[Paleopsych] Re: Runners World: Should You Run Naked?

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Sat Sep 3 01:34:14 UTC 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 11:52:51 +0200
From: Amara Graps <amara at amara.com>
To: wta-talk at transhumanism.org
Subject: [wta-talk] Runners World: Should You Run Naked?

Beyond sports  -
There are many many reason for why I think peeling off the
clothes is a good idea. Here I repost something I sent
to the extropians three years ago.

Amara

Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 03:42:48 +0100
To: extropians at extropy.org
From: Amara Graps <amara at amara.com>
Subject: Beingness
Sender: owner-extropians at extropy.org

Spike wrote:

> Regarding public nudity, there is a prominent nude beach near where
> I grew up, just north of Kennedy Space Center, Playalinda beach.
[...]
> on the most perfect beach weather days. But the last thing one
> will see after starting that hike and the first thing one will see at
> the other end are countless naked people. That would be fine,
> except for the fact that the kinds of people who generally go nude
> on the beach are exactly those who you would really prefer not to
> see naked. Ever. Not even in ones worst nightmare.

Now now Spike. Naturist beaches and resorts are freedom, in an
ultimate sense. What better way to see the marvelous variety of
shapes and sizes in which the the human body manifests itself?
Social roles, economic classes, sex roles reduced or removed,
and we can be who we are, simply.

"If it were perfectly natural to go nude, we'd all be born that way."

General Naturist/Nudist Information
http://www.mbay.net/~cgd/naturism/nlink01.htm

Being and Nakedness
http://www.naturistplace.com/

REC.NUDE FAQ: Naturist Site Reports:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/nude-faq/beaches/

The following pieces are from: Humorous Introduction to Naturism
http://www.netnude.com/main/intro.html#intro

{begin quote}
Nobody knows for certain exactly how many naturists there are in the
world, but the numbers of those enjoying a clothes optional
lifestyle appear to be increasing.

Unfortunately, naturism still carries a stigma, born largely of
ignorance of the truth. To some naturists are well meaning but
slightly dotty individuals, who meander naked through wooded glades,
pausing in catalogue poses behind strategically placed leaves. To
others, they are immoral hedonists, congregating in mixed groups to
enjoy pleasures of the flesh in orgy situations not seen since
Caesar hung up his laurels. Or they are perverts trying to corrupt
the 'normal'way of life. As with the majority of prejudices based on
lies, misunderstandings and half-truths, the reality of life for the
average naturist is very different indeed.

I COULD NEVER BE A NUDIST ANYWAY - JUST LOOK AT MY BODY!

That's the whole point though. Naturism isn't about looking at
bodies - naturists are not exhibitionists. It's just about enjoying
the freedom that a clothes optional atmosphere brings. Naturism is
about accepting the human body for what it is - nothing to be
ashamed of. So the men don't need to hit the gym for six months,
buffing their muscles to within an inch of their lives in order to
gain entry. And the women don't have to look like Baywatch babes.
The media is largely responsible for promoting this idea of body
perfection, but the truth is that the vast majority of people do not
now, nor are they likely to ever resemble this false ideal.

So for naturists there is no such thing as too fat, too thin, too
short, too tall, too hairy. Nobody's going to comment on the size or
shape of your breasts or critically evaluate your genitalia. And if
you have any surgical scars or other distinguishing marks you
needn't worry - ignore them just like everyone else will. For most
people, their initial discomfort disappears very quickly, once they
realize they are not being judged on their appearance.

BUT WHAT DO PEOPLE GET OUT OF IT? IF IT'S NOT ABOUT SEX, JUST WHAT
IS IT ABOUT?

It's about relaxation, freedom from restriction - and to a very
large degree, it's about honesty.

Naturists are judged on their personalities alone. They take away
the trappings that most of us have around us every day. They have
less to 'hide behind'. This is very healthy, because it means that
friendships are built on truth - as people get used to being open
with each other, there is less temptation to embellish![...]

Being nude can also be incredibly relaxing. The feeling of air, sun
and water on the skin is a terrific stress reliever.  [...]

IT CAN'T BE HEALTHY FOR CHILDREN THOUGH, SURELY.

On the contrary, children who grow up in a naturist environment
usually have far fewer hang-ups than other kids. Once again, they
are not being subjected to premature sexual situations - they grow
up around other children and adults, understanding that the body is
not something to be hidden and ashamed of. They know anatomy of the
human body, and it is less of a 'taboo' to be explored at the
earliest opportunity. There are fewer incidences of teenage
pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and criminal behaviour
amongst nudist children than amongst other children.

WHERE WOULD I PUT MY SUNGLASSES!?

As for the sunglasses, well friends have found that nipple rings are
the perfect holders for their Ray Bans. If you don't fancy body
piercing, though, a small bag slung around your neck or carried with
you is the perfect repository for your small change and other
necessities.
{end quote}