[Paleopsych] joel--time, distinction-making, and aggregation

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Sun Sep 4 03:04:35 UTC 2005

In a message dated 9/3/2005 1:04:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
isaacsonj at hotmail.com writes:

Yes.   In my process the opposites are termed generically  "quids" and
"quods".
In one-dimension, quids are broken lines and quods  are continuous lines;
very much like generalized yin and yang.    And the whole process may be
viewed as a generalized yin/yang  system.

One subtle thing to be kept in mind.  Quid/quod (or  separation/aggregation)
are derived (or emergent) attributes from more  primitive activities that
involve local
distinction-making.    So, ultimately (recursive) distinction-making is the
engine
of all  there is.
hb: this is hearty meat for thought.  What is reponsible for the
distinction-making process?  What is its origin?  Is time the  maker of distinctions and
of aggregations?  Is time some sort of algorithm,  a basic rule, for the
extraction of new distinctions and aggregations from the  data of the previous
recursion, extracting implications from the previous  instant of Planck time?

Or, to put it differently, does time follow rules?  Are those rules  more
complex than just "take the next step"?  How does time extract the  implicit and
make it explicit? How does it translate what was into what  is?  Then how does
it do it all over again?  Is time a process, a  mechanism?  Is it something
we can't comprehend with our current tool kit  of metaphors?

This is really a quesion the paper Pavel Kurakin and I have written moves
toward answering in a very primitive and speculative way:
_http://arxiv.org/ftp/quant-ph/papers/0504/0504088.pdf_
(http://arxiv.org/ftp/quant-ph/papers/0504/0504088.pdf)  .

Howard

----------
Howard Bloom
Author of The Lucifer Principle: A  Scientific Expedition Into the Forces of
History and Global Brain: The Evolution  of Mass Mind From The Big Bang to the
21st Century
Recent Visiting  Scholar-Graduate Psychology Department, New York University;
Core Faculty  Member, The Graduate  Institute
www.howardbloom.net
www.bigbangtango.net
Founder:  International Paleopsychology Project; founding board member: Epic
of Evolution  Society; founding board member, The Darwin Project; founder: The
Big Bang Tango  Media Lab; member: New York Academy of Sciences, American
Association for the  Advancement of Science, American Psychological Society,
Academy of Political  Science, Human Behavior and Evolution Society, International
Society for Human  Ethology; advisory board member: Institute for
Accelerating Change ; executive  editor -- New Paradigm book series.
For information on The International  Paleopsychology Project, see:
www.paleopsych.org
for two chapters from
The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition Into the Forces of History,
see www.howardbloom.net/lucifer
For information on Global Brain: The  Evolution of Mass Mind from the Big
Bang to the 21st Century, see  www.howardbloom.net