871] 1981).

8. Ernst Mayr, What Evolution Is (New York: Basic Books, 2001).

9. Wilson, Sociobiology.

10. Jeffrey R. Powell, Progress and Prospects in Evolutionary Biology: The
Drosophila Model (New York: Oxford University Press, 1997).

11. Jeffrey M. Schwartz and Sharon Begley, The Mind and the Brain:
Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force (New York: Regan Books, 2002).

12. Robert W. Funk, Roy W. Hoover, and the Jesus Seminar, The Five Gospels: The
Search for the Authentic Words of Jesus (San Francisco: Harper San Francisco,
1993) and Robert W. Funk and the Jesus Seminar, The Acts of Jesus: The Search
for the Authentic Deeds of Jesus (San Francisco: Polebridge Press, 1998).

13. Patricia A. Williams, Where Christianity Went Wrong, When, and What You Can
Do About It (Philadelphia: Xlibris, 2001).

14. As, famously, in Richard Dawkins, The Selfish Gene (New York: Oxford
University Press, 1976), 215, "We, alone on earth, can rebel against the
tyranny of the selfish replicators [genes]".