[Paleopsych] Mancur Olson: How Bright are the Northern Lights? Some Questions about Sweden

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Tue Sep 27 00:06:53 UTC 2005

Here's a long and good one. Enough for today.

Mancur Olson: How Bright are the Northern Lights? Some Questions about Sweden
Institute of Economic Research, Lund University, Sweden
http://www.mobergpublications.se/other/olson.htm
[Click this on to get the original PDF, the graphs, and better tables.]

Contents

Introduction

Preface

Chapter 1: Why Isn't Sweden Worse Off? 1
Is the Standard Answer to the First Question Wrong? 3
Are Time Lags the Answer? 6
Is Swedish Culture the Explanation? 7
Government Size and Economic Growth in the West 7
The Route to an Answer to the Second Question 14

Chapter 2: International Trade, Competitive Markets, and Economic Growth 16
Some Surprisingly Strong Statistical Relationships 18
The Historical Relationship Is Also Strong 23
Wider Evidence on Free Trade, Competitive Markets, and Growth 25
Why Does Protectionism Hurt Growth More than Welfare Does? 27

Chapter 3: Explicit, Implicit, and Efficient Redistribution 28
"Implicit" and "Explicit" Redistributions 28
The Criteria for Redistributions Generate the Social Costs 29
Slower Innovation as a Deadweight Loss 31
Conditions on Explicit Redistributions to the Poor 33
The Theory of Efficient Redistribution 33
We are not Done Yet 34

Chapter 4: "Rational Ignorance" and the Bias of Collective Action 36
The Difficulties of Collective Action 38
The Inegalitarian Bias of Collective Action 40

Chapter 5: Why Implicit and Inefficient Redistribution is Commonplace 42
Will Coalitions Seek Unconditional Cash Transfers? 44
Rational Ignorance Makes Implicit Redistributions Possible 45
The Implicit Redistributions that Rational Ignorance Permits are Almost Never
46

Efficient Redistributions
Aggregate Evidence on the Inefficiency of Implicit Redistributions 49
The Salience of the Evidence in Chapter 2 50
Sudden Increases in the Size of the Market and the Polity that Determines 52

Trade Policy

Chapter 6: The Lower Costs and Ultimate Limits of Explicit Redistribution 54

What Limits the Amount of Implicit Redistribution in Sweden? 56

Encompassing Organizations 58
Factors Lowering the Costs of Explicit Redistributions
59 A Recapitulation
62 Too Much of A Good Thing is Bad: Nonlinearities and Lags
65 How Bright Are the Northern Lights? 68

lntroduction

The Swedish welfare state has for several decades been discussed as the "middle
way" between capitalism and communism. The recent collapse of the communist
economies of Eastern Europe has brought new fuel to the debate on the future of
the Swedish Model.

Mancur Olson, professor of economics at the University of Maryland, is one of
the pioneers in the development of public choice theory.

The argument presented in this volume has been developed from his 1986 Crafoord
lecture in Lund. Starting from concepts proposed in earlier works - "The Logic
of Collective Action" (1965) and "The Rise and Decline of Nations" (1982)1 -
Mancur Olson develops a framework for analysing the distinctive set of policies
and institutions that together form the Swedish welfare state.

He shows that different types of redistributions may have quite different
effects on economic performance. Less transparent "implicit" redistributions,
aiming to protect certain industries, seem to have more damaging effects on
performance than "explicit" cash transfers to low income groups. The social
cost of income redistributions depend on the conditions attached to them - i.e.
on their effects on incentives.

Mancur Olson's analysis provides a number of concepts, distinctions and
questions that together may help us better understand the long term dynamics of
the Swedish Model.

Allan T Malm
Director
Institute of Economic Research

1 Also published in Swedish, "Nationers uppgång och fall", Ratio 1978.

Preface

This little book is not intended to argue either for or against the "Swedish
model" of public policies and institutions. The purpose is rather to look at
the somewhat distinctive set of public policies and institutions in Sweden from
a new angle. When one looks at the Swedish situation from this unusual
perspective, some new questions and options for public policy emerge. I asked
many experts in Sweden and elsewhere to criticize an earlier draft of this
brief book, and found that there was about as much sympathy for my argument on
the one side of the political spectrum as on the other.

I had to ask for so much help because I am not any kind of expert on Sweden.
The argument in this essay emerged as much out of observation of other
countries and from theoretical reflection as it did from what little knowledge
I have of the Swedish scene. In part because of the fear that my limited
knowledge would lead me into error, I have also given myself a lot of time for
second thoughts. As it happened, the argument here began when Professor Ingemar
Ståhl kindly asked me to present the Holger Crafoord lecture at the University
of Lund in the Fall of 1986. Had those whose help I have sought not been so
generous with their time I would not have felt able to provide a written
version of that talk that Professors Allan Malm and Ingemar Ståhl asked of me.

Thus any value this book has is due in large part to the help of my critics.
Thick as my file of criticisms is, it is possible that some comment has been
misplaced. But, at a minimum, I am greatly indebted for helpful criticisms to
each of the following: Peter Bohm, Karl-Olof Faxén, Robert J. Flanagan, Anna
Hedborg, Jörgen Holmquist, Sten Johansson, Jan Karlsson, Peter J. Katzenstein,
Walter Korpi, Jan-Erik Lane, Assar Lindbeck, Carl Johan Ljungberg, Per-Martin
Meyerson, R. M. Mitra, Victor A. Pestoff, Olof Ruin, Göran Therborn, Claudio
Vedovato, and Carl-Johan Westholm. Chris Bartlett, Brendan Kennelly, Adele
Krokes, Richard Lewis, Venka Macintyre, and Young Park provided me
indispensable help in doing the research for this manuscript or in getting it
prepared for publication. All of the shortcomings of this manuscript are
nonetheless entirely my responsibility.

Postscript of 1 November, 1990:

This essay was entirely written before - and much of it long before - the
economic emergency of October and the Swedish government's crisis package of
reductions in public expenditure announced on October 26. The argument of this
book (particularly in the closing chapter) leads one to expect crises such as
the one that has just occurred - and to fear that there may be others as well.
Nonetheless, I see no purpose in adding a discussion of the short-term problem
arising from fears of a devaluation of the Swedish crown to the book. This book
is about the more fundamental long-run characteristics of the Swedish economy,
not about the emergencies or the successes of the season. In a long term
perspective, the crisis of October, 1990, does not, taken by itself, appear to
be so momentous: the possibility of a single devaluation would not raise fears
about the long-run future of the Swedish economy if there were not uneasiness
about a series of devaluations in the past and fears that a further devaluation
would not be the last. Thus I believe that the focus should be on the
fundamental structural issues with which this book deals - when they are
understood, the way out of the short run difficulties will also be reasonably
clear.

Chapter 1: Why Isn't Sweden Worse Off?

For more than half a century, Sweden has been known the whole world over for a
distinctive set of policies and institutions - for the "middle way" between
communism and capitalism or the "Swedish model".1 This Swedish system includes
an unusually generous welfare state, but the country also has some other
distinctive arrangements that, I shall argue, are no less significant.

Are the distinctive Swedish arrangements really northern lights that nations
can use to get a rough sense of direction when they choose economic and social
policies? We cannot say until we know how well the distinctive Swedish
arrangements are working in comparison with the different arrangements in other
countries. Thus to answer our question - "How bright are the northern lights?"
- we must first ask, "How is Sweden doing?"

Sweden has, however, several distinctive institutions and policies, each of
which has a different impact on the country's performance. Some may be lifting
Sweden up at the same time that others are dragging it down, so that the
overall performance may not reveal the actual value of any one of these
distinctive arrangements. The inadequacy of an undifferentiated or monocausal
approach becomes clear simply from breaking the familiar question about how
Sweden is doing into two separate questions:

1) Why isn't the Swedish economy performing better than it is?
2) Why isn't the Swedish economy performing worse than it is?

Although these questions are obviously parallel, their answers are not. There
is a standard, straightforward answer to the first question, but no familiar or
obvious answer to the second.

1 Erik Lundberg, "The Rise and Fall of the Swedish Model," Journal of Economic
Literature 23, 1985.

2

The answer to the first question is so familiar that I shall merely evoke it
here: income transfers and the public sector have often been larger in Sweden
than in any other noncommunist country, with the government spending and
transferring at times more than three fifths of the nation's Gross Domestic
Product; tax rates have accordingly been exceptionally high, with large
proportions of the population having paid half, or even two-thirds or
four-fifths of marginal income in taxes. On top of this, an extraordinarily
powerful union, the LO, has often reduced wage differentials, thereby
attenuating incentives and discouraging investment in skills. Robert Flanagan,
a leading labor economist contributing to the Brookings Institution study of
the Swedish economy, said, "When an outside economist first views the Swedish
labor market, with its compressed wage differentials, comparatively high
marginal tax rates, and numerous government-financed alternatives to work, the
first reaction tends to be amazement that the labor market works at all."2 Thus
the standard answer to my first question is not only well known, but emphatic
as well.

This makes the second question - why Sweden is not worse off - all the more
puzzling. Amazed as he was, Robert Flanagan concluded that Sweden "works." In
an important sense, this is surely true. According to the best available
measures, Sweden is one of the richer countries in the world, with a real per
capita income that is as high as (or a trifle higher) than that of most nations
in Western Europe. Why does it not have a lower per-capita income than
countries with smaller public sectors, lower tax rates, and no comprehensive
union engaged in economy-wide wage leveling?

Why, for example, is per capita income in Sweden about double the level in
Ireland? In the countries to which both Irish and Swedes have migrated, their
incomes are similar, but there is no question that the Swedish economy is
vastly more productive than the Irish.

Similarly, why are per capita incomes now higher in Sweden than in Great
Britain? They were for a long time much higher in Britain; in 1870 Sweden was a
relatively poor country, but Britain then apparently had the highest per capita
income in the world.3 Yet the situation is now reversed, even though, for a
very long time, the public sector has been larger, marginal tax rates higher,
and union wage-leveling incomparably stronger, in Sweden than in Great Britain.

There is another country that used to have a per capita income substantially in
excess of Sweden's but is now way behind. That country is Argentina. Now that
Argentina lags so far behind the nations of Western Europe, it is no longer
usually compared with them, even though its population is almost entirely of
European descent. Yet, in the early decades of our century, Argentina
apparently had one of the ten highest per-capita incomes in the entire world,
and for a considerable period surely had higher standards of living than
Sweden. In the period during which Argentina has fallen behind,

2 "Efficiency and Equality in Swedish Labor Markets," in Barry Bosworth and
Alice Rivlin, eds., The Swedish Economy (Washington, DC: The Brookings
Institution, 1987), p. 172.

3 With the exception of resource rich and recently settled Australia.

3

its redistributions of income to low-income people and its welfare state have
been incomparably smaller than Sweden's; it is even questionable whether
Argentina (protectionist and interventionist as its government is) should be
described as having a welfare state at all.

Many people around the world would say that the Swedish economy has not only
outperformed the three economies that have just been discussed, but also been
one of the most successful economies anywhere. That is a much stronger
conclusion than is required for my argument. To be on the safe side, I take the
lowest possible estimate of Sweden's economic achievements. Even then, we must
ask why the Swedish economy works or survives at all, why Sweden incontestably
remains one of the developed economies, and why it has unquestionably
outperformed the three aforementioned comparison economies with less
egalitarian policies.

Is the Standard Answer to the First Question Wrong?

Some people may suppose that the answer to the second question (why isn't
Sweden worse off?) is simply that the standard answer to the first question
(why isn't Sweden doing better?) is wrong: the fact that Sweden's per capita
income is better than that of some countries with a smaller public sector,
lower marginal tax rates, and less egalitarian unionism merely shows that
individuals are not very sensitive to incentives and that the distortions in
resource allocations that agitate critics of the Swedish welfare state are not,
in fact, a significant problem.

I will argue in this essay that the familiar answer to the first question is to
a large degree correct, but that limiting and offsetting factors have not been
understood. These countervailing considerations not only help to explain why
Sweden has a high level of per capita income, but also suggest that a society,
with the right policies, can afford a better provision for its least fortunate
citizens than those who understand the importance of incentives have realized.

The countervailing considerations that are the main concern of this essay can
only be understood if one first appreciates the large element of truth in the
familiar argument that Sweden's economic growth is slowed by its high taxes and
subsidies and its often egalitarian wage policies. This familiar argument is
not merely ideological rhetoric; it is generally accepted by the leading
economists on the left and the right alike.

The professional consensus on this point is obscured in part because many
economists understandably point out that some welfare state expenditures can
increase a society's income. Subsidized education and training for low-income
people who (because of capital-rationing or other market failures) would not
obtain it by themselves can increase a nation's income. This point may be
especially pertinent in countries such as Japan and the United States, where
the welfare state is relatively smaller than in Sweden but where unusually
large proportions of the population nonetheless receive

4

subsidized higher education. But it does not appear, at least at first glance,
that any extra spending on the development of education and skills in Sweden is
the main explanation of Sweden's relatively larger welfare state or of its
economic achievements.

The professional consensus that very high levels of welfare state transfers
reduce a country's income is also obscured because many economists favor income
redistributions to the poor even though they believe such redistributions
reduce income. There is no inconsistency in this position. A transfer to
low-income people may increase total welfare or utility even though it reduces
the measured income of the society. This is because, as is now known, the
marginal utility of consumption systematically decreases with consumption4 and
people with higher incomes tend to get less utility or satisfaction from
marginal consumption than poorer people.5 Thus, if it is not pushed to the
point where the adverse effect on incentives makes the incomes of even the poor
lower than they would otherwise be, a redistribution of income can still
increase human welfare even if it reduces measured per capita income.

There is also a technical complexity involving "income effects" that leads most
observers to underestimate the loss of social efficiency arising from high
taxes. Consider a worker who is taxed to pay for transfers to those who cannot
work. The tax reduces the reward to the worker from an additional hour of work,
but it also lowers his disposable income. Just as the first or "substitution
effect" gives the worker a reason to work less, so the latter or income effect
implies that he can afford less leisure and this makes him work more. The
latter effect at least partially offsets the former effect, and this is one
reason why the number of hours individuals work does not usually change
dramatically with changes in tax rates.6

Unfortunately, high tax rates are harmful to economic efficiency even in those
cases where the income effect completely offsets the substitution effect so
that the hours worked are unchanged. This last point is perhaps
counterintuitive and even some skilled economists need to be reminded of it.
The reason why there is a loss of social efficiency from taxes even when they
do not change hours of work at all is, in essence, because the taxed
individual, though mindful that taxes mean he can afford less leisure, takes no

4 Martin J. Bailey, Mancur Olson, and Paul Wonnacott, "The Marginal Utility of
Income Does not Increase: Borrowing, Lending, and Friedman-Savage Gambles,"
American Economic Review, vol. 7 (3) (June 1980), pp. 372-79.

5 See my "Why Some Welfare-State Redistribution to the Poor Is a Great Idea,"
in Public Choice and Liberty, Essays in Honour of Gordon Tullock, ed. Charles
K. Rowley (Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1986).

6 The impact of a tax increase on hours work also depends on other things, such
as the uses to which the tax proceeds are put. If the tax receipts are mainly
given as transfers to the same people who pay them, or if they are used to make
leisure activities more attractive, this can lead to a far greater reduction in
work than otherwise. See, for example, Assar Lindbeck, 'Tax Effects vs. Budget
Effects on Labor Supply," Economic Inquiry vol. XX No.4, October 1982, pp.
473-89, James Gwartney and Richard Stroup, "Labor Supply and Tax Rates: A
Correction of the Record," American Economic Review, June 1983, 73, 446-51,
Cecil E. Bohanon and T. Norman Van Cott, "Labor Supply and Tax Rates:
'Comment"', and Firouz Gahvari, "Comment," in American Economic Review, Vol.
76, No. l, March 1986, pp. 277-283.

5

account of the gain to those who benefit from the extra taxes he would pay if
he worked more (as is shown in the footnote).7 Since the loss of efficiency
from higher taxes, even when large, is not directly observable from the total
number of hours of work done, it is often under-estimated.

In short, the second question of why Sweden is not doing worse than it is
cannot be dismissed simply by claiming that the standard answer to the first
question is wrong. The large Swedish welfare system may be morally appropriate
and on balance desirable, but that does not change the fact that this system,
together with wage-leveling, is making Sweden's measured economic performance
less good than it would otherwise be. If we leave aside some interesting
technical questions that are of no special pertinence here, this conclusion
does not require much more than the finding that individuals and firms respond
to changes in incentives in the ways that economic theory predicts.8 Sweden's
relatively high per capita income, and its far faster growth during the period
it has followed the "middle way" than less egalitarian countries like
Argentina, Britain, and Ireland, is an anomaly that cries out for explanation.

7 Suppose an individual, with preferences between money income and leisure
given by the indifference curves below, is confronted with a (proportional)
income tax such that his post-tax wage rate falls from W1 to W2, and that none
of the proceeds of the tax receipts are devoted to the consumption of the
individual who pays the taxes. In the case depicted the reduction in the
individual's post-tax income reduces the amount of leisure he chooses to
consume by just enough to offset the reduction in the amount of work he chooses
to do because the reward to him of an extra hour of work is decreased. But the
adverse effect on economic efficiency is still there. When we take into account
the value to others of the extra taxes this individual would pay if he worked
more, we see that the total social value of his work can be depicted as the
slope of line AB, parallel to Wl, so that, if the individual had an incentive
to take account of the value of his tax payments to others, he would now take
only Q1 rather than Q2 hours of leisure.

8 The important qualifications in the theory of the "second best," for example,
will be ignored here.

6

Are Time Lags the Answer?

A comparison with the United States in recent years suggests a possible
explanation. Although the American standard of consumption has remained high
since 1980, it is by no means an adequate basis for judging the country's
economic performance in this period. As is well known, the United States since
the beginning of the Reagan administration has run large deficits in its
government budget and in the current account of its balance of payments. When
the debt to overseas borrowers is repaid, consumption will have to be lower
than it would otherwise be. Therefore, the level of consumption leads to an
overstatement of the current performance of the American economy.

Surely the Swedes have not yet received the full bill for their extravagances
either. As Swedish critics of the country's welfare state have pointed out,
habits of behavior do not change overnight, so that when incentives change
their full impacts come with lags, which are a pervasive feature of economic
life. Thus there can be no doubt that lags are relevant in answering our second
question. A subsidiary theme of this book will be that the shape or functional
form of the relationship between tax and subsidy levels and economic
performance makes the "lag" explanation more significant for Sweden than it
would otherwise be.

Yet, even if Sweden is overcome by an economic catastrophe before the ink is
dry on this little book, we should still be puzzled about why the lags are so
long. The impacts of changes in macroeconomic policies, in investment
incentives, in exchange rates, and in tariff levels normally show up within a
few quarters or a few years. Sweden has been famous for its "middle way" for
more than half a century. Most of the lags that are evident in economics are
not even a tenth as long as that. When we are comparing economic performance of
different countries, it is the relative size of the public sector that is most
relevant. If we take the period since 1951 (when national income statistics
first came to be generally available) as a whole, both government consumption
and total government outlays as a percentage of national income have been
larger on average in Sweden than in any other country in the Organization for
Economic Cooperation and Development.9 No doubt some of the effects of a
general change in the pattern will show up only after generations have passed,
but the main effects of most changes in economic policy show up within a few
years, so we still have a scientific puzzle.

9 Total government outlays are defined as government consumption + social
security transfers + subsidies + interest on public debt + gross capital
formation + purchases of land and intangibles. Over much of the 1951-87 period,
social security transfers have been less in Sweden than in several other
Western countries.

7

Is Swedish Culture the Explanation?

There is a tendency to "explain" each country's performance by referring to
allegedly unique traits of its people. Every culture and every people have some
obviously distinctive characteristics, so it is always easy to claim that these
characteristics account for a country's performance. But after sustained
examination these claims usually turn out to be pseudo-explanations. Although
references to national character are as common on one side of the political
spectrum as the other, my experience suggests that, where our second question
is concerned, this tendency is likely to take what might be called a
"conservative-chauvinistic" form. Sweden's economic performance is as good as
it is, some say, because the disincentives of the uniquely large welfare state
and the egalitarian LO are countervailed by Swedish or Nordic cultural
tendencies to work harder, to save more, and to be more enterprising than most
other peoples would be if confronted with similarly oppressive incentives.
Being of Nordic descent myself, I understand that this type of argument can
have an emotional appeal. But it cannot survive careful examination.

How can favorable cultural traits, which surely do not change quickly, also
explain the relatively low incomes in Sweden and in Scandinavia in the
mid-nineteenth century and for some time before that? Those who oppose a large
welfare state also need to explain how a superior national character could be
consistent with what they regard as uniquely bad national decisions on this
matter. And how can enduring national characteristics explain why so many
countries - such as Argentina, Britain, Germany, and Japan - had
extraordinarily good economic performance in some periods and extremely poor
economic performance in others? All that we know about relative economic
performance indicates that ad hoc cultural and racial explanations normally do
not prove useful in the long run. We can be confident that we have found valid
explanations only when we have parsimonious and general theories that explain
performance in a wide variety of settings.10

Government Size and Economic Growth in the West

The same puzzle of why, in spite of the distortion of incentives from high
taxes and welfare state subsidies, Sweden still has a high per-capita income is
evident, in a less extreme form, in most of the other countries with relatively
large welfare states. The data on the developed democracies in general show
that, in the years since World War

10 See Chapter 1, on "The Standards Satisfactory Answers Must Meet," in my Rise
and Decline of Nations (New Haven, Conn. and London: Yale University Press,
1982), or in the Swedish translation published by Ratio in 1984.

8

II, the countries with relatively large welfare states have tended to grow
about as rapidly as those with less egalitarian policies. To be sure, as later
parts of this book will demonstrate, different types of government expenditures
can have very different effects, so we cannot solve the puzzle simply by
looking at the relative sizes of government outlays and rates of economic
growth in different countries. In addition, definitive empirical findings about
the relation between the size of the public sector and the rate of economic
growth would require not only more data than now exist, but also a full scale
econometric study rather than the merely illustrative and descriptive display
of data that is offered here.

Still, it is instructive to examine the data displayed in Figure 1 and in Table
1. These data reveal that, when we take all the years since 1951 to 1987
together, there is at least no clear association between the percentage of a
nation's resources spent or transferred by government and its rate of economic
growth. Any association there may be is not strong enough be conspicuous. In
the 1950s, as Figure 2 and Table 2 reveal, there was, if anything, a faint
tendency for the countries with larger welfare states to grow faster. In this
decade, Sweden, though well above average in total government disbursements as
a percentage of GDP, was by no means the leader. The most notable country was
West Germany, which was then undergoing an economic miracle and had, at the
same time, one of the very highest levels of social security transfers and also
one of the highest percentages of total government disbursements. These facts
must surely alert us to the likelihood that something besides the disincentives
of the welfare state has a big impact on rates of economic growth. The
ideological arguments that focus exclusively on the size of welfare state
redistributions to the poor are, at best, incomplete.

The data also reveal that there is definitely no general or lasting tendency
for nations with larger public sectors to grow any faster than other countries.
Indeed, the one country that has all along devoted the smallest proportion of
its resources to government - Japan - grew almost as rapidly as West Germany
during the 1950s, and much more rapidly than any other developed country over
the postwar period as a whole. If we compare historical periods in which the
roles of government were quite different, we get the same mixed picture. In the
last half of the nineteenth century, almost all countries came closer to having
laissez-faire policies than at any time before or since. This was also a time
of unprecedented economic progress, so this period clearly supports the view
that laissez-faire improves economic performance. The period from 1945 to 1970
offers quite a contrast. During these years all of the developed democracies
greatly expanded their welfare states and the public sectors became far larger
than ever before. Yet this was also a time of extraordinary economic growth,
surpassing even the glorious last half of the nineteenth century. This period
is, accordingly, evidence supporting the view that big government favors
economic growth. But the pattern changed again in the 1970s and 80s: the
welfare state grew still larger and at the same time economic performance
turned sour.

Thus the historical record for the developed democracies as a whole, like the

9

comparison across the developed democracies since World War II, produces no
regular pattern: in some countries and in some periods a relatively large
public sector is associated with poor economic performance, but in other
countries and periods we observe exactly the opposite.

Figure 1

Unfortunately, the ideological and partisan debates have so obscured judgment
that some scholars have nonetheless been tempted to draw unjustified
conclusions from the experience of individual countries, or from data such as
that presented in Figures 1 or 2, or from one or the other of the historical
periods mentioned above. This type of mistake is made on both the left and the
right. Some scholars of the former persuasion conclude from data or information
such as I have set out that a government that aggressively intervenes in the
market is favorable to, or at least not harmful to, economic growth. Some
advocates on the right can find in the same sources allegedly clear evidence of
the pernicious effect of a large welfare state on economic growth. Statistical
results are in these situations sensitive to variations in specification and to
the inclusion or exclusion of particular countries. Japan is particularly
important; it is such an outlier that it can reverse the results in a
regression equation. Although the data on Japan clearly favor the rightist view
- that a smaller government yields faster growth - this one country's rapid
postwar growth obviously could be due to other reasons, so regressions that are
not statistically significant unless Japan is included are unreliable.

10

Table 1: Average Government Size and GDP Growth, 1951-87 (percent)

Annual GDP Growth
Government consumption
Social Security Transfers
Government Expenditure
Current Disbursement
Total outlays
(1960-87)

Australia 3.96a 14.2 6.6b 20.8 23.8b 29.8
Austria 3.91 15.2 15.3 30.5 34.5 44.0
Belgium 3.20d 14.5e 15.3e 29.7e 36.5e 42.2
Canada 4.32 17.1 8.4 25.5 31.1 37.1
Denmark 3.03 19.4 11.1 30.5 35.6 44.3
Finland 4.01 15.3 7.5 22.7 27.9 34.3
France 4.00 16.3 17.9 34.2 37.0 42.7
Ireland 2.92 15.3 9.2b 24.5 33.8b 41.8c
Italy 4.10f 13.4 12.7 26.1 33.0 39.8
Japan 6.69e 9.1f 6.4f 15.5f 18.4f 25.3g
Netherlands 3.44 15.5 18.6h 34.1 39.4 48.9
Norway 3.85f 16.4 11.0 27.5 35.5 42.5
Sweden 3.00 21.5 12.0 33.5 39.8 49.3
Switzerland 2.92 11.5 9.1 20.7 23.7 25.0
United Kingdom 2.40 18.8 8.8b 27.6 34.9b 41.0c
United States 3.24 18.0 7.5 25.5 28.7 32.0
West Germany 3.84 16.8 14.2 30.9 35.2 42.6

Note: Government consumption = government final consumption expenditure for
goods and services. Social security = social security benefits for sickness,
old age, family allowances, etc. + social assistance grants and unfunded
employee welfare benefits paid by general government. Government expenditure =
government consumption + social security transfers. Current disbursement =
government expenditure + interest on public debt + subsidies. Total outlays =
current disbursement + gross capital formation + purchases of land and
intangibles. All data calculated and rounded. For average annual GDP growth
rates, geometric averages are used.

a.1956-87. b.1951-86. c.1960-86.
d.1954-87. e.1953-87. f.1952-87.
g. Average of 1968-87
h. Average of 1951-59 and 1968-87

Sources.

1. OECD, OECD National Accounts Statistics, 1950-68.
2. OECD, Economic Outlook, Historical Statistics, 1989.
3. United Nations, Yearbook of National Accounts Statistics, 1957,1964

11

Figure 2

I do not, however, want to go so far as to conclude that there is no causal
relationship between the role of government and economic growth. My point is
rather that the foregoing data and historical facts do not, by themselves,
allow us to come to any definitive conclusion yet about the size or even the
direction of the influence of the

12

welfare state on economic growth. Any statistical analysis that considers only
the variables in Figures 1 and 2 and thus omits many other factors besides the
role of government that affect the rate of economic growth, can do little more
than raise questions. This problem of "omitted variables" and other
difficulties of "specification" indicate that the results of statistical tests
on only the foregoing data are likely to be spurious. To underline the point
that the variables that have been presented here are not sufficient to allow a
properly specified statistical test, I do not even report the results of the
regressions that I have run on the foregoing data - that might obscure the
mainly heuristic purpose of the foregoing tables.

Table 2: Average Government Size and GDP Growth, 1951-60 (percent)

Annual GDP Growth
Government consumption
Social Security Transfers
Government Expenditure
Current disbursement

Australia 3.85a 10.0 5.2 15.2 15.8
Austria 5.66 12.7 9.9 22.6 25.0
Belgium 2.99b 12.0c 9.7c 21.7c 25.4c
Canada 3.95 14.2 6.5 20.7 23.8
Denmark 3.28 12.6 6.9 19.5 21.4
Finland 4.94 12.0 5.5 17.4 21.2
France 4.77 14.1 12.7 26.8 30.4
Ireland 1.75 12.5 6.2 18.7 24.7
Italy 5.54d 11.9 9.3 21.2 24.4
Japan 8.23c 10.0d 3.6d 13.6d 14.7d
Netherlands 4.66 14.1 8.4 22.5 26.5
Norway 3.25d 13.1 6.6 19.7 25.3
Sweden 3.42 16.5 7.2 23.6 26.3
Switzerland 4.3 11.1 5.8 16.8 19.4
United Kingdom 2.78 17.4 5.6 23.1 29.5
United States 3.23 18.2 4.1 22.3 24.3
West Germany 8.47 3.7 12.2 25.9 28.4

Note: For definitions and sources, see Table 1.

a. 1956-60. b. 1954-60. c. 1953-60. d. 1952-60.

This said, we must also remember that, if causal relationships are
overwhelmingly

13

strong, there is usually little need to worry about omitted variables and other
misspecifications. If we test whether being in a plane crash reduces life
expectancy, we will probably get the qualitatively correct answer even if we
don't take into account whether the dead had been cigarette smokers or not.
Thus we can be pretty sure that the effect of the size of the welfare state on
economic growth, even though it is the crux of modern ideological debate, is
evidently not large enough to overwhelm other factors that affect economic
growth in the developed democracies.

When we go beyond the advanced democracies and include evidence from the
developing nations, we find that the data are poorer. They are also more
difficult to interpret, since the level of development of a country constrains
or influences the share of the government in GDP. It is nonetheless interesting
that the data on the developed and developing nations together also do not
reveal any clear tendency for the size or growth of government to be associated
with economic performance. Some studies, such as Daniel Landau's,11 find that a
relatively larger public sector makes for slower economic growth. Other
studies, such as those of Richard Rubinson12 and Rati Ram,13 find that a
relatively larger size of the government generates faster economic growth. When
different specifications lead to exactly opposing results, we may suspect that
there is really no compelling pattern in the data. That is also what we find
from a glance at the data I have displayed in Figure 3, which compare
government size and growth for 121 developing and developed non-communist
countries.

The data in the three Figures in this chapter, the conflicting conclusions of
the prior studies of government size and economic growth, and the broad
historical facts that have been set out here are nonetheless suggestive. Since
we know from the observation of the behavior of individuals that high levels of
welfare spending and taxation have adverse effects on incentives, why doesn't
the size of the welfare state show up in comparisons a cross countries and
historical periods? This question underlines the need for an answer to my
second question about why Sweden, in spite of the large distortions of
incentives due to the huge welfare state and to LO wage-leveling policies, is
not worse off; the puzzle about Sweden is also evident, in a less extreme form,
in the comparisons of different countries and historical periods. Similarly, we
know that all the Soviet-type economies - the ones where, in principle, the
state runs everything - have failed miserably. Though it is wildly wrong to
suppose that large welfare states are inherently semi-Soviet, the collapse of
the Soviet-type societies nonetheless does raise our second question in a more
casual and perhaps intuitive way. Why isn't the Sweden of the "middle way" -
the society with the relatively largest public sector in the noncommunist world
- also "mid-way" in per capita income between the Soviet-type

11 "Government Expenditure and Economic Growth: A Cross-country Study,"
Southern Economic Journal (1983), pp. 783-92.

12 "Dependency, Government Revenue, and Economic Growth, 1955-70," Studies in
Comparative Institutional Development, 12 (Summer 1977), pp. 3-28.

13 "Government Size and Economic Growth: A New Framework and Some Evidence from
Cross- Section and Time-Series Data," American Economic Review 76 (1986), pp.
191-203.

14

countries and the developed economies with the relatively smallest public
sectors?

Figure 3

I shall try in later chapters to provide a conceptual framework that helps
resolve these puzzles. The foregoing data and historical facts have helped us
see that we must search for some factors that both of the familiar ideologies
omit. They have also shown us that the effects of a larger welfare state on
economic growth, important as they must be, are by no means sufficient to
overwhelm other factors.

The Route to an Answer to the Second Question

The next task is to contrast the inconclusive aggregate data about the welfare
state and economic growth with some other salient facts about economic
performance, and especially about international trade in manufactures by small
countries such as Sweden. As we shall see, the other facts form a strong, clear
pattern. This striking pattern suggests that competitive markets open to
international competition are the main source of economic dynamism and that
protectionism and most other forms of government regulation in such markets
have monstrously harmful impacts on economic growth. The striking pattern we
shall find in the next chapter stands in sharp contrast to the aggregate facts
on the size of government expenditures and transfers and economic growth that
we have seen in this chapter, both for Sweden and for the rest of the world.

15

The contrast between these dramatic results and the ambiguous aggregate data on
the size of the welfare state and economic growth will, as we shall see, help
us discover some new ideas. With the aid of these ideas, we will be able to
find an answer to our second question, about why Sweden, given the undoubted
distortions in incentives from its uniquely large welfare state, is not
performing worse than it is.

Chapter 2: International Trade, Competitive Markets, and Economic Growth

Serendipitously, the unfolding of history in recent years has produced a
surprising number of unintended or "natural" experiments that have generated
the same kind of solid information about how the world works that we have been
accustomed to getting from controlled experiments in the physical sciences.
These inadvertent experiments have, for some reason, been brought to light only
recently. The truths they reveal will (in conjunction with well-established
results from more familiar sources) take us much of the way toward an answer to
the question of why Sweden is as well off as it is.

The natural experiments involve international trade in manufactures by smaller
countries and major alterations in the size of the countries or other
jurisdictions that determine trade policies. I shall consider the lucky natural
experiments carefully and then go on to discuss briefly how the findings from
these experiments fit in with the more familiar sources of insight. To
appreciate these experiments, we must first note that data on international
trade in manufactured goods can yield insights that do not emerge so clearly
from the study of trade in primary products and services.

Data on trade in manufactures are especially instructive because manufacturing
is usually less dependent on natural resource endowments, and therefore a bit
more sensitive to economic institutions and policies, than extractive industry
is. Saudi Arabia and Iran export a great deal of oil, but this does not tell us
very much about what policies or institutions these countries have nor offer a
sound basis for judging the efficiency of resource allocation in them; the oil
exports of these countries tell us more about their geology than about their
economic and political systems. In the extractive industries generally, and
even to a considerable extent in agriculture, the pattern of production and
international trade is quite sensitive to the natural resource or climatic
endowments of a country. The raw materials needed for manufactures can, by
contrast,

17

be imported. Naturally, this often entails extra costs, but since
transportation costs decrease as technology advances, the influence of
endowments of natural resources on manufacturing is becoming smaller over time.

Although the location of service industries is often even less restricted by
natural resources than manufacturing, the statistics and other information on
services are poorer for services than for manufacturing. The pattern of exports
of manufactures can accordingly often tell us more about what types of economic
arrangements or systems are effective for economic development and growth than
can other types of trade.

A thought-experiment will make it clear why data on the patterns of trade and
the levels of protectionism of smaller countries is especially illuminating.
Imagine a country so large that it was all the world except for Luxembourg.
Suppose that this colossal country bad prohibitive tariffs on trade with the
rest of the world, namely Luxembourg. Obviously, this hypothetical country
could not be affected that much by its tariffs against Luxembourg, because even
without any protectionism most of what it purchased would in any event have
been purchased internally. The protection, in other words, would have affected
only a relatively small number of markets to a minor degree and thus could not
have had any great consequence for our gigantic hypothetical country. I
therefore conclude that in looking at the effects of protection, it is
essential to consider the size of the jurisdiction that has the protection and
to note that the biggest economies, like the United States and Japan, are not
affected by protection nearly as much as smaller countries are.

This consideration also suggests that previous studies of protectionism have
given relatively too much attention to the height of tariffs and other forms of
protection and too little attention to their mileage or length - to the extent
to which they confine trade. In other words, too little attention has been
given to the size of the jurisdictions with protection; if there are many small
jurisdictions with protection, the total length and impact of protective
barriers will be very great, but if the only protective barriers are those that
surround a few huge countries or common markets, the impact of protection will
be limited.

A focus on manufacturing in smaller countries will not only generate some
special insights, but also tell us something about certain recent developments
in the theory of international trade. These recent developments appear to
qualify the presumption from economic theory in favor of free trade, and to
suggest that, when there is imperfect competition and decreasing costs, a
country can sometimes increase its welfare with tariff protection. It is in
manufacturing industries in smaller countries that decreasing costs and
imperfect competition will usually be most striking, so our results should also
help us test the practical applicability of recent developments in
international trade.

If one goes outside the economics profession, there is, of course, often no
presumption in favor of free trade at all. Many people suppose that successful
manufacturing usually requires protection. It is often argued, for example,
that the protection of infant industries will in due course give a country a
comparative advantage in manufacturing that it would not otherwise have had,
and that the country may profit

18

significantly from taking advantage of the new pattern of comparative advantage
that protection has given it. Certainly, comparative advantage is not something
that is given and static, but something that is made or achieved. One way to
develop a competitive manufacturing industry, it is often said, is to protect
this sector so that there will be learning-by-doing which will eventually
enable the industry to become competitive. The data presented in this book will
make it possible to obtain a powerful test of these familiar ideas.

Some Surprisingly Strong Statistical Relationships

In a previous paper, I was able to present calculations,1 which I shall re-use
here, of the percentages of the manufacturing output of various smaller
countries that are exported. In other words, for all those small and
medium-sized countries on which we found the needed data, I had the gross value
of each country's manufacturing exports divided by the gross value of its
manufacturing output. (I would have liked to divide the value added in
manufactured exports by the value added in manufacturing in a country, but we
did not find the data needed to do this.) So what is presented in Table 3 is
the gross value of manufacturing exports divided by the gross value of
manufacturing output. This provides, of course, the percentage of a country's
manufacturing that it succeeds in exporting.

To ensure that the water is not muddied by countries so large that most of
their trade would be internal trade even without any protection, I have
excluded Italy and all larger developed industrial countries, and above all
Japan and the United States. If countries are undeveloped and thus small in
industrial terms, they are included no matter how large their populations might
be. For most years, I do not have all of the needed data on the less developed
countries. Fortunately, Bela Balassa and his associates at the World Bank made
the needed estimates and calculations for various less developed countries for
1973. Thus Table 3 includes almost all small or medium-sized developed
democratic countries and those developing countries for which we have the
Balassa data for 1973. Table 4 contains the indexes of levels of tariffs on
manufactured goods in the developed democracies that I had previously published
in The Rise and Decline of Nations.

There is a striking pattern: if the countries have high levels of protection on
manufacturing, they export very little of their manufactures. Argentina, a
country that is extraordinarily protectionist (and whose economic performance
during the last half century, as we have noted, makes the growth of the Swedish
economy look awesomely good by comparison) exports only about 2.5 percent of
its manufactures. (I have rounded all numbers to the nearest 2.5 percent to
underline the shortcomings of the data

1 Done for me by Kim Chohan, Alfred Forline, Michael Kendix, and Young Park.

19

Table 3: Comparisons of Export Percentages for Small, Medium-sized and
Developing Countries, 1973

Manufactured exports/manufactured output
Exports of "true" manufacturesb/total exports
Exports of manufactures & processed primary productc/total exports

Argentina 2.5* 17 66
Australiaa 7.5* 11 57
Austria 32.5 53 97
Brazil 5.0* 16 54
Canada 20.0 36 72
Chile 2.5* 1 86
Colombia 7.5* 12 31
Denmark 42.5 42 90
Finland 27.5 30 97
Greece 12.5 22 71
India 7.5 44 62
Ireland 37.5 36 83
Israel 15.0* 27 47
Korea 40.0* 64 93
Mexico 5.0* 30 64
Netherlands 45.0 33 85
New Zealand 5.0 14 80
Norway 35.0 40 91
Portugal 27.5 48 89
Singapore 42.5 37 76
Spain 16.0 43 85
Sweden 37.5 52 95
Taiwan 50.0* na 85
Turkey 2.5* 13 34
Yugoslavia 17.5* 47 91

a Average of 1972, 1973 and 1974. b Manufactured exports include International
Standard Industrial Classification sub-categories 32 (textiles), 38 (metal
manufactures) and 39 (other manufactures).

c Manufactured exports include all processed primary products that are
classified as manufactures in United Nations statistics.

Sources: For column 1. United Nations Statistics, except for the asterisked
figures, which were obtained from Bela Balassa, of The World Bank, Washington,
D.C.; for column 2. Yearbook of International Trade Statistics, United Nations,
New York, for 1978 and 1979; and for column 3, the same two United Nations
yearbooks plus Economic Daily News, Taipei, and Economic Yearbook of the
Republic of China 1980, Taipei.

20

and the approximate character of the calculations.) So it was with other highly
protectionist countries in 1973. Chile exported only 2.5 percent of its
manufactures; Columbia only 7.5 percent; Greece only 12.5 percent; India only
7.5 percent; Mexico only 5 percent; Turkey only 2.5 percent. Brazil (a
questionable inclusion because of its large size) exported only 5 percent of
its manufactures.

Table 4 indicates that, of the developed democratic countries, New Zealand is
the most protectionist; it exported only 5 percent of its manufacturing
production. Australia is the second most protectionist on manufactures of the
developed democracies, and it exported only about 7.5 percent of its
manufactured output. Many countries allocate a great deal of labor and other
resources to manufacturing, but can sell only a small percentage of their
manufactured output in the competitive world market.

Let us now look at countries of similar industrial size with relatively open
policies. Austria, which is a member of the European Free Trade Association and
has relatively low tariffs, exports about a third of its manufactures. Denmark,
a country singularly lacking in natural resources for manufacturing,
nonetheless exports 42.5 percent of its manufactured output. Korea, with
relatively open policies on manufacturing by the standards of developing
countries, exports 40 percent of its production of manufactures. Similarly, the
other countries with relatively little industrial protection export a large
part of their manufactures: the Netherlands, 45 percent; Norway, 35 percent;
Portugal, 27.5 percent; Singapore, 42.5 percent; Taiwan, 50 percent. As might
be expected from its relatively low level of protection of manufactures, Sweden
exported a healthy 37.5 percent of it manufactures in 1973. Most significantly,
for the small and medium-sized countries on which I have succeeded in obtaining
data, there is not a single exception to the rule that the countries that
protect manufactures least, export manufactures most.

Note how this strong finding contrasts with the lack of any clear pattern in
any direction in the data on the size of the welfare state and economic growth.

At this point, a specialist in international economics, or any economist who
remembers to think of the tendency toward general equilibrium of the economy as
a whole, may say there is an obvious explanation of the foregoing results. The
country that has high levels of protection for manufactures may export little
of its manufactures simply because protection that reduces imports also reduces
the amount of that country's currency that is supplied to buy foreign exchange,
so the protection tends to raise the value of the country's currency and thus
reduce its exports. Over the long run the imports and exports of a country tend
to balance, so countries that don't import much also won't export much.

If protection of all kinds and exports of all kinds were at issue, this
argument could explain the foregoing results. But it is only the protection and
trade of industrial products that has been considered. Countries such as
Austria, Switzerland, the Common Market nations, and the Scandinavian countries
- Sweden included - are exceptionally protectionist where agriculture is
concerned. Yet, relatively speaking, they are not very protectionist in
manufacturing. The high protection of agriculture in these countries

21

Table 4: Average Levels of Industrial Tariffs (notes on the upper part of next
page)

World weightsc
No trade weighing: a simple average
Own country import weighing:b
Import weights on BTN aggregatesd
Import weights on each BTN commoditye

1976 Ave.
Finalf Ave.
1976 Ave.
FinalAve.
1976 Ave.
Final Ave.
1976 Ave.
Final Ave.

Australia
Dutiableg 28.8 28.0 29.1 28.1 27.8 26.7 26.4 25.2
Totalh 16.9 16.5 15.4 15.1 13.3 12.8 13.0 12.6

New Zealand
Dutiable 31.4 28.3 28.6 25.5 33.0 30.4 30.2 27.5
Total 24.3 21.9 19.7 17.6 20.5 18.7 18.0 16.3

EEC
Dutiable 8.8 6.0 9.8 7.2 9.5 7.0 9.6 7.1
Total 8.0 5.5 6.3 4.6 7.0 5.2 6.9 5.1

United States
Dutiable 15.6 9.2 8.3 5.7 9.2 5.5 7.6 4.8
Total 14.8 8.8 6.2 4.3 7.1 4.1 5.6 3.5

Japani
Dutiable 8.1 6.2 6.9 4.9 8.0 5.7 7.9 5.5
Total 7.3 5.6 3.2 2.3 6.1 4.4 5.8 4.1

Canada
Dutiable 13.7 7.8 13.1 8.9 12.0 7.3 12.9 8.3
Total 12.0 6.8 10.1 6.8 8.9 5.5 9.4 6.1

Austria
Dutiable 14.2 9.8 18.8 14.5 15.9 12.0 17.0 13.3
Total 11.6 8.1 14.5 11.2 10.5 7.9 10.9 8.5

Finland
Dutiable 17.0 14.6 11.6 9.2 11.2 9.0 11.5 9.1
Total 14.3 12.3 8.2 6.5 6.7 5.3 6.7 5.3

Norway
Dutiable 11.1 8.2 10.5 8.0 10.2 7.4 10.0 7.5
Total 8.5 6.3 6.4 4.9 5.8 4.3 5.8 4.4

Sweden
Dutiable 7.8 6.1 7.7 5.9 7.4 5.3 7.1 5.2
Total 6.2 4.9 6.3 4.8 4.6 3.3 4.5 3.3

Switzerland
Dutiable 3.7 2.7 4.1 3.3 4.2 3.1 4.0 3.1
Total 3.7 2.7 4.0 3.2 3.3 2.4 3.2 2.4

22

a. An average of tariff levels on the assumption that all commodities are of
equal significance; b. The relative weight attributed to each tariff is given
by the imports of that commodity by that country; c. The significance of each
tariff determined by world imports of the commodity, or aggregate of
commodities, to which the tariff applies. World imports are the imports of the
countries listed and the EEC. For Notes d. through i. and the sources, see The
Rise and Decline of Nations. raises the value of their currencies and reduces
the extent of their exports of manufactures. They nonetheless export a large
percentage of their manufactures. Similarly, many of the countries with
extraordinarily high levels of industrial protection, such as Argentina,
nonetheless export a fair amount of primary products.

To obtain a more general test of whether something besides exchange-rate or
"general equilibrium" effects is operating, I turn now to some calculations
done partly for the Holger Crafoord lecture in Lund out of which this essay
grows. These calculations are in columns 2 and 3 of Table 3. These columns
provide alternative measures of the proportion of a country's exports that are
manufactured or "processed" products. Though any statistical segregation of
manufactures here is arbitrary, the middle column is probably the better
measure of "true" manufactures. (Fortunately, the results are probably not very
sensitive to the definition of manufactures as the two columns are positively
correlated.)

These data show that there is a distinct (though not a very strong) tendency
for the countries with high levels of protection of manufactures to have a
relatively low percentage of exports that are manufactures. This suggests that
the protection of manufactures may well discourage efficiency
disproportionately in the manufacturing sector.2

There is still further evidence that the failure of those small and
medium-sized countries that lavishly protect manufactures to develop profitable
manufacturing export industries is not due only to exchange rate effects. A
country that changes from relatively open policies to high protection of
manufactures may actually reduce the rate of growth of manufacturing output for
domestic as well as international use. For example, after 1930 and especially
under the regime of Juan Peron, Argentina increased

2 One other factor probably helps to explain the limited proportion of exports
that are manufactures in countries that are very protective of manufacturing.
The supply curves of many primary product industries may be relatively
inelastic, so some of the enterprises in these industries will be able to
produce some output at modest costs even when the country's institutions are
not efficient. Countries with some exceptionally good mines or oil wells may be
expected to export same of the yield of their natural resources even if the
whole economy is badly organized. The Soviet Union fails to sell much in the
way of manufactured goods in free foreign markets and has even lost the large
agricultural exports it had in czarist times; it does nonetheless export
relatively large amounts of the prodution of its mines and wells and thus may
illustrate this point. (I am thankful to Christopher Clague for calling this
point to my attention.)

23

its protection of manufactures to a colossal level and systematically exploited
its agricultural export industries. As an authoritative study concludes, "the
most ironic lesson of postwar Argentine experience is that if there had been
less discrimination against exports, manufacturing expansion would have been
greater. Indeed, the annual growth rate of manufacturing during 1900-29 (5.6
percent) was higher than during 192965 (3.7 percent)."3

The Historical Relationship Is Also Strong

I have argued above that protection has a much greater impact in smaller
countries than large ones and we found in the data on smaller countries a
strong relationship between relative openness to imports of manufactures and
success in manufacturing. We can corroborate or refute the foregoing results by
looking at the historical evidence on the consequences of great increases in
the size of countries or jurisdictions with trade barriers. If protectionism
has a much greater impact on smaller jurisdictions, and if this impact is
overwhelmingly harmful, then we should expect that dramatic increases in the
size of a protectionist jurisdiction would greatly reduce the damage done by
the protection. This is a question that I examined in The Rise and Decline of
Nations, which offers theoretical reasons why a sudden and substantial increase
in the size of a protectionist jurisdiction should stimulate rapid economic
development. To facilitate a comparison of the historical evidence on the
impact of protectionism with the cross- country evidence that has just been
presented, I casually summarize here my evidence from Rise and Decline on
whether the great periods of freeing of trade - by the method of increasing the
size of the jurisdiction with protection - have in fact been associated with
rapid economic development.

Though the explicit efforts to reduce tariffs and quotas have received more
attention, it appears that the quantitatively most important freeing up of
trade has, in fact, occurred when larger jurisdictions have been created and
the mileage or length of protection thereby reduced. The most notable reduction
in the length of tariff barriers in recent times was brought about by the
creation of the Common Market in Europe through the Treaty of Rome in 1957.
What happened through the Common Market has happened many times in history,
usually through national unification that, often inadvertently, freed trade by
creating a far larger market in which, even if there high protection around the
newly unified country, there were no barriers to internal trade.

In the 1830s in Germany, for example, a Zollverein or customs union was
created, and gradually extended and deepened, until it culminated in the German
Reich that was completed in 1871. It is interesting that most of the
German-speaking areas of Europe

3 Carlos Diaz Alejandro, Essays on the Economic History of the Argentine
Republic (New Haven & London: Yale University Press, 1970), page 138; see also
pages 126, 139-40, 252, 259-60, and 271-72.

24

were relatively poor in the period before the Zollverein and the German Reich
were created. In the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, Germany was far
poorer than Britain and the Netherlands, and probably also had a distinctly
lower income than France. Nonetheless, in the second half of the nineteenth
century and in the years up to World War I, the German economy grew at an
extraordinary rate, so that by World War I Germany was undoubtedly one of the
greatest industrial powers of the world.

I call phenomena such as the creation of the Common Market and German
unification examples of "jurisdictional integration": such integration occurs
whenever a much bigger jurisdiction is created that has internal free trade.

Japan offers another example of jurisdictional integration. Before the Meiji
Restoration of 1867-68, Japan was divided into nearly three hundred separate
feudal domains, each under its own feudal lord or "daimyo." Normally each of
these domains had high levels of protection, limiting trade from that
jurisdiction to other parts of the Japanese Archipelago. To the extent the
Shogunate had some control over the whole of Japan, it used that control in
part to make Japan as a whole virtually autarchic with the rest of the world,
limiting trade and factor mobility with the outside world to a negligible
level; even travel abroad was punishable by death.

The Meiji Restoration (or revolution) of 1867-68 created a free trade area
within Japan. It eliminated the separate feudal jurisdictions and thus also the
trade restrictions that went with them. At about the same time, a group of
Western powers forced on Japan the "humiliating treaties." These treaties are
described as "humiliating" because the Japanese were too weak to prevent their
imposition. One of these treaties prohibited Japan from having any protective
tariffs; for fifty years the country could have nothing more than tariffs for
revenue only at rates of 5 percent or less. Because of the jurisdictional
integration plus the "humiliating treaties," Japan experienced an increase in
freedom of trade.

Japan was a poor and underdeveloped country before this process occurred. Some
Western observers believed that the Japanese would never be able to manage
modern economic life. Yet, not long after the Meiji Restoration, Japan began to
grow very rapidly. One symptom of that growth, besides the evidence from the
statistics, is that by 1904-05 Japan was already powerful enough to defeat
Russia in a war.

At the end of the eighteenth century there was another example of
jurisdictional integration - the United States. At the time of the Declaration
of Independence in 1776, and for several years after, the thirteen ex-colonies
were virtually independent countries. The U.S. government was created only in
1789, when the U.S. Constitution went into effect. The Constitution outlawed
the tariffs that some states, such as New York, had imposed against imports
from other states. So the United States then became a substantial market in
which, internally, there has been free trade to this day. To be sure, through
most of the nineteenth century and until the 1930s, the United States was a
highly protectionist country. Nonetheless, because of the absence of tariffs by
states and the great growth of the U.S. over the nineteenth century, the U.S.
has enjoyed a large and growing unrestricted internal market.

25

We see much the same phenomenon when we go back to Holland in the 17th century.
When the United Provinces rebelled against Spain, they created an area in
which, generally speaking, there was internal free trade. Although the
Netherlands was not large by the standards of countries today, by the feudal
standards of the time it was reasonably substantial. Moreover, its location and
flat topography - much of it below sea level - meant that it was uniquely
suited to canals, so that it had an exceptionally large area that was
accessible to water-borne transportation. Before long, Holland entered its
"Golden Age" and became the world's leader in economic development.

If we go back still further to the end of the Middle Ages, we find that the
first country in Europe to establish true unification was England, or more
precisely, England and Wales. By the sixteenth century, the parochial feudal
system had been all but abolished in England. Some time later Scotland was
conquered and all of Great Britain was essentially one free market. The
semiautonomous towns and feudal fiefs with their separate trade restrictions
were made part of a unified Britain. Though the textbooks call this a
mercantilistic period and correctly emphasize that there were high national
tariffs, there was nevertheless a great freeing of trade because of the
increase in the size of the jurisdictions that restricted trade. This was also
the period of the Commercial Revolution and of substantial economic progress,
which was soon to be interrupted by the English civil wars of the nineteenth
century. After this unstable and revolutionary period ended, Britain became the
location for the epochal economic progress of the Industrial Revolution.

Thus in several periods of history protection has been dramatically reduced
simply because a big market replaced many small protected markets. Even though
the big markets were sometimes highly protected, there was a great freeing of
trade, which was followed in every case by rapid economic development.

Wider Evidence on Free Trade, Competitive Markets, and Growth

I have emphasized the foregoing evidence on the value of wide and unprotected
markets as seedbeds of economic growth because it is a new and different type
of evidence. But more familiar types of evidence point in the same direction.
This is not the place to go over the massive literature on international trade,
but it may be useful to refer briefly to the discovery in recent years, by
leading specialists on international trade and economic development, that trade
policy has incomparably more importance for the growth of the developing
countries than economists previously realized.

As I see it, the discovery arose because most of the less-developed countries
have chosen levels of protection of manufactures that are vastly higher - often
ten or twenty times higher - than those in the developed democracies, while a
minority of the developing societies have, by contrast, turned to "outward-
looking" policies. The performance of these less protectionist societies has
been incomparably better than that

26

of the societies with "inward looking" policies. This is evident not only from
many careful studies of selected sets of countries, but also from the
systematic examination of essentially all of the developing countries on which
there is usable data. In a study summarized in the World Development Report for
1987,4 the World Bank examined 41 developing countries, which it classified
according to the extent they were protectionist and inward looking, on the one
hand, or approached relative neutrality in their treatment of imports and
exports, on the other.

Notwithstanding the great importance of other factors, the less protectionist
or more outward looking countries grew far more rapidly than the more inward
looking, and usually did better by other measures of economic performance as
well. As is well known, Hong Kong, Korea, and Singapore were distinguished both
by their lesser use of protection and also by their rapid economic growth, but
there was a similar if less marked variation in the degree of protection and in
economic performance across the whole set of countries. Though it has not
achieved anything like the per capita income of the three countries just named,
Korea is nonetheless classified with the "gang of four" most successful
developing countries. Some observers of Korea argue that it has had significant
levels of protection and also that the country has by no means had a policy of
laissez faire. There is evidence for the latter argument, but the high level of
both imports and exports in Korea makes it clear that it has been, at least by
the standards of most developing countries, definitely an outward-looking and
relatively open country. In any event, a change in the classification of only
one or a few countries would by no means eliminate the strong association
between an outward orientation and faster growth found in data analyzed by the
World Bank. Thus the evidence that the less protectionist developing countries
have tended to have far better economic performance than more protectionist
countries cannot be dismissed.

Another kind of evidence that is worth singling out is the record of the firms
and industries in advanced countries that have been especially impressive in
international competition. Michael E. Porter and his many associates have done
a large scale, ten- nation study of many such firms and industries and the
results have been published in Porter's book, The Competitive Advantage of
Nations.5 That book examines an almost endless number of specific cases with a
lot of convincing detail showing that the winning firms and industries in
international competition have systematically been bred in environments in
which there was vigorous domestic as well as international competition. In
contrast, protectionism, cartelization, and subsidization have systematically
failed to produce internationally impressive firms and industries. (An
apparently disproportionate number of Porter's examples of successful firms and
industries are Swedish, and we shall later see that this is not surprising in
the light of my argument here.) The successful firms and industries are also
regularly nourished and driven by what Porter calls a "cluster" of symbiotic
and motivating activities - by a wide

4 Oxford University Press, 1987; see especially chapter 5. pp. 78-94.

5 New York: The Free Press, 1990.

27

array of competitive suppliers of inputs in the form of intermediate goods, by
labor with the necessary specialized skills, and by pertinent and high quality
research and education, and by demanding consumers with good alternatives. The
combination of vigorous competition and unrestricted access to a vast variety
of inputs generate the continued innovation and ever-increasing efficiency that
are required for international competitive advantage.6 I conclude that there is
no way that a small country with a high level of protection could have either
the vigorous domestic competition or the symbiotic competitive cluster of
activities and readily available inputs that are needed for success in
international competition. Thus Porter's book provides yet another kind of
evidence that uninhibited trade and large markets are decisively important for
economic progress.

Still other kinds of evidence from all over the world (including eastern
Europe) point in the same direction, but the time has come for us to relate the
strong findings in this chapter to the ambiguous results in Chapter 1.

Why Does Protectionism Hurt Growth More than Welfare Does?

There is a puzzling contrast between the strong statistical and historical
patterns suggesting that protectionism is extraordinarily damaging, especially
in smaller countries, and the lack of any clear pattern in the raw facts on the
size of the welfare state and economic growth. Why does government intervention
in markets that cross international borders have such dramatic and easily
demonstrated effects on economic performance, when the impact of the size of
the welfare state on the rate of economic growth is difficult to discern in the
aggregate data?

As we shall see, some forms of intervention in markets do indeed usually have
far larger impacts on economic performance than others, in part because the
impacts of some types of intervention are fairly closely monitored and thus
limited, whereas others are not. The next chapter will distinguish two
different types of redistributions of income that usually have quite different
impacts on economic development. The type of redistribution of income that is
more damaging to economic performance also turns out to be more complex and
less conspicuous. Sweden has uniquely high levels of the more conspicuous but
less costly type of redistribution, but it does not appear to have unusually
high levels of the less conspicuous but more damaging type of redistribution. I
shall attempt to show in this book that that is the single most important
reason why Sweden is not doing worse than it is.

6 Independently, Christopher Clague has found by econometric methods that the
manufactured exports of the less developed - and on average vastly more
protectionist countries are, disproportionately, relatively self-contained
products that can be produced without unrestricted access to a wide variety of
intermediate goods and other inputs. See Christopher Clague, "Relative
Efficiency, Self-Containment and Comparative Costs of Less-Developed
Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, forthcoming.

Chapter 3: Explicit, Implicit, and Efficient Redistribution

Most people use the phrase "income redistribution" to refer to transfers to
relatively low- income people through social insurance or welfare-state
programs explicitly designed to reduce the inequality of the distribution of
income. But many other kinds of governmental intervention also change the
distribution of income, as does collective action of groups of firms or workers
in the marketplace. The tariffs, import quotas, and other protectionist
measures considered in the last chapter undoubtedly change the distribution of
income - they change the prices of some products and thus also the returns to
the firms and the owners of the labor and other resources that produce these
products. Public subsidies, price supports, and tax loopholes obviously also
change the distribution of income. Even many public policies that have little
or no significance in the budget of the government - such as regulations that
restrict entry, limit competition, fix prices, or mandate benefits to employees
and others - change the distribution of income. Similarly, whenever firms or
workers successfully combine, whether through explicit cartelization or tacit
collusion, to change prices or wages this again changes the distribution of
income.

"Implicit" and "Explicit" Redistributions

It is useful to label the money and the services that governments openly
transfer or provide to low-income people, simply because they are deemed
morally to deserve or need the assistance, as explicit redistributions. By
contrast, when a society is persuaded to choose a policy mainly for some reason
other than its redistributive effect - as is the case when a society protects
manufacturers against competing imports, or regulates prices or competition in
some industry, because it is persuaded that will further the

29

development or strength of the country - that redistribution will here be
called an implicit redistribution of income.

In keeping with standard usage in economics, I define the social cost of a
redistribution, whether it is explicit or implicit, as only the "deadweight
loss" or "excess burden," that is, the reduction in the national income from
the transfer. If one group is taxed to finance transfers to another, the social
cost is the reduction in the income of the society that results from any
impairment of the incentives to work, to save, to innovate, and to allocate
resources to their most productive uses, plus the costs incurred in
administering the transfer. The amount that the taxpayers transfer, though
obviously a matter of interest to them, is not a loss or cost to the society
since the recipients of the transfer are also a part of the society. This
definition of social cost is standard in economics and is obviously also the
one that is relevant when explaining the rate of economic growth or the level
of per capita income in a society.1

Of the many of redistributional activities, both explicit and implicit, that
take place, which have the greatest social cost for each dollar or crown
redistributed? Strangely, this subject, important as it is, has been so badly
neglected that we must work out much of the analysis from the start.

The Criteria for Redistributions Generate the Social Costs

In economic theory, there is a familiar answer to the question of what type of
redistributions has the least social cost: the "lump-sum" transfer, by
definition, has no impact on incentives and thus no social loss whatever
associated with it. The concept of the lump-sum transfer is a useful
simplifying device in theoretical discussions, but all sides agree that no
society could in practice have a continuing program of lump-sum transfers. The
continuing transfers would be taken into account in behavior and thus would
affect the incentives and the income of the society. So the practical question
is, what types of systematic transfers that are actually possible will come
closest to the lump-sum ideal?

Although there will inevitably be some excess burden from the taxes that raise
the money for a transfer, the deadweight loss can usually be minimized by an
unconditional cash transfer. If the recipients of the transfer are not required
to do or not do anything to receive the transfer, the transfer will not have
any effect on the incentives that they face.

1 If any expenditure, whether by the private or the public sector, actually
increases the national income, then I will classify it here as an investment
rather than a redistribution, even if the increase in income does not spread
evenly throughout the society. Thus a public investment in the skills of the
poor (or, for that matter, a program for the rich) that did in fact increase
the national income would not be considered a redistribution, no matter how
much this shifted the distribution in favor of the poor (or in favor of the
rich). Our problem will become intractable unless we distinguish
redistributional activities from investments and changes in the supplies of
productive factors.

30

If the transfer is in the form of cash, the recipient can use it as he or she
pleases, so there is also no distortion of the consumption choices of
recipients.

The great practical force of this point is evident if we consider an uneconomic
industry. Assume that, say, the shipbuilding industry has lost its comparative
advantage, so that the costs of operating the shipyards are greater than the
revenues that can be obtained and that in the absence of any redistribution to
the industry they would be closed down. Let us stipulate that there is no
external economy to justify any subsidy on grounds of social efficiency and
that any aid or protection for the industry arises only because of the
political pressure applied by the shipbuilding companies and workers to obtain
protection or aid for themselves.

Suppose the organized shipbuilding companies and the workers through lobbying
obtain a ban on the purchase of foreign ships. Protectionism benefits the firms
and workers who sought it only as long as they remain in the industry. If the
criteria for getting any kind of government aid is (as it usually is) that the
firms and the workers continue to remain employed in the industry, then the
recipients will have to allocate their time and other resources to shipbuilding
to qualify for the redistribution.

Keeping the losing industry going entails that the resources devoted to it
produce output of less value to the society than they would have produced in
the most attractive employment in unsubsidized sectors of the society. That is,
these resources are partly wasted and there will therefore be a cost to the
society beyond that of the taxes or other direct costs of the redistribution.

This argument applies not only to bailouts and aid to declining industries, but
also to redistributions to growing industries. If there is, say, a
redistributive tariff or subsidy that raises the price in a thriving industry
or activity, then other resources will move to take advantage of the higher
price and these entering resources will then usually produce less value to
society than before. This migration will cease only when the marginal private
return is the same in the favored activity as elsewhere, but then the return to
society at the margin will be less than the return to identical resources in
unsubsidized areas. The migration to subsidized areas also means that some of
the redistribution will, from the point of view of those who sought it, be
wasted.

Usually, redistributions of the typical kinds to any industry, occupation, or
region, or any redistribution to the users of some input, will mean resources
are allocated in a way that produces less value to society. That is, subsidies
or regulations that favor a particular group rather than correct a market
failure - and are accordingly simply redistributive2 - generate losses for the
society. They generate social waste because

2 Though they won't matter much for the argument here, there are some
complexities that need to be dealt with to isolate the smaller implicit
redistributions. To determine whether a measure is "simply redistributive," it
is necessary to specify an initial or reference set of institutions and
policies in order to delineate changes. Any stipulated set of initial
conditions may, of course, be controversial; there are different ideas about
what institutions are most productive. Thus some observers might object to any
given measure of the extent of implicit redistribution because they objected to
the initial state in terms of which the change in policy was defined. (The note
continues on next page.)

31

normally the criterion for receiving the redistribution to an industry or
occupation or locality is that the relevant firms or workers must allocate
their capital and their time to the favored sector rather than to the sector
that would, in the absence of the redistribution, have been most profitable.

To keep the costs of the redistribution from becoming insupportably high and to
prevent the redistribution from being "wasted" on those for whom it was not
intended, regulations or limitations are often established. A government
regulatory agency may be created to prevent "abusive" or "speculative" actions
to take advantage of the subsidy and to prevent an oversupply of the subsidized
good. Sometimes only the original firms and workers will be legally entitled to
receive the higher price or other subsidy in question. In declining industries
the regulatory measures may even be designed to induce some of the excess
resources to leave the industry at the same time that the protection or
subsidization make the industry more profitable than it would otherwise have
been. Such measures can reduce the extent to which conditional redistributions
distort the allocation of resources a cross industries.

Slower Innovation as a Deadweight Loss

Restrictions and regulations also have to be applied in practice and enforced,
and this entails some administrative or regulatory involvement in the
productive process. The costs of the bureaucracy needed for this purpose may
not be very large, but the social costs of the extra complexity, rigidity, and
delay are rarely small. If the benefits of a higher price or any other subsidy
are to be restricted to the original capital and labor in the relevant
industry, then some authority must decide what whether a given expenditure is
just maintenance and repair or really a new investment. If the regulation is
going to block the extra output that would otherwise result from a higher price
or other subsidy, then the level of output of each firm must be monitored and
controlled.

If new investment or output are controlled, the incentive to innovate is no
longer so clear. If exploiting a new technology or idea changes the optimal
level of investment and production, as it usually does, the new desired new
pattern of investment or production is unlikely to get the needed regulatory
approvals without delay. Those enterprises that would lose from a rival's
innovation can also use the politics of the

Note, however, that the concept of implicit redistribution is applicable
whatever initial distribution of endowments or wealth is preferred - the
desired distribution of wealth can be obtained by explicit redistributions. To
delineate implicit redistributions we need only distinguish productive measures
that increase social income from those that implicitly redistribute it. Of
course, even this can sometimes be very difficult.

Since this book is concerned only with implicit redistributions that bring
large deadweight losses, this complication is not a major difficulty here.
There is not much controversy among skilled specialists about which policies
that have large excess burdens.

32

regulatory process to block the innovation.

Thus the controls that are needed to prevent waste and abuse in a subsidized
sector normally delay innovation and slow the reallocation of resources. The
social cost of conditional redistribution often includes a lower rate of
innovation and a less flexible economy. Some economists speak of "excess
burdens" and "deadweight losses" only in static contexts where innovation,
flexibility, and productivity growth are irrelevant, but this usage is
misleading and (since the dynamic losses are usually much larger that the
static costs) also mischievous. In this book, the excess burden or deadweight
loss resulting from a conditional redistribution includes the slower
productivity growth that regulation and other complex decision-making
procedures bring about.

If those in the protected, subsidized, or cartelized industry are simply given
cash from the government with no strings attached, then the total cost to the
rest of society is merely the sum transferred plus the deadweight loss of the
taxes that obtain this sum; the recipients of the cash still have an incentive
to allocate their capital and their labor to whatever employments offer the
highest returns, and (in the absence of other market failures) these will be in
the sectors with the highest marginal return to society. It is true that the
beneficiaries of the unconditional cash subsidy will be better off because of
the transfer to them, and the "income effect" of the transfer could make them
take more leisure, but this does not reduce the efficiency of the society. Some
have more income and may take more leisure, and others have less income and
take less leisure, but (apart from the excess burden of the taxes) the
efficiency of the society is not changed.

The new distribution of disposable income arising because of the redistribution
may or may not be unjust, but that is a separate issue that is not relevant to
the present question of which types of redistribution have the lower social
costs. When a redistribution is by its nature or conditions restricted to those
who remain in the existing pattern of activity, it is usually possible to
provide the recipients with the same net gain, at a smaller cost, by giving
them an unconditional cash payment. Thus no amount of moral concern about
fairness alters the reality that it is the criteria or conditions inherent in
protectionism and in most aid to industries, occupations, and localities that
increase their social costs.

It is also important not to overstate the point that has just been made. It is
possible that the excess burden of the taxes needed to finance an unconditional
cash transfer could exceed the deadweight loss from the protection, monopoly,
regulation, or other devices are often used for an implicit redistribution.3 In
this case the unconditional cash transfer would not be the cheapest form of
redistribution. Essentially, the reason for this is that tax burdens are also
conditional - the amount of tax we have to pay is understandably conditional on
how much income we earn and thus on how much we work and save, and this makes
our individual choices socially less efficient. The conditionality inherent in
taxation could cause greater distortions than the conditions on the typical
implicit redistribution. The logical possibility that a typical measure for

3 I am grateful to Stephen Baba for reminding me of this.

33

implicit redistribution could have a lower social cost than a typical implicit
redistribution is not, however, so important in practice. This study will go on
to indicate reasons why the social costs of many implicit and conditional
redistributions will, in reality, usually become far higher than an
unconditional cash transfer would have been.

Conditions on Explicit Redistributions to the Poor

The idea of conditionality as the source of distortions can also be applied to
explicit redistributions to low-income people. There is one criterion for most
such transfers that causes them to have a greater deadweight loss than an
unconditional cash transfer of equal size. One nearly universal condition on
welfare-state grants for the poor is that they will no longer be available if
the recipient becomes prosperous. This condition is only natural and proper,
but we must, if we are being honest, recognize that it entails some deadweight
loss: the poor person who somehow mitigates his or her plight thereby loses
some transfers, and this reduces the poor person's incentive to obtain an
income high enough to end the redistribution.

As this last illustration suggests, the point of my argument is not to advocate
redistributions with no strings attached - it is rather to make clear that the
criteria or conditions that qualify an individual or firm to receive
redistributions are the main source of their social costs. This idea, and the
distinction between explicit and implicit redistributions, are indispensable
for a full understanding of economic efficiency and growth in the modern world.

The Theory of Efficient Redistribution

We can also now begin to assess what I like to call the theory of "efficient
redistribution," which grows out of the work of Gary Becker, Donald Wittman,
Earl Thompson and Roger Faith, and others.4 Although different advocates of
this theory make somewhat different arguments, the most basic idea, at least in
Gary Becker's formulation, is that those who lose from redistributions of
income have an incentive to

4 Gary Becker, "A Theory of Competition Among Pressure Groups for Political
Influence," Quarterly Journal of Economics, (August 1983), pp. 371-400, "Public
Policies, Pressure Groups, and Dead Weight Costs," Journal of Public Economics,
28 (1985), pp. 329-347; Earl Thompson and Roger Faith, "A Pure Theory of
Strategic Behavior and Social Institutions," American Economic Review, vol. 71
(June 1981) pp. 366-80; Donald Wittman, "Why Democracies Produce Efficient
Results," Journal of Political Economy Vol. 97, No.6, (December 1989), pp.
1395-1424; and Bruce Gardner, "Efficient Redistribution Through Commodity
Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 65 (May 1983), pp.
225-34.

34

keep their losses to a minimum. When a redistribution to one group in a society
increases to the point where the losses to others become large, then the
resistance to this redistribution also increases. If the losses are
substantial, Becker emphasizes, there will be so much political resistance that
the redistribution is almost certain to be curtailed.

The deadweight losses from redistributions obviously add to the losses of those
who lose from the redistribution, and they do not, of course, help the
beneficiaries of the redistribution either. Both the gainers and the losers
therefore have an incentive to keep the excess burden to a minimum. Indeed,
they have an incentive to bargain with one another until they maximize the
joint gains that they can obtain from reducing excess burdens - in other words,
an incentive to continue bargaining until the society has achieved an efficient
allocation of resources.

In Donald Wittman's formulation, at least, it is only the time and other
valuable resources used up in the bargaining - only the transactions costs -
that keep a society from achieving the most efficient state we can conceive of.
But transactions and bargaining costs are an inescapable feature of reality,
and the cost of the time and other resources that they use up is just as
meaningful as any other cost. So transactions costs, like the costs of any
productive activity, should be part of the costs we take into account in
defining a Pareto-efficient or totally efficient state. Some of those who use
the theory of efficient redistribution therefore conclude that the existing
societies, notwithstanding the redistributions they often engage in, are
essentially Pareto-efficient.

Accordingly, the theory of efficient redistribution predicts that any social
losses from redistributions are small and that redistribution is, at least for
the most part, "efficient redistribution." Unstinting proponents of this type
of thinking, such as Thompson and Faith and Donald Wittman, therefore say (in
effect) that our world could not be much more efficient - that this is, indeed,
the best of all possible worlds.

If the theory of efficient redistribution is right, then we seem to have an
answer to our second question: any redistribution that actually occurs anywhere
is quite efficient and so any social costs are small. It follows that Sweden
cannot be losing much from its large welfare state.

We Are Not Done Yet

Unfortunately, even though it contains the germs of some important truths, the
theory of efficient redistribution is in large part wrong. We still have a ways
to go to get an answer to our second question of why Sweden isn't worse off.

To see what is wrong about the theory of efficient redistribution - and even to
isolate the elements of truth in it - we need a new conceptual framework. To
construct this framework, we shall need a number of different ideas, including
the distinction between explicit and implicit redistribution that has been
developed in this chapter.

The new conceptual framework is presented in the next two chapters. Some of the

35

concepts in this framework are new and others are drawn from my books on The
Logic of Collective Action5 and The Rise and Decline of Nations. I shall
endeavor to present the argument in such a way that it will involve very little
repetition for those who have read these books, yet be comprehensible to those
who have not. When this framework is complete, we will not only be able to see
what is right and wrong about the theory of efficient redistribution, but we
shall also be able to look at modern Sweden from a new angle.

5 Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1965.

Chapter 4: "Rational Ignorance" and the Bias of Collective Action

No analysis of the social costs of redistributions can capture the essence of
the matter unless it faces up to a sad and inescapable reality: "rational
ignorance." The seemingly oxymoronic phrase "rational ignorance" is not, in
fact, a contradiction in terms. In many circumstances, the typical citizen
serves his or her individual interests best by allocating little or no time to
the study of public affairs, even though this leaves the citizen ignorant of
many matters that are important for the country and thus also for his or her
own wellbeing.

The paradox becomes clear when one examines the situation of an average citizen
who is deciding how much time to devote to studying the public policy choices
facing the country. The more time the citizen spends studying public affairs,
the greater the likelihood that his or her vote will be cast in favor of
rational policies. The typical citizen will, however, receive only a small
share of the gain from more effective policies and leadership; if there are a
million citizens, an average citizen will get only one- millionth of the total
gain. Yet that citizen bears the whole cost of whatever he or she does to
become better informed about public affairs. Thus each citizen would be better
off if all citizens spent more time finding out how to vote to make the country
better serve their common interests.

The gain to a voter from studying public issues to determine the vote that is
truly in his or her interest is the value to that one individual of the "right"
election outcome, multiplied by the probability that a change in this one
individual's vote will change the outcome of the election. Since the
probability that a typical voter will change the outcome of the election is
minuscule, the typical citizen, whether a physician or a taxi driver, is
usually rationally ignorant about public affairs. This point was made, albeit
less starkly, in Anthony Downs's classic 1957 book, An Economic Theory of

37

Democracy,1 and in recent years its extraordinary practical importance is
coming to be realized.

Occasionally information about public affairs is so interesting or entertaining
that it pays to acquire it for these reasons alone. Similarly, individuals in a
few special vocations can receive considerable rewards in private goods if they
acquire exceptional knowledge of public goods. Politicians, lobbyists,
journalists, and social scientists, for example, may earn more money, power, or
prestige from a knowledge of the public's business. Sometimes exceptional
knowledge of public policy can generate exceptional profits in stock exchanges
or other markets. Nevertheless, the typical citizen finds that his or her
income and life chances are not improved by the zealous study of public
affairs. Most people are not, of course, totally self-interested, and their
altruistic motives make many of them study public affairs somewhat more than
self-interest alone would justify, but the evidence nonetheless reveals that
rational ignorance is undoubtedly the norm.

This fact - that the benefits of individual enlightenment about public goods
are usually dispersed throughout a group or nation, rather than concentrated
upon the individual who bears the costs of becoming enlightened - illuminates
many other phenomena as well. It explains, for example, the "man bites dog"
criterion of what is newsworthy. If the television newscasts were watched or
newspapers were read solely to obtain the most important information about
public affairs, aberrant events of little public importance would be ignored
and typical patterns of quantitative significance would be emphasized. Since
the news is, by contrast, largely an alternative to other forms of diversion or
entertainment, intriguing oddities and human-interest items are commonplace.
Similarly, events that unfold in a suspenseful way or sex scandals among public
figures are fully covered by the media, whereas the complexities of economic
policy or quantitative analyses of public problems receive only minimal
attention. Public officials, often able to thrive without giving the citizens
good value for their taxes, may fall from power because of an exceptional
mistake that is simple and striking enough to be newsworthy. Extravagant
statements, picturesque protests, and unruly demonstrations that offend much of
the public are also explicable in this way: they make gripping news and thus
call attention to interests and arguments that might otherwise be ignored. Even
some acts of terrorism that are described as senseless can, from this
perspective, be explained as effective means of obtaining the riveted attention
of a public to demands about which they otherwise would remain rationally
ignorant.

In part because of rational ignorance, there is much more implicit
redistribution than explicit redistribution in most democratic societies. These
implicit redistributions, moreover, normally are not efficient redistributions.
The prevalence of implicit and exceptionally inefficient redistributions is due
to the way that rational ignorance interacts with a bias in the pattern of
collective action, to which we now turn.

1 New York: Harper & Row.

38

The Difficulties of Collective Action

The rational ignorance of the typical voter is an example of the general logic
of collective action. This logic is readily evident in organizations that lobby
a government for special-interest legislation or that cooperate in the
marketplace to obtain higher prices or wages. Some examples are professional
associations of physicians or lawyers, labor unions, trade associations of
firms in individual industries, farm organizations, or oligopolistic
collusions.

Such organizations can only be understood if we are aware of how difficult
collective action is for large groups. It is difficult because the benefits of
collective action go automatically to everyone in some group or category. If an
association of firms wins a tariff, that raises the price for every firm that
sells the commodity or product in question, regardless of whether the firm
contributed to the effort to win the tariff. Similarly, if one group of workers
strikes to bring a higher wage in some factory or mine, all the workers in the
relevant factory or mine receive the benefit of the higher wage, regardless of
whether they paid dues to the union or walked in the picket lines that made the
strike successful. The same reasoning applies to the firms or workers
attempting to raise prices or wages by combining to restrict the quantity
supplied.

Because the benefits of collective action go to everyone in a category or
group, it is not rational for an individual in a large group or class to make
any voluntary sacrifices in the interests of the group. The individual citizen
or firm will get the benefits of whatever actions others undertake whether or
not he contributes anything and, in large groups, the single individual or firm
is not able to bring about the desired results singlehandedly. The precise
logic and the empirical evidence validating this point are set out in my book
on The Logic of Collective Action, and in the literature that has grown out of
that book, so it should not be necessary to go into any detail on this matter
here.

It is, however, essential to note that the individuals in large groups do not
voluntarily, in the absence of special arrangements I will consider below,
contribute time and money to organizations that would lobby or fix prices or
wages for exactly the same reason that the typical citizen remains rationally
ignorant about many aspects of public affairs. An individual receives only a
minuscule share of the return from any sacrifice he or she makes in the
interest of a group, whether the sacrifice takes the form of dues paid to a
lobbying or cartelistic organization, or research into what political outcomes
are best for individuals like oneself. Thus many groups with common interests -
such as consumers, taxpayers, the unemployed, and the poor - are not organized
for collective action, and most people have only the haziest knowledge of
public affairs.

Those large organizations to lobby the government or fix prices and wages that
have managed to survive have special arrangements that mainly explain why they
are able to attract dues-paying members. There are in all large and lasting
organizations for collective action some special gimmicks, which I call
"selective incentives," that account for most of the membership. The selective
incentives are individualized benefits or

39

punishments that induce firms or people to participate in, or help pay the
costs of, collective action. One example of a selective incentive is the
element of compulsion inherent in the closed shop, the union shop, and the
coercive picket line, but this is only the most obvious example. All large
organizations for collective action that survive have some analogous
arrangements. These arrangements are usually very subtle and often provide
individual benefits to those who contribute to the organization for collective
action, while denying the benefits to those who do not.

When the beneficiaries of collective action are few, there may be voluntary
rational action to obtain collective goods without selective incentives.
Consider the small number of large firms in a relatively concentrated industry.
If there are, say, three large firms of about the same size in an industry,
each firm will obtain about a third of the benefits of any action to get
governmental favors or higher prices for the industry. This third of the
benefits will usually be a sufficient incentive for considerable action in the
interest of the industry. When the numbers in a group are small, it will also
be true that each participant will have a noticeable effect on how well the
common interest of the small group is served, and this will affect the
likelihood that the others will contribute. Thus small groups will often
bargain until they agree to act in their group interest to a complete or "group
optimal" extent. This organizational advantage of small groups, and
particularly of small groups of large firms has, as will be shown below,
important implications for the pattern of redistributions that emerges in most
societies.

Since collective action is difficult and problematical, it normally takes quite
some time before a group can overcome the difficulties of collective action,
even if it has the small numbers or the access to selective incentives that are
needed. The bargaining that can make it possible for a small group to organize
or collude to an optimal extent usually takes some time, since unanimous
consent is needed for full-scale cooperation. Organizing large groups is
incomparably more difficult and time-consuming. Selective incentives, even if
potentially available, are hard to arrange. If the selective incentives are to
be positive rewards to those who participate, there has to be some surplus
profit or advantage somewhere that can be used as the source of the rewards,
and this surplus will normally be devoted to the collective action only if
there is a complementarity between the activity that generates the surplus and
the collective action (as is the case when a lobby gets favorable legislation
for the enterprise that provides the resources for its selective incentives).
If the selective incentive is the punishment of those who do not share in the
costs of the collective action, this punishment has to be organized and the
resistance to it overcome.

The time it takes to get collective action going was illustrated when Jimmy
Hoffa, who ultimately became a powerful American union leader, was a youth
working in a warehouse in Michigan. On a hot June day, the warehouse company
received a large shipment of strawberries and other fresh produce that would
become valueless unless it reached consumers before it spoiled. Jimmy Hoffa and
his collaborators chose that moment to organize a strike and a union, and the
management, rather than lose the fresh produce, gave in. It is only in the
fullness of time that many groups will have had the

40

able leadership and the favorable circumstances needed to organize for
collective action. As we shall see, this fact has important implications for
economic growth.

The Inegalitarian Bias of Collective Action

If my theory of collective action is correct, the capacity for collective
action is most common among the relatively established and prosperous interests
in society and is virtually absent among the poorest and most insecure elements
in the population. As we have seen, collective action is less difficult with
small numbers, and this favors the organization and collusion of such groups as
the large firms in concentrated industries. Selective incentives are also more
often available to "insiders" - incumbent workers and well-established people -
than to prospective entrants and those on the lowest rangs of the social
ladder. I have shown elsewhere that the learned professions often have the
widest array of selective incentives.2 Incumbent workers in an enterprise have
already assembled for work and, if they have worked together long enough to
have established a social network, they have a good chance to organize a union.
By contrast, the unemployed are not automatically assembled or associated in
ways that make selective incentives available through social interaction.
Normally, all of the poor and marginal parts of the population are without
access to selective incentives. It is not, however, poverty or insecurity
themselves that prevent collective action. Consumers - even consumers of luxury
goods - are also not organized; they do not have the advantage of small
numbers, and they make their purchases at so many scattered locations that the
selective incentives of picket lines and social interaction available to some
workers are also unattainable.

Some people may wonder whether my hypothesis that the well-established and
economically powerful elements in society are usually best able to overcome the
difficulties of collective action fits the facts. We can test this hypothesis
by examining how long it took different groups to overcome the difficulties of
collective action. If well-established and well-off groups are, in fact, able
to organize more readily than humbler groups, then the first organizations for
collective would have represented those groups, and the poorest and least
secure parts of the population should not even now be organized.

1 Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations, published in 1776, is a superb source of
information about some of the first groups that were able to organize for
collective action. This book is mainly an attack on "mercantilism," or on
government policies and collusive prices that result from the combined action
of "merchants" and master- manufacturers. In Adam Smith's time and before,
merchants and manufacturers were often organized in guilds. Smith emphasized
how often merchants and master

2 Olson, Collective Action.

41

manufacturers colluded to fix prices or to influence government; he said that
they rarely gathered, even for merriment or diversion, without conspiring to
fix prices. He also argued that ordinary laborers, the poor, and those in
agricultural pursuits were usually not organized and had relatively little
influence. Adam Smith's observations, as well as a good deal of other evidence,
support the deduction earlier in this essay that small groups, such as the
merchants or manufacturers in a particular industry or town, find it less
difficult to organize than large groups do.

The selective incentives that large groups need to organize are also more often
available to those with established positions and higher incomes than to poorer
and less secure individuals. The historical record in country after country
shows that the learned professions tended to organize long before workers of
lesser income and status. Similarly, skilled workers organized unions long
before unskilled workers did. The first unions represented skilled workers in
England. During the first half century of organized labor in the United States,
unionized workers were called the "aristocracy of labor." Even among unskilled
workers, it is mainly those who already have jobs, and almost never the
unemployed or new entrants, that are organized. Men are also more often
organized than women and individuals in relatively well-placed ethnic and
social groups more often organized than those and those in disadvantaged
groups. Most important of all, there is no society anywhere in which the
poorest people or the unemployed are organized.

Experience therefore confirms the hypothesis that the capacity for collective
action is positively correlated with income and established position. We must
now go on to examine how this reality, in combination with rational ignorance,
comes in time to generate large implicit redistributions, most of which are far
indeed from being efficient redistributions.

Chapter 5: Why Implicit and Inefficient Redistribution is Commonplace

We have seen that rational ignorance is a fundamental reality grounded in
individual rationality, that the difficulties of collective action can
eventually be overcome by some groups but not by others, and that it is
disproportionately the nonpoor, insider, and establishment interests that are
organized for collective action. What will organizations representing nonpoor
established interests have an incentive to do, given that they operate in a
society in which most people are rationally ignorant?

The answer depends in part on the extent to which these organizations, whose
members are also citizens of the larger society, have an incentive to take the
interests of the society as a whole into account. Here I draw on the analysis
in my Rise and Decline of Nations. Consider an organization that, though it
might be large and have many members, is still only a small part of the whole
country or society in question. For the sake of simple arithmetic, I assume an
organization that represents 1 percent of the income-earning capacity of a
country: for example, a labor union whose members' wages are in the aggregate 1
percent of the country's national income, or a trade association of firms that
together earn 1 percent of the national income.

Organizations of this kind are relatively less important in Sweden, where there
are also what I have called "encompassing" organizations, like the LO and the
employers' federation, representing constituents that in the aggregate earn a
significant percentage of the Swedish GDP and thus have a large stake in the
society. I will deal with this special feature of the Swedish organization
scene later, but the analysis of "narrow" coalitions that represent only a tiny
part of a nation's income-earning capacity is nonetheless important here. It is
important partly because the logic of these narrow coalitions to some degree
also applies, in a more complex way, in Sweden,1 and also

1 The reasons why this is so are set out in my "Appreciation of the Tests and
Criticisms" in Scandinavian Political Studies (Spring 1986).

43

because these narrow coalitions have a decisive influence on the economic
performance of most of the countries with which Sweden is being compared.

One logical possibility is that organized interests will use their capacity to
make the society in which their constituents are located more efficient and
prosperous. In general, being part of a rich society is better than being part
of a poor one. A lobbying organization could, for example, lobby for measures
that would make the society in which its members live and work more productive
and successful. Would an organization for collective action that represents
only, say, 1 percent of the society have an incentive to do this?

An organization that represents 1 percent of the society would get, on average,
only 1 percent of the benefits from making its society more productive. If the
national income of a country increases because it lobbies for more efficient
public policies, the clients of the organization will get, on average, 1
percent of the increase in the national income. Those members, however, will
have borne the whole cost of whatever lobbying they have done to improve the
efficiency of the economy. If they get 1 percent of the benefits of their
action and bear the whole cost of their action, then trying to make the society
more efficient and prosperous will pay off for them only if the benefits of
that action to the society as a whole exceed the costs of that action by a
hundred times or more. Only if the cost-benefit ratio is better than 100 to 1
will the organization for collective action best serve its members by acting to
make the society more efficient and prosperous.

How then can a special-interest group representing only a tiny part of a
society best help its clients? If a larger slice of the pie that society
produces can be obtained for the members of a special-interest organization,
then the members of this organization will have this larger slice of the pie.
Less metaphorically, if a larger percentage of the national output or national
income that is produced in a country can be redistributed to the members of a
special-interest group, then these members will have that larger share of the
national income.

But the reader may now ask, "Won't lobbying for favors from government or
combination in the marketplace to obtain monopolistic prices or wages make the
economy less efficient and productive? And won't the members of the
special-interest group bear part of the reduction in the national income that
comes from the inefficiencies brought about by their effort to capture a larger
proportion of the national income?" The answer, in most cases, is, "Yes."
Cartelization will usually reduce the efficiency and prosperity of the society.
Because a combination or cartel will produce and sell less and charge more, the
society will normally be less efficient. Special-interest lobbying will
similarly induce resources to go into the particular areas that are favored by
the lobby-inspired legislation; resources will crowd into these areas until
their contribution to the national income - their marginal social product - is
lower than it would have been in other areas and the efficiency of the economy
will thereby typically

44

be reduced. So both cartelization and lobbying to get a larger percentage of
the national income will, in most cases, make the society less efficient and
productive.

Remember, however, that our special-interest group represented 1 percent of the
society. Its members bear only 1 percent of the loss in national income or
output that occurs because of the inefficiency its activities bring about, but
they get the whole of the amount redistributed to them. Thus it pays our
hypothetical special-interest group to seek to redistribute income to its own
members even if this redistribution reduces the national income by up to 100
times the amount redistributed! Therefore, organizations that represent only a
minute percentage of an economy's income-earning capacity are really
"distributional coalitions" - coalitions that strive to redistribute more of
the society's income to themselves, rather than to produce anything.

Will Coalitions Seek Unconditional Cash Transfers?

We know from Chapter 3 that unconditional cash transfers tend to have lower
social costs than conditional subsidies: the conditions, such as continued
production of some product in order to receive the subsidy (which may be in the
form of a higher price for that product), distort the allocation of resources.
By contrast, those who receive an unconditional cash subsidy have an incentive
to allocate their resources to the most productive uses. Unless they obtain
unconditional cash transfers that they will continue to receive even if they
move into entirely different lines of activity, the coalitions' constituencies
will get only a part (and often only a small part) of what society gives up.

Gary Becker emphasized that the political resistance to a redistribution will
be greater the more the rest of society loses from it. Unconditional cash
transfers would obviously be worth more to recipients than equal-sized
redistributions with strings attached. If it were really true that
unconditional cash transfers not only were less costly to the rest of society,
but also had to overcome less political resistance, then it would follow that
distributional coalitions would always demand unconditional cash transfers.

But they do not. Indeed, the redistributions that coalitions seek are almost
never unconditional cash transfers. They are usually protective tariffs or
quotas, monopoly prices or wages, price supports, regulations that restrict
entry and competition, and subsidies for those in particular industries,
regions, or occupations, or for those who use particular inputs. Physicians are
not subsidized by cash grants that they receive even if they no longer practice
medicine; unionized workers are not given government checks that they continue
to get even if they retire or become entrepreneurs.

Typically, the redistributions sought by organized interests are, if possible,
not directly from the government budget. Those who benefit from protection or
monopoly do not want the tariffs or monopoly privileges replaced by checks
drawn on the national treasury. When open subsidies from the treasury are the
only attainable form of redistribution, they are almost always conditional on
continued participation in some

45

industry or activity; the subsidies to money-losing industries are available
only to the firms and workers who stay in the losing industry, agricultural
subsidies go only to those who continue to farm, and money-losing national
airlines keep getting subsidies only so long as they fly.

To see why the redistributions sought by organized interests are virtually
never the unconditional cash transfers that would be the least costly
redistributions for the society, we need to return to the earlier analysis of
the bias of collective action. We saw that it followed from the logic of
collective action that those who could organize for lobbying, collusion, and
cartelization were those with small numbers (such as the large firms in
concentrated and protected manufacturing industries) or those with access to
selective incentives (such as members of professions and workers already
established in jobs). Though in a long-stable society some groups of
below-average income will be organized for collective action, the overall
pattern of collective action will favor more prosperous and better established
interests; it will not include groups like the unemployed and the poor.

The organized groups that are never poor (but often relatively well-off)
usually cannot obtain redistributions by appealing to the egalitarian moral
sentiments of the electorate. Naturally enough, the typical voter does not want
to have his or her own standard of living lowered solely for the purpose of
transferring income to someone else who is already as well off, or better off,
than the voter. Accordingly, most organized groups cannot further their
interests by appealing on grounds of need for explicit redistributions to
themselves. Each narrow distributional coalition also represents a small
minority of the electorate, and therefore does not have votes enough to pass an
explicit redistribution to itself.

So how can an organized group that cannot qualify for explicit redistribution
on egalitarian grounds, and cannot hope to outvote the majority that would lose
from redistributions to it, obtain any redistributions?

Rational Ignorance Makes Implicit Redistributions Possible

A distributional coalition can usually obtain redistributions by exploiting the
rational ignorance of the electorate. Lobbying and special interest pressure
usually succeeds, and cartelization and collusion are typically tolerated,
mainly because of rational ignorance. If voters were fully informed, they would
not be swayed by the publicity or advertising stemming from organized interests
and they would replace any representatives who were serving interests other
than those of the voters. They would also not allow those who sell them goods
and services to raise prices and wages through cartelization. In reality, the
average citizen's knowledge is extremely limited; survey data in the United
States reveal that about half of the electorate do not know the name of their
congressman in the House of Representatives, much less what help he has given
organized interests to obtain

46

campaign contributions. Diverse forms of public relations, advertising, and
political indoctrination play large roles in forming public opinion.

In the real world organized interests have vast opportunities to persuade
voters to accept what are, in fact, implicit redistributions to those organized
interests, as long as these redistributions are designed in such a way that the
rationally ignorant can be persuaded that the society as a whole gains, or are
so inconspicuous or indirect that a majority of the electorate is not aware of
them. A policy that can be made to appear, in a newspaper advertisement or a
thirty-second television commercial, to have different beneficiaries than it
actually has, can be successful. It does not matter much whether lengthy
research would show that a policy was contrary to the interests of most voters,
because it is not in the typical voter's interest to undertake such research,
and any research done by those with a professional interest in the matter will
not have a great political effect unless substantial resources are available to
publicize the results. These resources may be available when two or more
organized interests have opposing interests, but the difficulties of collective
action ensure that many organized interests will not be countervailed.

As would be expected from the argument here, manufacturing firms ask for
protection against imports, or investment incentives, or tax loopholes that
will "strengthen or protect the national economy," or they inconspicuously
raise prices through collusion. Physicians seek to keep out "unqualified" new
doctors, to prevent competitive ("unethical") behavior, and lobby for
government and insurance spending that insures "good quality care for the
public." Lawyers seek to ensure that citizens have more rights to sue and get
"justice" (with the paid counsel of lawyers) in the courts. Large farmers argue
that the nation should not be dependent on foreign food supplies and thereby
obtain tariffs or quotas, or they argue that the poorer farmer cannot live
decently unless there are price supports, even though, in fact, the higher
prices go mainly to the larger farmers who produce the most. Skilled workers
established in an industry may speak in the name of the whole working class,
yet use their cartelistic power to obtain a wage at which it does not pay the
employers to hire the part of the working class that is unemployed. Virtually
all organized groups seek privileges that they can persuade the public are
beneficial to society as a whole; professors, for example, emphasize the value
to society of academic freedom that tenure for themselves is supposed to
provide, not the opportunity for sloth and neglect of students that their
extreme job security makes possible.

The Implicit Redistributions that Rational Ignorance Permits are Almost Never
Efficient Redistributions

The redistributions that can be made to appear to serve the interests of the
society as a whole, or that are so inconspicuous and indirect that most voters
don't notice them,

47

obviously cannot be unconditional checks from the treasury. It is obvious who
gains from an unconditional cash subsidy and the costs to the treasury and the
taxpayers from such straightforward subsidies are conspicuous and easily
distinguished. To appear to serve the interests of the society as a whole, the
implicit redistribution must promote some type of production or activity that
rationally ignorant voters can be persuaded is advantageous to the nation.
Unfortunately, the very fact that an implicit redistribution is easier to
obtain if it encourages some industry usually increases its social costs. Such
redistributions normally expand some industry or activity beyond the socially
efficient level, and thereby impose a cost to the society as a whole that is
distinct from the redistribution itself. Inconspicuous redistributions are
often also more costly to society than conspicuous ones: the costs that are not
noticed are less likely to be minimized.

Tariffs and quotas are exceptionally apt devices for implicit redistribution.
They protect a domestic industry and it is usually relatively easy to persuade
voters that this also protects or strengthens the economy as a whole. The
rationally ignorant have no reason to think about the implicit discouragement
that protection of a given industry entails for other, unprotected industries
that must compete with the protected industry for resources or export in the
face of a higher exchange rate for the national currency, much less any reason
to master the demanding literature on the deadweight losses that are often
involved. Regulation that limits competition and entry is also an admirable
device for implicit redistribution. The rationally ignorant normally take it
for granted that the regulation favors the consumers and the public rather than
the firms that are regulated and have no reason to go into the logic showing
why the regulated firms are normally organized for collective action to
influence the regulatory process and why the consumers and the public normally
are not. The regulation can also be appealingly described as something that
assures "orderly markets" and prevents "destructive competition," and thus made
to appear favorable to economic progress. By contrast, the losses to the firms
that would have entered the industry in the absence of regulation and the
higher costs the regulation usually imposes on consumers are relatively subtle
and difficult to identify. So are the ways in which regulation often slows down
innovation by complicating decision-making. Similarly, cartelization and
collusion are also well-suited for implicit redistribution. They can be
defended as efforts to promote cooperation against foreign competition, as
devices that insure "orderly markets," and as self-help efforts that do not
impose costs upon taxpayers. Since prices and wages change from time to time in
any case, the costs to consumers of the higher prices and wages that collusion
and cartelization bring about are not usually evident to the casual observer.

In general, the most expedient devices for implicit redistribution are those
that do not rely principally on the government budget. Usually any
redistribution through the government budget, even if it is not an
unconditional cash transfer, is easier to identify than a change in prices or
wages that arises because of protection, regulation, or cartelization. The
changes in prices and wages arising from redistributions that bypass the public
treasury normally entail deadweight losses and usually are tied up with
regulations and agreements that slow down innovation, but the redistributions
that result

48

from these price and wage changes are normally less conspicuous than
governmental subsidies. The fact that redistributions through the public
treasury are a poor choice for an organized interest partly explains why the
sizes of the public sectors of countries are not well correlated with their
economic performance.

Although all continuing redistributions by any feasible method entail some
deadweight losses, the implicit redistributions that nonpoor organized
interests have an incentive to seek are those that are the least
straightforward or the least conspicuous, not those that have the lowest social
cost. If it is proposed that a socially costly implicit redistribution to an
organized interest be replaced by a less costly but more nearly transparent
redistribution, the organized interest will normally object, because it is
likely to lose the redistribution altogether if it becomes transparent.
Therefore, industries that enjoy tariff or quota protection, for example,
almost always oppose replacing this protection with open governmental
transfers. Monopolies and cartels similarly do not want to give up their status
in return for government checks.

Accordingly, we see that the theory of efficient redistribution is not true for
implicit redistributions. It would probably be true, if other things were
equal, that redistributions with a higher social cost would be at a political
disadvantage. But other things are not equal - rational ignorance entails that
the least straightforward and the least conspicuous methods of redistribution
be chosen. There is no reason whatever to suppose that the redistributions
chosen to meet these criteria will have the lowest social costs. Because of the
conditionality inherent in redistributions that achieve their objectives by
altering relative prices or reducing the degree of competition, devious
redistributions will often have vastly higher social costs than unconditional
and transparent subventions.

The opacity of implicit redistributions unfortunately also entails that there
is no necessity that they should be curtailed just because their social costs
become very high - these costs need not be perceived, much less measured, by a
rationally ignorant electorate. Many empirical studies confirm the conclusion
that we have arrived at by abstract argument: there are many real world
examples of implicit redistributions with social costs that are large multiples
of the increase in the net incomes of the beneficiaries.

Thus, contrary to one school of thought, there is no tendency for bargaining
over public policy among the groups in a society to continue until joint gains
are maximized and Pareto-efficiency is achieved. Some groups are not organized
to bargain and some of the social losses are not even perceived by some large
groups of losers.

So this is not, alas, the best of all possible worlds, nor even the most
efficient. It contains many societies in which rational ignorance can regularly
be exploited by narrow distributional coalitions composed of nonpoor insider
interests. Such societies are, as I have said before, like china shops filled
with wrestlers battling over the china - and breaking far more than they carry
away.

49

Aggregate Evidence on the Inefficiency of Implicit Redistributions

Many quantitative studies have shown that particular government programs or
protective tariffs or other implicit redistributions have social costs that are
very large, even in relation to the amount redistributed. Critics may
understandable object that these particular cases are unrepresentative; the
studies may even have attracted economists' attention because the social costs
were so high. There is, therefore, also a need for evidence about how well
societies with high levels of implicit redistribution perform in comparison
with other societies. If we can explain variations in growth rates and income
levels across countries and regions - and especially variations that other
theories cannot explain - with the aid of the type analysis of implicit
redistribution by organizations for collective action that has been offered
above, then that is strong evidence that implicit redistributions often really
are inefficient. The theory of efficient redistribution already suffers because
it cannot explain differences in economic performance across countries, and if
a theory that explains poor economic performance as due to high social costs of
redistribution is successful, then the theory of efficient redistribution is in
real trouble.

Although I did not deal explicitly with the theory of efficient redistribution
in The Rise and Decline of Nations, I did show there that all of the really
remarkable examples of economic growth and stagnation since the Middle Ages
could be explained in large part by the density of narrow coalitions for
collective action. Thus the evidence in that book is also telling evidence
against the theory of efficient redistribution. For the benefit of readers who
do not know that book, I shall refer to a couple of the most dramatic pieces of
evidence in it. Then I shall show that the new evidence about international
trade in Chapter 2 is also aptly explained by the argument that we have just
been through.

The argument in Rise and Decline predicts that long-stable societies have more
groups that have been able to overcome the difficulties of collective action
than lately unstable societies, and that the redistributions that narrow
organizations for collective action have an incentive to seek normally have
high social costs. The long-stable societies with many narrow distributional
coalitions should therefore be less efficient and (for reasons spelled out in
Rise and Decline) also less dynamic than otherwise comparable societies.

A great deal of evidence suggests that this is indeed the case. The society
that has had the longest period of stability and immunity from invasion and
institutional destruction is Great Britain. And Great Britain in the twentieth
century, as the theory predicts, has the poorest economic performance of all of
the major developed democracies. One of the smaller developed democracies,
Ireland, has suffered from an even poorer economic performance, but Ireland has
also never had its coalitions destroyed by upheaval and (by a process that will
be described later in this chapter) it accumulated distributional coalitions at
an exceptionally rapid rate during the long period when it had extremely high
protection of manufactures.

50

The theory also has clear implications for the Axis nations defeated in World
War

II. In Germany and Japan, and to a lesser extent in Italy, the repressive
dictatorial governments and the allied occupations after the war eliminated
most of the distributional coalitions. A few such organizations were created
during or shortly after the allied occupations, but most of these were
"encompassing" organizations. The theory that has been outlined implies that,
after a free and stable legal order had been established, those societies
should have grown surprisingly rapidly. And, as everyone knows, they enjoyed
"economic miracles." With appropriate elaboration, the aforementioned theory
also explains the general pattern of regional growth in the United States since
World War II.2

The Salience of the Evidence in Chapter 2

We found earlier that it is inherent in the logic of collective action that
small groups, such as the small number of firms in a concentrated industry,
have less difficulty acting in their common interest than large groups. If a
country (and especially a smaller country) protects its manufacturing industry
from foreign competition, then often only a few firms will need to collude to
fix prices in a given line of industry. A small number of firms in a
concentrated industry will usually be able to fix prices without help from the
government, but in any event their small numbers will ease the formation of a
lobby to get governmental help in enforcing the price fixing. Collective action
among the few firms that produce a given manufactured good is accordingly
fairly common, even in politically unstable environments. Any effective
price-fixing agreements in manufacturing that work for any length of time need
to include some specifications or understandings about the definition and
quality of the manufactured product whose price is being fixed, since
individual firms can profit by getting a larger share of the cartelized market
through subtle price reductions in the form of free add-ons and extra quality.
In the long run, this usually means more complex agreements and regulations
that slow down the rate of innovation.

If, by contrast, a country is completely open to foreign manufactures, then
normally all of the firms in the world producing the relevant manufactured good
will need to combine if prices are to be fixed. There are so many different
manufacturing firms in diverse countries around the world, and the difficulties
of coordinating their behavior across many national, cultural, and linguistic
borders are so great, that successful worldwide cartelization of manufactures
is rare. Since there is no world government, we can be certain that no
government will be using its coercive power to enforce a world wide cartel
agreement or responding to any lobbying for world wide

2 "The South Will Fall Again: The South as Leader and Laggard in Economic
Growth," Southern Economic Journal, 49 (April 1983), pp. 917-32.

51

special-interest legislation.

Collusive price fixing among the manufacturing firms in each industry is
accordingly more likely in countries (and especially small countries) with
protection than in those with open markets.

If the manufacturing firms in a country are protected against foreign
competition, they do not need to worry that their costs of production will
become higher than those in other countries. If the workers are cartelized in
the protected industry, they do not need to worry about wage demands that make
production more costly than elsewhere. In countries with free trade in
manufacturing, by contrast, unions are often severely constrained in the extent
to which they can exploit their monopoly over the supply of the relevant labor
by the competition of foreign firms. Although unionization takes longer to
develop than collusion among manufacturing firms and is in some unstable
societies obstructed by periods of repression, some countries that protect
manufacturing have cartelized wage levels in the protected industries that are
far above the levels that would be sustainable without the protection. So
protectionism of manufactures not only leads to collusion among the protected
manufacturing firms, but often in due course also to a sky-is-the-limit
monopoly wage setting that can have no counterpart in manufacturing industries
having to meet international competition. These unrestrained wage levels are
sustainable only if there are work rules that keep employers from upgrading new
and unskilled labor to replace the workers with the wages that are farthest
above competitive levels. Such work rules make industrial life much more
complex and legalistic and thereby reduce innovation.

In making any manufactured good of any complexity, many different components
and resources - sometimes thousands of different inputs - are needed. If each
of these can be purchased without hindrance in whichever part of the world
offers the best value, manufactured goods of better quality or lower price can
be produced. In the protectionist country, some of the components and inputs
that are needed will be more expensive and harder to get because they are
themselves subject to protection. If protection takes the form of quotas and
exchange control, this problem can make it impossible for a manufacturer,
especially one in a smaller country, to be competitive on the world market in
the production of any complex manufactured product.

And, as we saw in Chapter 2, none of the highly protectionist smaller countries
were able to sell much in the way of manufactures on competitive international
markets, whereas those smaller manufacturing countries with relatively low
protection of manufactures (such as Sweden) could. The conceptual framework
that has been offered here is certainly consistent with (and I believe in large
part explains) the extraordinarily strong association between the openness of
smaller countries to imports of manufactures and their success in developing
competitive manufacturing industries. Small countries with high protection of
manufactures find, as collective action builds up behind their tariff barriers,
that they suffer from pervasive and almost limitless implicit redistribution in
manufacturing, and become so inefficient that they cannot sell manufactured
goods in competitive world markets.

52

These results also bear upon some recent developments in the theory of
international trade. As we recall from Chapter 2, these recent developments
suggested that, when there is imperfect competition and economies of scale, a
country can sometimes best serve its economic interests through protection of
manufactures. Though the results here do not call the logic of the new models
into question, they do suggest that these models have only a very limited
pertinence for public policy. Imperfect competition and decreasing costs are
most significant in manufacturing in smaller countries, and it is exactly those
conditions that have been considered in this book. The results here suggest
that it is precisely when decreasing costs and imperfect competition are
conspicuous that protection will be especially damaging, since in these
conditions protection especially reduces the number of producers that must act
collectively in order to collude and cartelize. The failure of the small
countries with high protection of manufactures to be able to export
manufactures suggests that the damage done by the collective action that the
protection facilitates is of much greater significance than the static gains
the countries could sometimes receive from protection of manufactures in some
cases where there are decreasing costs and imperfect competition.

Sudden Increases in the Size of the Market and the Polity that Determines Trade
Policy

We also saw in Chapter 2 a dramatic tendency for rapid economic development
when a great expansion in the size of the market occurred through national
unification or through the creation of a common market. Why would this
"jurisdictional integration" be so strongly correlated with economic
development?

If the difficulties of collective action ensure that it emerges only slowly,
and if narrowly-based distributional coalitions obtain implicit socially costly
redistributions to themselves, then we can see why jurisdictional integration
generates rapid economic development. The creation of a much bigger market and
of a bigger jurisdiction for determining trade policy will undercut most of the
existing distributional coalitions. It takes some time before new ones form, so
there is exceptionally rapid economic growth for a time.

Consider a small protected market like a medieval town with its own walls and
economic policies. Suppose that suddenly the protection in the small
jurisdiction is eliminated because there is national unification or the
creation of a common market. Then the organizations for collective action - the
guilds that have profited from the use of their cartelistic powers and lobbying
powers - will find that after jurisdictional integration their customers can
purchase from other suppliers in other towns, or in the suburbs, or in the
countryside. Suddenly, because of the creation of a wider market, the guilds
have lost their monopoly power. Since the jurisdictional integration creates a
much larger jurisdiction, it also requires lobbying on a far larger scale, so
the

53

organizations that were of a size suitable to lobby the town will usually not
be strong enough to influence the new governmental unit.

So the theory predicts that the extent of damage done by organizations for
collective action will be much smaller than usual after there has been a big
freeing of trade, whether through national unification, a common market, or
unilateral freeing of trade.

Organizations for collective action will eventually emerge again on a scale
sufficient for lobbying or cartelizing the larger jurisdiction and the larger
markets that have been created. But if my argument is right, it takes quite
some time to overcome the difficulties of collective action, at least when the
groups in question are large ones. Thus for a time there can be unusually rapid
growth.

As the theory predicts, there was unusually rapid growth after the creation of
the EEC, after the German Zollverein, after the Meiji Revolution, after the
Dutch rebellion against the Spanish, and after the national unifications in
England and the United States. Although the timing of the economic growth
certainly is consistent with the theory, this correlation is not, of course,
necessarily sufficient to establish causation.

Happily, various special features of the pattern of growth offer striking
support for the argument. If we look, for example, at England in the early
modern period, we find that the main form of manufacturing was textile
manufacturing and that, after jurisdictional integration, it came to be handled
under the merchant-employer or "putting-out" system. Manufacturing was not done
mainly in the cities where the guilds, the distributional coalitions of the
times, held sway, but rather in the scattered cottages of the countryside.
Merchants went out to the countryside to contract with cottagers to have wool
spun into yarn or yarn woven into cloth. This system was expensive both in
terms of transportation costs and transactions costs, but it was nonetheless
cheaper than production under guild rules in the old towns. In addition, much
of the economic growth was concentrated in new towns or in suburbs where guilds
did not exist. When the bigger national markets were created, firms could
produce wherever they found costs were lowest, and costs were lower in places
that were not under the control of guilds.

Both the striking association in smaller countries between relatively low
levels of protection of manufactures and success in developing a competitive
manufacturing industry and the clear association between increases in the size
of the market through jurisdictional integration and economic development fit
neatly into the pattern predicted by the theory offered here. Both lead to less
implicit redistribution.

Chapter 6: The Lower Costs and Ultimate Limits of Explicit Redistribution

The evidence presented in Chapter 2 revealed a remarkably clear and strong
pattern. Among the 41 less developed countries studied by the World Bank, there
was a regular tendency for the outward-looking countries to perform better than
the inward-looking or protectionist countries. The large number of
internationally successful industries studied by Michael Porter and his
associates were systematically industries that had not been significantly
subsidized or protected from either international or domestic competition. Most
strikingly, in all smaller countries on which data were available, high
protection of manufactures was strongly associated with the failure to export
significant manufactures on competitive world markets. In addition, great
increases in the size of a trading area and in the jurisdiction that determines
trading policy were also regularly associated with great accelerations in
economic development. The evidence on protectionism and jurisdictional
integration was so overwhelming that some fairly strong conclusions could be
drawn whether or not all of the other variables relevant to industrial
development have been included in the analysis: the evidence was a bit like
that on plane crashes whose adverse impact on the longevity of the victims is
clear even without taking into account the many other variables that affect
life expectancy.

This makes it all the more puzzling why the national-level evidence presented
in Chapter 1 did not show any strong relationship in either direction between
sizes of the governments or the extent of transfers to low-income people and
economic growth. Because of what we know from observing what happens in
individual markets, we should expect that properly specified statistical tests
would show that an unusually large and growing welfare state would make a
country's rate of economic growth (though by no means necessarily its level of
utility or welfare) measurably lower than it would otherwise be. Yet from the
fixation in ideological debates - and even from some leading

55

economists' contributions to these debates - we have been led to expect that
the extent of transfers to low-income people and the size of the welfare state
were of decisive significance for the fate of nations: many people obviously
take it for granted that transfers to low-income people are so overwhelmingly
important for economic growth and human welfare that their impacts would be
clear even in analyses that neglect other relevant variables. But the effects
of transfers and the size of the welfare state on economic growth are evidently
not colossal enough so that, like the effects of plane crashes on longevity,
they overwhelm other factors. So we must ask why hasn't the adverse effect of a
larger welfare state on economic performance been strong enough to overwhelm
all other factors and thus to produce a striking pattern in the cross-national
and historical comparisons reported in Chapter 1?

The conceptual framework presented in the last three chapters suggests a
possible answer. These chapters have shown that there are powerful incentives
for organized groups to seek implicit redistributions and preferably implicit
redistributions that achieve their objectives by altering relative prices
rather than through the government budget. The indirect and concealed character
of these redistributions - and the high degree of conditionality that is needed
to conceal their redistributional purposes - usually makes them more costly to
society.

If the argument that has been offered so far in this book is correct, there is
no reason why the amount of redistribution to low-income people, and even the
share of the government in GDP, should be closely correlated with the total
social costs of

redistribution. It is true, as critics of large welfare states say, that
redistributions generate deadweight losses, but it is wrong to jump to the
conclusion that the countries that have the largest amount of explicit
redistribution to low-income people, or the largest share of the government
disbursements in GDP, lose the most from redistribution. Countries in which
less is transferred to the poor and in which the government is smaller can
easily lose more from redistribution than the countries with the largest
welfare states do. That is probably the main reasons why, as we saw in Chapter
l, there was no strong correlation, either for the developed democracies or for
all noncommunist economies, between the relative size of the public sector and
the rate of economic growth.

The main purpose of this study is, as the subtitle indicates, to ask some
questions about Sweden. So what does the intellectual framework developed in
the last three chapters tell us about Sweden?

As we try to answer this question, it is important to keep in mind that there
is no lack of implicit redistributions in Sweden (and in the other countries
with the most generous welfare states). The argument in the prior chapter that
there are often large losses from implicit redistribution is, I believe,
definitely applicable to Sweden.

But is Sweden the country that loses the most from implicit redistributions? Or
even one of the countries that loses the most? I doubt it. We must postpone any
final answer until there is further research - the main purpose of this study
is to generate new questions. Yet I find it hard to imagine that anyone would
argue Sweden was unique in the extent and costliness of its implicit
redistributions. I have found it more difficult to

56

find examples of strikingly costly implicit redistributions in Sweden than in
most other countries. What reason is there to think that Sweden would be losing
more from implicit redistributions than other countries? Why would it be losing
relatively more than Argentina? Or Ireland? Or Britain and most of the other
English-speaking countries? Why would it be losing more than the average
country in Western Europe (not to mention those of Eastern Europe and the
developing nations)?

Although we must postpone any final conclusion until the experts on Sweden have
researched the matter, my working hypothesis until then is that Sweden is not
the country that suffers the most from implicit redistribution, nor is it
probably even close to being in this position. I hypothesize that Sweden is
doing as well as it is in comparison to many other countries because its
performance is not dragged down as much by implicit redistribution as that of
some other countries is. The losses from implicit redistribution in the
countries which have the most of it are so large that they more than offset
Sweden's larger losses of measured output because of its relatively large
explicit redistributions to low-income people.

What Limits the Amount of Implicit Redistribution in Sweden?

One major factor that, I believe, keeps down the quantity of implicit
redistribution in Sweden is the country's relatively high resistance to tariff
and quota protection for manufacturers. Certainly Sweden does not lose as much
from implicit redistribution through protection of manufactures as some
countries do. The statistics and the historical evidence in Chapter 2 suggest
that this is a matter of extraordinary quantitative importance. The argument in
Chapter 5 suggests that this relative openness to imports of manufactures also
reduces the amount of implicit redistribution in Sweden's labor market and in
some other factor markets as well.

This raises another interesting question: Why is Sweden somewhat more favorable
to free trade in manufactures than many other countries? It would take far too
long to analyze this question adequately now, so I shall merely refer to some
of the relevant arguments here. Perhaps one factor is the historical accident
that modern Swedish (and Danish and Norwegian) industrial development began in
part through primary product exports in the nineteenth century, especially to
free-trading Britain, which was then about the most prosperous country in the
world. The Scandinavian countries exported dairy products, timber, oats,
shipping services, and iron ore, for example, in the period in which their
catch-up growth began in the nineteenth century. Although I could easily be
wrong, I sense that many modern Scandinavian manufacturing industries began
with the processing or development of primary product exports. Logs were in
time processed into finished lumber, then into paper, and finally into
sophisticated paper products; iron ore exports ultimately turned into exports
of iron, steel, and finally into exports of complex manufactured goods; exports
of dairy products

57

from Scandinavia maybe had something to do with the invention in Sweden of the
cream separator.1 I do not know enough about the matter to draw any final
conclusions, but it would be useful for someone to look into the possibility
that this apparent symbiosis between primary product production for export and
manufacturing, especially in the context of the contemporary British example
and advocacy of free trade, encouraged early Swedish manufacturing interests to
be more favorable to exports and to free trade than they might otherwise have
been.

Probably another factor is the quality and influence of professional economists
over the course of modern Swedish history. Though more of the giants of
economic thought have come from Britain than from Sweden, the Swedish
contributions have been extraordinarily large in relation to the size of the
country - Sweden is, perhaps, the country with the largest per capita
contributions to the subject. Often Swedish economists have also had a
considerable influence on economic policy and on the thinking of the
intellectual class in general.

It might seem that my earlier argument about rational ignorance and the role of
self-interest in political life would rule out any influence of ideas on
economic policy, but that is not the case. As I have argued elsewhere,2 those
with a professional stake in a subject do not find it rational to be ignorant
of that subject. Although intellectuals are as susceptible to self-interest as
other people, their selfish interests are more likely to show up mainly in
those matters in which they have an immediate occupational stake (such as their
own pay and tenure), rather than in the typical public policy issue;
individuals in a variety of social roles are like a judge or a member of a jury
in the sense that their individual self-interest does not bear in any important
way on the matter at hand. So there are some people who have both an incentive
to become informed about a public issue and a reason to look at it in a
public-spirited way, and ideas can exert an influence through them.

Therefore, in spite of my emphasis on the importance of organized vested
interests, I believe that the quality of ideas is also an important determinant
of what policies and institutions a country chooses, and that Swedish economic
performance over the long run has probably been helped by the country's
strength in economics. It appears that public opinion about protectionism, for
example, has been greatly different in Sweden, on the one hand, than in
Argentina, on the other. This difference must be due, in part, to the
difference in the economic professions in the two countries.

1 I examined this issue somewhat less superficially in a talk in Stockholm in
1984 organized by PKbanken.

2 See my paper on "How Ideas Affect Societies" in Ideas, Interests &
Consequences, (London: Institute of Economic Affairs, 1989), and also reprinted
in the LSE Quarterly, 3:4 Winter 1989, pp. 279-304.

58

Encompassing Organizations

Another factor that probably reduces the amount of implicit redistribution in
Sweden is the large role that what I call "encompassing" organizations have
played, at least at times. Suppose that an organization encompasses a large
part of the income-earning capacity of a country; its constituents earn, say,
50 percent of the nation's GDP. Such an organization, if it truly furthers the
interests of its clients, will act very differently from the narrow coalition
considered in Chapter 5 that represented only 1 percent of the income-earning
capacity of a country. If the constituents of the organization get half of the
benefit of anything it does to increase the prosperity of a country, that will
often be enough to give the organization an incentive to do something to make
the country more efficient and innovative. Such an organization, if it
optimally serves its clients, will also not seek any redistributions for its
clients that entail a social loss that is large in relation to the amount
redistributed. If the clients of an organization get half of the Swedish GDP,
they will on average bear half of the social loss from any redistribution to
themselves. Their organization, if it represents them rationally, will then
arrange any redistributions to them in ways that hurt the society as little as
possible, and it will also stop demanding redistribution whenever the social
costs of a redistribution come to be twice as large as the amount that is
redistributed. Unlike the distributional coalitions considered in the Chapter
5, encompassing organizations have an incentive to seek only efficient
redistributions, and bargaining costs between any pair of encompassing
organizations may not be prohibitively high. Thus the theory of efficient
redistribution may, at times, apply to some extent in societies with
encompassing organizations.

Encompassing organizations have been relatively more important in Sweden than
in most other countries. The LO (especially in the 1950s and early 1960s, but
less so now) has represented a large proportion of the whole organized work
force. To some extent, it has been linked with the Social Democratic Party,
which strives to control the government by itself and thereby represent a
majority of the electorate, and is accordingly an encompassing organization.
The Swedish Employers' Federation represents most of the business in the
country and is similarly an encompassing organization. In The Rise and Decline
of Nations, I argued, in a cautious and carefully qualified way, that maybe
some of the economic growth of Sweden and of other countries with encompassing
organizations, such as Austria and Norway, could be attributed to the unusually
encompassing character of their organizations. In subsequent publications, I
have examined the strong forces that, over the long run, can make encompassing
organizations break down, or fail to act in ways that serve their clients'
aggregate interests, and emphasized again the dangers of considering
encompassing organizations as an ideal or reliable solution to the problem of
institutional sclerosis.3 I also urged more research on the matter.

Some extremely interesting research along these lines has in fact been done.
For

3 "An Appreciation of the Tests and Criticisms," Scandinavian Political Studies
(March 1986)

59

example, in independent articles on unemployment and macroeconomic stability,
Lars Calmfors and John Driffill,4 on the one hand, and Bradford DeLong and Lars
Jonung,5 on the other, have found that countries with encompassing
organizations and countries with decentralized, competitive arrangements tended
to have lower unemployment rates than countries with the in-between arrangement
of a dense network of narrow distributional coalitions. While also making other
contributions, these papers greatly extend the theory in Rise and Decline and
they are in general accord with the argument that has been used in this essay.6
Similarly, in another study Bernhard Heitger found that growth rates were also
higher in countries that had encompassing organizations or relatively weak
distributional coalitions and were lower in countries with strong but narrow
distributional coalitions.7

One likely possibility is that, as the Calmfors-Driffill, DeLong-Jonung, and
Bernhard Heitger papers appear to suggest, Sweden is doing as well as it is, in
part, because it has had relatively more encompassing organizations than the
English- speaking countries, for example. I am, however, anxious not to push
this argument too far or to oversell the idea of encompassing organizations.
Thus I hope that any readers who are inclined to think that encompassing
organizations are a reliable solution will examine the extensive argument I
have offered about how encompassing organizations tend to break down over time
or come to be decisively influenced by small subsets or coalitions of their own
membership.8

Factors Lowering the Costs of Explicit Redistributions

While implicit redistributions are much more important and more damaging to
economic performance than has previously been understood, there are also
reasons why explicit

4 In "Centralization and Wage Bargaining," Economic Policy (April 1988), pp.
14-61.

5 In "Hysteresis, the Corridor, and the Political Economy of Unemployment,
1955-1986" (forthcoming). For a fuller analysis of the Calmfors-Driffill and
DeLong-Jonung papers and for a fuller statement and wider tests on how the more
general theory at issue helps explain unemployment and macroeconomic
performance, see Michael Kendix and Mancur Olson, "Changing Unemployment Rates
in Europe and the USA: Institutional Structure and Regional Variation," in
Labour Relations and Economic Performance (London: MacMillan Press Ltd, 1990),
pp. 40-67.

6 In one respect, the technical features of the Calmfors-Driffill model are
somewhat different from the argument in Rise and Decline, since they assume
labor cartelization at the small enterprise level as their decentralized or
competitive polar case, rather than completely competitive arrangements. But in
their model the cartelistic power of workers in these enterprise unions is
sharply limited by the competition from firms producing close substitutes, so
that in fact their argument is, as they point out, similar in spirit to mine.

7 "Corporatism, Technological Gaps, and Growth in OECD Countries,"
Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv (1987).

8 In "An Appreciation..." cited above.

60

redistributions are, sometimes, less damaging to economic performance than
might be supposed at first glance. Some of these reasons are merely the obverse
of the arguments about implicit redistribution, and I shall set them out before
going on to those that are entirely different.

As we saw earlier, there are fundamental reasons why such scattered groups as
the poor are not able to act collectively and they are not organized anywhere.
Public programs for low-income people are, accordingly, not due to lobbying or
other organized action by the recipients of the transfers, but are rather
mainly the result of the sympathy and egalitarian sentiments of the electorate
and the political leaders they have elected. Since popular moral, sympathetic,
and ideological motives mainly inspire income transfers to low-income people,
there is usually no desire to conceal these transfers; political leaders may
even point to them with moral satisfaction. Egalitarian welfare-state transfers
to low-income people (and to the aged, handicapped, and so on) are, therefore,
open transfers out of the public treasury.

This means that redistributions inspired by the moral judgments of the
electorate need not (and often do not) involve any monopolization or
protectionism, such as coalitional redistributions typically entail. Nor do
they entail conditions on government subsidies designed to create the
impression they are intended to serve some broad social purpose - they already
reflect the moral purposes of the electorate. As a result, the extra social
costs of monopolization, of protectionism, and of conditions on government
grants that appear to rationalize them are usually not a serious problem with
redistributions that arise because of the sympathy of the electorate.

There are also totally different reasons why the explicit redistributions
inspired by the moral concern of the citizenry sometimes have lower costs than
implicit redistributions. For one thing, the prototypical morally inspired
redistributions are to the poor, the aged, the ill, the handicapped, and
fatherless children. On average, the recipients of those redistributions
inspired by sympathy are, after all, less productive than those who are well
off -the same traits, such as age or handicaps, that tend to provide
entitlement to welfare-state transfers, usually also imply low productivity.
Some recipients of transfers would not have been working anyway, and transfers
to such people need not have any significant deadweight loss beyond that of the
taxation that is needed to pay for the transfer. In most cases, the people who
are most productive and whose skills and resources are also currently prized in
the society are not, at the same time, poor.

A society can transfer funds to individuals who would not have been working in
any case or to individuals who would, in the absence of welfare payments, be
domestic servants or gardeners, yet remain dynamic and productive. But it
cannot misdirect the energies of its best workers, managers, professionals,
entrepreneurs, or corporations without serious losses. It is mainly the former
that are the objects of the sympathy of the electorate, and mainly the latter
that are able to overcome the difficulties of collective action.

The recipients of transfers inspired by sympathy will, moreover, normally not
be

61

major users of intermediate goods and accessory inputs in the way many
beneficiaries of distributional coalitions are. To obtain an increase in net
income through redistribution of a hundred million crowns, the members of a
coalition will normally have to obtain or carry out a policy that misallocates
intermediate goods and complementary resources, so the firms or workers in an
industry will obtain only a part of any higher prices or other benefits their
organized power brings about. Society may need to spend many times as much as a
hundred million crowns to increase the net income of the organized group by
this amount. By contrast, when there is, through the sympathy of the
electorate, a desire to shift a hundred million crowns to the poor, there need
be no misallocation of intermediate goods and the like, for the poor do not
normally control productive processes that use a lot of accessory resources,
and the transfer to them is likely to be a fairly straightforward transfer.

The limited involvement of the poor in the productive process also means that
aid to them does not have much impact on the innovation that is the main source
of economic growth. As Chapter 5 argued, the regulation and complex agreements
that are associated with implicit redistributions delay innovation and thus
affect the rate of increase of productivity as well as the static allocation of
resources. By contrast, explicit redistributions to low-income people usually
affect only the existing allocation of resources, rather than the processes by
which innovation take place.

Yet another factor tends to make the losses in efficiency and dynamism from
egalitarian-inspired redistribution less than those from redistributions
obtained through the capacity to lobby or to cartelize. Although the matter is
complicated by such factors as the organized power of those who administer
public programs for the poor, there is still a sense in which these explicit
transfers are limited by the preferences of the electorate. These transfers
come out of the public treasury and their magnitude is accordingly known, and
this means that in the long run they cannot be larger than some majority in the
electorate is willing to accept. There is no equivalent constraint on
redistributions whose magnitude and purpose are obscured.

Although rational ignorance always works against efficiency in redistribution,
the theory of efficient redistribution is not so far off the mark for explicit
redistributions. Certainly, Gary Becker's contention that the political
opposition to a redistribution rises as its social costs increases is true for
explicit redistributions. Since the costs of explicit transfers to low-income
people are relatively transparent, we should expect that the opposition to them
should increase as their social costs rise. This appears to have happened in
many countries: as the size and excess burden of the welfare state has
increased, so has the opposition to its growth. It is even possible that the
design of programs to aid poor people will improve over time and that societies
will, as experience and insight accumulates, converge on levels of explicit
transfers that take full account of both the deadweight losses from such
programs and their moral worth.

62

A Recapitulation

Let us recapitulate the argument of this essay and try explicitly to answer the
second question - Why isn't Sweden worse off? My first question, about why
Sweden is not even richer, has a standard answer: that Sweden's unmatched
degree of egalitarianism and its uniquely large public sector impair the
incentives to work, save, and allocate resources to their most productive uses.
There is no standard answer to the second question. Yet we must be cautious
about saying anything very general about the Swedish economy until we have an
answer to the second question.

Although the performance of the Swedish economy looks much less impressive now
than it did at the end of the 1960s, Sweden's per capita income still puts it
in the top group of countries. The Swedish economy has outperformed not only
the underdeveloped and Eastern European economies, but also some economies that
were once ahead of it. Even on the lowest possible estimate of Sweden's
performance, its economy is ahead of Argentina's, Ireland's, and Britain's, but
all these societies have had less egalitarian redistribution and relatively
smaller public sectors than Sweden. The puzzle is heightened by the fact that
there is no very strong tendency for the countries or historical periods with
the largest welfare states to grow more slowly than those with less
redistribution to low-income people.

The only serious and intellectually honest way to tackle the second question is
with a realization that the familiar answer to the first question is largely
true. The reasons for believing that individuals respond to incentives in the
way economists predict - and that tax and subsidy payments as large as those in
Sweden must bring deadweight losses - are compelling. There is further evidence
of the decisive importance of the familiar economic analysis of incentives in
the data and historical information on international trade that was presented
in Chapter 2. This chapter showed that trade in manufactures in smaller
countries provides impressive evidence about the impact of protection: no small
country with really high protection of manufactures has been able to develop an
internationally competitive manufacturing sector. The great quantitative
significance of trade policy is also made clear by the pattern of rapid growth
after there has been a great increase in the size of jurisdictions and trading
areas.

Taken together, the unequivocal data on protectionism and economic performance
and the ambiguous data on the size of the welfare state and growth are
puzzling. Why does the distortion of incentives through trade policy evidently
have so much more quantitative significance than the distortion of incentives
through welfare state redistributions?

At first glance, the theory of "efficient redistribution" might seem to explain
why Sweden and other large welfare states are doing as well as they are. This
theory holds that, if the dead-weight losses from any kind of redistribution
rise, the political opposition to the redistribution will also rise, and
ultimately to the point where further redistribution will cease. The social
losses from redistribution are accordingly usually

63

fairly small. Some versions of the theory of efficient redistribution assume
that the bargaining between the groups with conflicting interests about a
redistribution will continue until the joint gains of the groups in question
are maximized so that the society is fully efficient.

The theory of efficient redistribution as it stands is not satisfactory, in
part because it fails to distinguish between two different types of
redistributions of income. There are not only the explicit redistributions that
are at the center of debates about the welfare state, but also implicit
redistributions. These implicit redistributions occur when a government program
or other collective action changes the distribution of income without
increasing the aggregate real income of the society, but the policy is
rationalized by alleged benefits to the nation as a whole or to groups other
than the group that seeks the redistribution. For example, protectionist
measures or restrictions on competition that are represented as strengthening a
national economy, but actually change the distribution of income in favor of
the group that seeks the protection or restriction of competition, are implicit
redistributions.

The social loss from redistributions of income arises in large part from the
criteria or conditions that are attached to or implicit in them. If an
individual in an efficient economy with competitive markets is given cash with
no strings attached, the incentives of the recipient are not impaired, because
he or she continues to have an incentive to allocate all resources to their
most productive uses. By contrast, a redistribution that is officially
restricted to those in some industry, occupation, or locality - or that takes
the form of a change in relative prices - distorts the incentives facing the
recipients of the redistribution and adds to social costs.

The redistributions that actually occur, and the ways they are carried out in
practice, depend dramatically on "rational ignorance" - the fact that the
typical citizen does not serve his or her interests by spending a lot of time
studying public affairs and therefore is relatively uninformed about public
policy. Rational ignorance makes it possible for an organized interest to
obtain a redistribution that the majority of the electorate would not have
tolerated had it been fully informed. Accordingly, a redistribution that can be
made to appear to be a measure that actually strengthens a society, or that is
so inconspicuous that it is not noticed by the average voter, can be
politically viable, even if the recipients of the redistribution are relatively
well off people who would not have been able to persuade the electorate to give
them a transfer on altruistic grounds.

The capacity for collective action is found mainly in established groups and is
stronger at upper than at lower income levels. This is because collective
action is possible only for groups that have small numbers, like the large
firms in concentrated industries, or have access to "selective incentives" that
are usually available only to insiders and relatively well established gropes.
Those groups at the bottom of society, such as the poor and the unemployed, and
some other groups, such as consumers and taxpayers, are virtually never able to
act collectively.

This implies that most of those groups that have the capacity to act
collectively

64

are not in a position to obtain explicit redistributions on grounds of need.
They must instead use their power to get implicit redistributions. Because of
rational ignorance, they can often get substantial redistributions through
actions and policies that do not appear to be redistributional and that appear
to serve the society as a whole, or are so inconspicuous that they are not
noticed by a rationally ignorant electorate. Organized interests accordingly
prefer redistributions that are not unconditional cash transfers, but rather
embody conditions that make them appear to have a general social purpose.
Ideally, a coalition wants policies that change relative prices in its favor,
and that do not involve cash transfers from the government budget. Coalitions
that represent only a tiny part of the income-earning capacity of a society
have an incentive to seek such redistributions even if the social costs are
large multiples of the amount they win in the distributional struggle.

The fact that many groups are not able to organize for collective action means
that in most cases the losers from redistributions are not able to act
collectively. It follows that there is usually little or no bargaining among
gainers and losers from redistributions and thus little or no tendency for
bargaining to reduce the social costs of redistribution. This factor, and the
incentive for organized groups to choose untransparent and inherently
conditional redistributions with relatively high social costs, means that the
theory of efficient redistributions is wrong for implicit redistributions.

Societies with a high density of narrow distributional coalitions have lower
income levels and growth rates than would otherwise be expected. Small
countries with high protection of manufactures have particularly high levels of
implicit redistribution, since the concentrated industries behind protectionist
barriers are able to fix prices with relative ease. Cartelized labor forces in
these industries can also organize redistributions to themselves with
relatively little constraint. This helps to explain the strong findings on
international trade in Chapter 2. The aforementioned facts, along with a number
of quantitative studies of the social costs of particular implicit
redistributions that have been done by other economists, support the theory
offered in this book.

Although Sweden undoubtedly loses a good deal from implicit redistribution,
there are many reasons for thinking that it probably does not lose as much from
this as some other countries do. Sweden's relatively low level of protection of
manufactures, its relatively high level of economic understanding, and its
"encompassing" organizations suggest that implicit redistributions may not
escape social control quite so much in Sweden as in some other countries.

Usually, implicit redistributions delay innovations more and have higher
overall social costs than explicit redistributions. This is partly because
implicit redistributions exploit rational ignorance and cannot be transparent,
and therefore entail conditions or criteria that restrict the redistribution to
those in some industry or activity, which in turn distort the allocation of
resources. The lack of transparency of implicit redistributions also means that
they are less likely than explicit redistributions to be curtailed when their
social costs get out of hand. In contrast, altruistically motivated explicit
redistributions often involve some special factors that limit their social
costs: the recipients are

65

generally not the most productive people in the society, so the misallocation
of their time involves less social loss; they normally do not control any
significant resource beyond their own time, so intermediate goods and auxiliary
factors are usually not misallocated; their limited involvement in the
productive process implies that the aid to them does not normally affect the
rate of innovation, which is the main determinant of the rate of economic
growth.

Although a final answer to the second question must await further research, I
propose a tentative answer designed to stimulate the thinking and research of
those who know much more than I do about Sweden. Sweden may well lose somewhat
more from explicit redistribution than most other countries, but explicit
redistribution does not have nearly as much importance for economic performance
as might be supposed from the ideological debates. At least in many countries,
implicit redistribution is a more important influence on the economy. While
Sweden's losses from implicit redistribution are no doubt substantial, there is
no reason to suppose they are as high as in some other countries. Since the
social losses from implicit redistributions are often much greater than those
from explicit redistributions, the economies that have exceptionally high
levels of implicit redistribution perform relatively badly. Sweden is therefore
able, in spite of its high level of explicit redistribution, to surpass or at
least match these countries. As I see it, that is probably why Sweden is not,
relatively speaking, worse off.

An auxiliary finding of the argument here is that a society can, if it has good
policies generally and avoids redistributions that have no moral justification,
provide decently for its poor, yet also be a dynamic and prosperous society.

Too Much of A Good Thing is Bad: Nonlinearities and Lags

I am very concerned that my argument should be balanced, fair-minded, and
useful to thoughtful people of all political persuasions. Thus I am worried
about the possibility that the argument in this book will be pushed too far.
This danger can be seen most starkly by imagining that the moral concern for
those of below-average income were to go to the point that each person with a
below-average income would be given a transfer sufficient to bring him or her
to the average level of income. If no one has a below- average income, no one
can have an above-average income either: this would imply a system of taxes and
transfers that would eliminate all inequality of incomes. And this, of course,
would eliminate all incentive to earn income.

This extreme case is useful in reminding us that the social loss from
redistributions of income inspired by egalitarian motives is strikingly
dependent on how much income is redistributed. The arguments and evidence
earlier in this essay indicate that an open, competitive society can do a great
deal to alleviate the misfortunes of the poor without losing its dynamism. The
sclerosis in the Western societies is mainly not the result of efforts to
relieve destitution, but rather of other causes.

66

Yet, after some point, additional egalitarian redistribution must bring
disproportionately large costs to society. When transfers are sufficiently
large, taxes must be so high that their excess burdens and their adverse
effects on risk-taking and innovation are overwhelming. Moreover, the condition
inherent in egalitarian redistribution - that the recipient lose entitlement to
the transfer if he or she succeeds in earning a good income - ensures that the
social costs of the distribution of the transfers must rise nonlinearly when
redistribution comes close to the point of eliminating all inequalities. There
need be virtually no loss of dynamism in a society from helping the poorest 5
percent: their misfortunes and disabilities would have limited the extent of
their production and innovation in any case, and (if other things are right)
there will be a cornucopia of output from the remaining 95 percent. But if a
society tries through transfers to bring even those who are 5 percent below the
average income closer to the average, all incomes must be about the same and
nearly all of the incentive to produce and innovate will have been taken away.
As society enters anything resembling this latter range, increased transfers
must lead to wildly disproportionate losses of efficiency and innovation.

Earlier in this book I presented some merely illustrative data to warn readers
against the commonplace assumption that the large growth of the welfare state
overwhelms other factors influencing economic performance. Lest data that were
offered to motivate inquiry be interpreted recklessly or in a one-sided way, I
present some further data that point in the opposite direction in Figure 4 and
Table 5. From the figures on the size of government and economic growth in the
last few years, it appears that the countries with larger public sectors have
tended to grow more slowly than those with smaller public sectors. These
further data, coming as they do from only a few years and being insufficient in
other ways as well, establish nothing, but they do raise a useful question.
They alert us to the possibility that redistribution could be having greater
social costs in more recent times, when it has been pushed a good bit farther
than in the 1950s and early 1960s.

What about the egalitarian redistributions in Sweden today? Are they more or
less explained by my earlier argument, showing that egalitarian redistributions
can have social costs that are fairly small, especially in comparison to those
arising from the redistributions obtained by well-established and relatively
well-off organized interests? Or have they risen into the range where the
social costs are absurdly disproportionate?

This is a not a question that can be answered from afar, and it is in any case
a matter for Swedes to decide. Moreover, to answer this question correctly one
would have to go into many important aspects of the matter that I have not even
touched on here. In general, these other aspects of the matter are dealt with
very well in the impressive Swedish literature on the welfare state, so there
was no reason for me to go into them here. The purpose of the present essay is
not to settle ancient controversies or to summarize the existing literature,
but rather to introduce some fresh perspectives that may enable people with a
detailed knowledge of Sweden to get a better view of both sides of the matter.

67

Figure 4

Given the nonlinearity that has been described, we can also see why the
argument about time lags discussed earlier in this essay was too simple. We can
be reasonably certain that most of the adverse effects of the levels of
egalitarian redistribution in Sweden in the 1930s or 1950s have already been
felt. But it is too early to know what the full effects of the higher
redistributions of the late 1970s and the 1980s will be.

68

Table 5: Average Government Size and GDP Growth, 1980-87 (percent)

Annual GDP Growth
Government consumption
Social Security Transfers
Government Expenditure
Current Disbursement
Total outlays

Australia 2.87 18.5 9.3a 27.8 34.2a 37.3a
Austria 1.67 18.7 20.0 38.7 45.3 51.1
Belgium 1.56 17.5 21.9 39.4 51.3 53.9
Canada 2.86 20.0 11.6 31.6 41.9 45.2
Denmark 1.83 26.4 17.0 43.4 55.9 59.1
Finland 3.27 19.5 10.0 29.5 35.9 39.8
France 1.67 19.1 21.3 40.4 47.1 50.6
Ireland 2.00 19.0 15.3a 34.3 49.0a 54.0a
Italy 2.21 16.1 16.5 32.6 43.6 48.2
Japan 3.85 9.8 11.0 20.8 26.7 33.3
Netherlands 1.12 17.0 27.0 44.0 54.9 60.2
Norway 3.26 19.3 15.2 34.5 45.0 48.3
Sweden 1.79 28.1 18.3 46.4 59.8 63.8
Switzerland 2.04 13.1 13.3 26.4 30.3 30.3
United Kingdom 1.70 21.4 13.5a 34.9 43.8a 46.9a
United States 2.55 18.2 11.2 29.4 34.6 35.9
West Germany 1.46 20.1 16.6 36.7 43.8 48.0

Note: For Definitions and Sources, see Table 1. a. 1980-86.

How Bright are the Northern Lights?

I hope this essay has succeeded in conveying my conviction that a society can,
if its policies and institutions are intelligent, prevent destitution and even
make fairly generous provision for its least fortunate citizens, yet still
remain a prosperous and dynamic society. If a society opens it markets to
imports and avoids special-interest legislation, cartelization, and collusion,
it can be innovative and prosperous even while it significantly alleviates the
privations of its poorer citizens. At least to a degree, this same conviction
was part of the inspiration behind the Swedish welfare state. Thus I believe
there really are Northern Lights. They are beautiful. They can also give
societies a rough sense of direction. But they are not bright or stable enough
to save a society, if it

69

rushes far ahead without taking along any further sources of light, from
stumbling into catastrophe.