[Paleopsych] Neese and Williams: On Darwinian Medicine

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Tue Jan 10 14:24:07 UTC 2006

Neese and Williams: On Darwinian Medicine
http://www-instruct.nmu.edu/biology/ALindsay/Evolution/Nesse_1999.pdf

Life Science Research
Published in China

Vol. 3, No 1, 1999 pp. 1-17 and
Vol. 3, No 2, 1999, pp. 79-91

On Darwinian Medicine
Randolph M. Nesse
George C. Williams

Address correspondence to:
Randolph Nesse, M.D.
Professor of Psychiatry,
The University of Michigan
Room 5057, Institute for Social Research
426 Thompson Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48106-1248 USA
nesse at umich.edu

It would appear, at first glance, that natural selection would have little
to say about why work better, and decreases the frequency of genes that
harm organisms, so it would seem that evolutionary theory would be able to
explain adaptations, but not their failures. This illusion has been so
strong that even now, over a century since Darwin showed how organisms are
shaped by natural selection, evolutionary biology is just beginning to be
applied to the problems of medicine. (1, 1991, 2, 3, Trevathan, In press
#1220) We are just beginning to learn why we are vulnerable to so many
diseases. Why do we have an appendix? Wouldn't we be better off without
wisdom teeth? Why does the human fetus have to squeeze through the tiny
pelvic opening? Why, after millions of years of natural selection, are we
still susceptible to infection by the streptococcus organism? Why do we
get fevers so high they cause seizures? And why do our own immune systems
sometimes attack us, causing rheumatic fever, rheumatoid arthritis, and
multiple sclerosis? Why is depression so common, and why is life, in
general, so full of suffering? Why is pain so often excessive? And why is
it so hard for so many people to find restful sleep, to say nothing of
love and sexual satisfaction?

All these questions are about the design of the organism. More
specifically, they are about why our bodies aren't better designed. In
many cases, such as the appendix, it would seem to be child's play to
improve the design. Were we able to change the body as we see fit, we
could banish much disease. Or, could we? If the problem is just that
natural selection is just not strong enough to improve the design of the
body, then we certainly could do better. Selection operates on random
mutations that constantly slip in, so perhaps the design flaws simply
result from chance. Some certainly do. The vast majority of designs that
go bad, are, however, not random mistakes, but products of natural
selection. This poses a central mystery. If naturalselection is so
powerful that it can shape bodies so perfect in so many respects, then why
are our bodies also full of so many flaws and design oversights that leave
us vulnerable to thousands of diseases?

There are only a few possible kinds of evolutionary explanations for such
vulnerabilities. First, as already mentioned, there are random
events--environmental mishaps that are too rare to be seen by natural
selection and genetic changes that are outside the reach of natural
selection. Second, there are problems that arise because our bodies were
not designed from scratch, but from an unbroken lineage that goes all the
way back to the simplest single-celled organisms. Path dependence--the
result of this continuous lineage--means that many structure designs are
actually maladaptive. Third, there is competition between living
organisms. Natural selection shapes predators, bacteria and viruses, and
other humans, all of whom may benefit from harming us. To protect
ourselves from these dangers, natural selection has shaped a wide variety
of protective defenses such as pain, fever, nausea, and anxiety. These are
not causes of disease, but the body's ways of preventing damage, yet
because they are painful and associated with problems, we often confuse
them with diseases themselves. Fourth, there are trade-offs--every trait
in the body could be improved to some degree if, that is, we were willing
to accept the resulting compromises in other traits. Fifth, we were not
designed by natural selection for our present environment and lifestyles,
and much disease results because natural selection is not had time to
transform us for living in the modern environment. Finally, there are
genetic "quirks", variations that were of no consequence in the ancestral
environment, but that now cause disease.

Natural selection is an extremely simple principle, but its elaborations
are extremely subtle and this leads to much misunderstanding. Darwin, of
course, did not know about genes--all he had to go on was the traits of
organisms. As a result, he had to develop his ideas based on observations
of how traits change in response to breeding, with only a vague notion
about how the information that coded for an organism's traits was passed
along. Now we know that the information code for organisms is stored in
DNA, specifically, in approximately 100,000 protein coding sequences
called genes. While much of this code is identical between two different
human individuals, and, for that matter, between any two living organisms,
there are also variations. If individuals with gene A, on the average in
this environment have more offspring and grand-offspring than individuals
with gene B, then the A gene will gradually become more common and B will,
over the generations, become rare. Naturalselection consists of nothing
more or less than 1) variation in the information code that results in
variations in phenotypes, 2) differential reproductive success of those
phenotypes, with the inevitable result of, 3) changes in the information
code across the generations. (4) This logic is so straightforward that it
is best described not as a theory, but as a principle. When variation in
an information code leads to differential reproductive success, the
information code changes to whatever works best at getting copies of
itself in future generations.

Despite the simplicity of the principle of natural selection, it remains
the focus of many misunderstandings. (5) In particular, contrary to the
beliefs of many, the path of natural selection has no goal, no direction,
and follows no plan. Yes, it is true that the first organisms were small
unicellular creatures and the earth now has many large multi-cellular
organisms with much greater complexity. This is not, however, because of
any preexisting plan or magical force, it is simply because the first
organisms were necessarily small and simple, so there was only one
direction for variations to go. Organisms can evolve to simpler as well as
more complex forms, as illustrated by the helminths that inhabit mammalian
guts. Also, while humans are quite wonderful creatures with some unique
abilities, there is no reason to think that we are a peak or a goal of
this process. In fact, it appears more and more that our species is, at
least in terms of the ecosystem it is ravaging, a malignantly successful
replicator that is accidentally but systematically destroying most other
organisms on Earth.

The key to understanding natural selection is recognizing that it changes,
not organisms, but the information code that makes organisms. (4) Whatever
information creates individuals who maximize copies of that information in
future generations will become more common. This depends, of course, on
the environment. There is no such thing as an adaptation in the abstract--
traits are adaptive only in reference to a particular environment. (6)

Another common misunderstanding arises from the understandable tendency to
see individuals and groups as a product of natural selection, instead of
genes. Different genes cooperate to do things that benefit the individual,
so intuitively, it seems sensible that individuals should make sacrifices
for the benefit of the species. There is a huge difference, however,
between these levels. (7) The genes in each cell of an individual are
identical. Even if they were not identical, the genes in somatic cells
cannot be passed on, so they get no benefit whatsoever from doing anything
except helping the individual. Different individuals, however, have
different genes.

These genes inevitably induce behaviors that are in their own interests at
the expense of other individuals. The only exceptions are in the case of
identical twins or genetically identical individuals in species that can
reproduce by nonsexual means.

This brings up an immediate, large, good, and unanswered question; why is
reproduction sexual? Compared to simply budding, sex is expensive,
troublesome, shuffles the genetic code in ways that cause unfortunate
genetic combinations and, worst of all, results in related individuals
with different interests who therefore are shaped to compete against one
another. The very existence of sex is, from an evolutionary point of view,
a mystery. (8) One plausible explanation is that the genetic code must be
constantly varied, otherwise viruses and bacteria would be able to crack
the code and make short work out every one of us. (9) Another idea is
based on the best strategy for winning a lottery. (10) In most organisms,
the vast majority of offspring never ever get to sexual maturity. Each one
is much like a lottery ticket that probably will be worthless, but may
have a big payoff. In this situation, the best strategy is obviously not
to buy many lottery tickets that are identical, but to spread your bets
among a wide variety of different tickets in hopes that one of them will
payoff. The important point here is that while it is hard to explain why
sex exists, it does, and the resulting genetic variation necessarily means
that individuals within a species will compete, and will cooperate only in
the service of that competition. We do, however, see individuals sacrifice
for the good of the group on many occasions, a phenomenon that is the
deserving focus of much current work (11). It is tempting to try to
explain such phenomena as a result of selection acting for the benefit of
the group by selecting for traits that benefit the group even though the
harm the individual. Except possibly in some very special circumstances,
however, this simply does not work. The force of selection at the
individual level is so much more powerful than that at the group level,
that group selection can explain only traits that are of very small cost
to the individual and enormous benefit to the group.

One level further down the hierarchy is a parallel issue with important
consequences for human health. We have already mentioned that genetic
differences in somatic human cells cannot get into the genome and so act
only in the interests of the individual. But are there circumstances in
which genes can have effects that promote their interests in getting into
the next generation even at the expense of the individual's health? Yes,
indeed. In fact, such examples are common causes of much human illness and
suffering. The most dramatic example is the longevity difference between
the sexes. Males on the average live approximately seven years less than
females. This is not true only for humans, but for essentially every
species where males compete vigorously for mates. This phenomenon can be
explained at one level, the proximate level, by reference to the effects
of testosterone on tissues, and the effects of male aggression and
fighting on accident rates. An entirely separate explanation, an
evolutionary explanation, is necessary to reveal why testosterone has
deleterious effects on tissues, and why men do aggressive and dangerous
things. This explanation is based, like all evolutionary explanations, on
how genes shape traits that influence reproductive success. Females invest
more in each offspring, therefore the range of their range reproductive
success is narrowed compared to men. Most women have from 1 to perhaps as
many as 10 children. Some men, however, will have no offspring whatsoever,
while some will have far more. Some men have had hundreds of children.
(12) Thus, the competition between men for mates is extreme, while women
tend to be choosy. (13) A man whose physiology is set to put increased
effort into this competition by sacrificing tissue protection, tissue
healing, immune function, and physical safety, will have a reproductive
advantage over men who live safer, healthier, longer lives. For women,
this is not true, at least to the same extent, so they live longer. This
principle leads to other observable effects even in a modern civilization.
People do things that are not particularly in their best interests, but
are in the interests of their genes. For instance, many men will seek out
additional sexual partners, despite knowing the risks of disease, jealous
husbands and their own wife's wrath (14). Often they know ahead of time
exactly what lies in store for them, but they go ahead, almost as if they
cannot help acting in ways that benefit their genes, even when they know
it will lead to their harm and ultimate unhappiness.

Still another example of genes taking advantage of individuals occurs in
the process of meiosis. A gene that can somehow distort the process to get
increased copies of itself into the egg or sperm will have a huge
selective advantage so such genes can increase in frequency even if they
do severe harm to the individual. No examples are known in humans, but the
T-locus in mice and segregation-distorter locus in Drosophlia, document
the existence of this phenomenon (15). Our purpose here is not to describe
such phenomena in any detail, but simply to use them as examples that
illustrate the crucial principle that natural selection is a mindless
process that increases the frequency of any bits of information in the DNA
code that, by whatever means, are especially successful at getting
themselves into the next generation, even if that harms the individual.

Still another example illustrates the idea of pleiotropy. A gene that
increase the rate of implantation of a zygote on the uterine wall from the
usual 25% to, say 35%, will have such a huge selective advantage that it
can rapidly increase in frequency even if it causes severe problems later
in life. An example may exist in the DR3 allele on the HLA system, an
allele that greatly increases the risk of childhood diabetes. (16)
Phenylketoneuria also may be maintained by the same mechanism, as
indicated by the presence of this recessive disease in more that the
expected 50% of a couple's offspring. (17) Competition with other
organisms

A large proportion of human disease results from competition with other
organisms. This is most obvious in our competition with viruses and
bacteria, but disease also arises from competition with predators and
other humans. In all cases, natural selection is constantly improving our
ability to cope with these threats, but because these organisms themselves
are constantly changing products of natural selection who are in a race to
escape our defenses, there is no end to the process, and much disease
results. (18, 19) To simplify, consider rabbits and foxes. If a mutation
makes some foxes a bit faster than others, they will catch more rabbits,
and this mutation will soon become more common in future generations. This
has an obvious effect on the rabbits.

Those who previously could handily escape foxes now are vulnerable. Only
the very fastest rabbits can escape, so selection increases frequency of
genes that make rabbits still faster, even when those genes may have other
negative effects. This is a classic instance of a trade-off. A change in
an organism that is all for the good with no new costs, is extremely rare.
At the very least, rabbits that run faster are likely to be lighter, and
therefore less likely to survive a period of food shortage. Or perhaps,
the changes that make rabbits faster are also increase the speed with
which energy is metabolized, perhaps with tissue-damaging side effects. As
must be obvious, this competition between the rabbits and the foxes will
shape both species in an escalating arms race. Such arms races result in
much disease. Both foxes and rabbits could be heavier and better able to
get through a harsh winter if they could just relax and cooperate. But,
they can't. Similar arms races are even more obvious in the all-out
competitions between pathogens and hosts (20). Streptococcal bacteria, for
instance, must somehow escape surveillance by our immune systems. One of
their strategies seems to be to imitate our own cells so our antibodies
against them sometimes attack our own tissues. This is obviously a tricky
business, but we must do it to it escape their infections. So, some people
and up get rheumatic fever that damages the joints and heart valves, or
obsessive compulsive disorder from damage to the basal ganglia, or scarlet
fever from damage to the skin. The layer on layer of intrigue and
counter-intrigue in these competitions is breathtaking in its complexity,
and tragic in its results (21). Consider the organism that causes sleeping
sickness, the trypanosome. Its antigen coat stimulates a healthy immune
response, but just at the time when antibodies are being made in quantity,
the organism exposes a completely different antigen coat, thus eluding its
pursuers as effectively as a spy who completely changes his disguise. (22)

Such arms races seem to be responsible for considerable genetic variation,
some of which causes disease. The sickle cell trait is a well-known
example. Individuals with a single sickle cell allele are protected
against malaria but do not get sickle cell disease, while those with 2
sickle cell alleles die young from sickle cell disease, and those who have
no sickle cell alleles are vulnerable to malaria. This example has been
widely discussed, but it is somewhat peculiar because it results from a
single nucleotide substitution that apparently occurred in the
neighborhood of ten thousand years ago, and, is found only in Africa and
areas of the Mediterranean were malaria has been prevalent. (23) The
alpha+-thalassaemias are of particular interest because they are the
commonest known human genetic disorders. They have been thought to protect
from malaria, but recent evidence suggests that they are associated with a
higher incidence of malaria. The explanation seems to be that by
increasing susceptibility to the more mild Plasmodium vivax they result in
immunity that protects against the more severe P. falciparum malaria (24).
G6PD deficiency also apparently protects against malaria and has increased
in frequency in the times since humans began agriculture (25). There has
been wide speculation that some of the genetic diseases characteristic of
the Askanazi Jews, such as Tay Sachs and other sphingolipidoses, may
protect against tuberculosis. (26)

These genetic variations are present only in small groups, but others may
have become universal genetic characteristics that protect us against
other pathogens despite causing us harm. Despite the difficulty of
distinguishing harmful from useful genes, (27), it is important to
recognize this mechanism as a source of vulnerability to disease,
especially as we begin to unravel the entire genome. Some genes will, no
doubt, appear to have wholly pathologicaleffects. Before we tamper with
them, we should consider the possibility that they may have unsuspected
benefits. What is the optimum level of virulence for a pathogen? On the
surface it would seem senseless for a pathogen to kill its host. Why not
simply coexist with a host so that the host lives longer and the pathogen
can also? But this is not how natural selection works. Whatever
information code in pathogens results in the most copies in future
generations will become more common.

For some pathogens, such as those that cause minor upper respiratory
infections, a low-level of virulence will facilitate spread. People who
are too sick to leave bed will not be up and about coughing, sneezing, and
touching other people. On the other hand, when a pathogen is spread by
vector such as mosquitoes or dirty water, selection may favor increased
virulence. Malaria may spread even better if the host is unable to slap at
mosquitoes. In an environment where raw sewage may reach others, cholera
may spread proportionate to the amount of diarrhea it produces. When the
host is infected with a fatal pathogen, restraint by another pathogen is
of no benefit.

Paul Ewald has investigated such situations in detail, and predicted and
demonstrated that virulence should decrease when changed sanitary
conditions shift the advantage to strains of an organism that allow the
victim to be up and about. (20) Indeed, when public sanitation is
successful, the more virulent type of cholera is displaced by the less
virulent. Likewise with Shigella - when public sanitation is instituted,
natural selection shifts the advantage to less virulent subtype. This
principle has profound implications for modern hospitals as well, since
doctor's and nurse's hands serve the same function as mosquitoes,
transferring pathogens from and to passive victims in a cycle that selects
for the more aggressive organisms.

Finally, we note the lengths to which pathogens go to insure their
transmission. They can even take over the behavioral control machinery of
the host to their own advantage. (28) Ants who are infected with a
particular kind of fluke will, in the late stages of infection, climb to
the top of a blade of grass and grab on in a spasm that will not let go.
Why? The next phase of the life-cycle for this fluke is in sheep, so ants
clasping the tip of a blade of grass are helpless prisoners doing the
bidding of their internal masters. Similar pathogens induced snails to
crawl up on the shore where they are exposed to sea gulls, the next stage
in their life-cycle. A more common and gruesome example that affects
humans, is offered by rabies. After it enters the skin, the rabies virus
enters the nerves and arranges for its own transport directly to the
central nervous system. There, it concentrates in the amygdala, a site
that controls aggression, and in the brain locus that controls swallowing,
so that the mouth fills with saliva, and in the salivary glands. Thus, the
rabies virus essentially takes over the individual and turns it into a
device for transmitting itself.

Defenses

Many manifestations of disease are caused directly by a pathogen or by
some defect in the body. Paralysis, jaundice, and seizures, are examples.
Other manifestations of disease are not themselves defects, but are
defenses that have been shaped by natural selection to protect us in the
face of certain dangers. Examples include pain, nausea, vomiting,
diarrhea, fatigue and anxiety. It is very easy to mistakenly interpret
such symptoms as pathological, when, in fact they are protections against
pathology. Cough is the most obviously useful defense. The basic benefit
of cough is clearing foreign from the respiratory tract. People who are
unable to cough cannot clear secretions from their lungs and are likely to
die from pneumonia. A variety of other mechanisms do the same thing for
other passageways. Vomiting clears toxins and pathogens from the upper GI
tract while diarrhea clears them from the lower GI tract. Coughing,
sneezing and nasal secretions clear the respiratory passages. Inflammation
leading to pus formation and extrusion on the surface of the body serves
the same function for infections that have penetrated the tissue of the
body.

Much of general medical practice consists in blocking the discomfort
associated with these symptoms. We use these medication to block cough,
relieve pain, stop vomiting and decrease diarrhea. Is this wise? Not
always. In a clear demonstration of the value of diarrhea, Du Pont and
Hornick compared the outcomes in people with Shigella infections who took
medications to decrease diarrhea and those who did not. (29) Those who are
left alone recovered faster, while those who took medication had extended
illness, more complications, and were more likely to become carriers.
Giving cough suppressants to patients shortly after surgery is well-known
to cause pneumonia, so physicians therefore avoid this. Nonetheless, in
many other situations we are able to use medications to block cough,
diarrhea, and vomiting with no particular apparent ill- effects. How is
this possible? Consider how natural selection shaped the mechanisms to
regulate these defenses. Essentially natural selection acts on the outcome
of a signal detection analysis.

Just as electrical engineer must set a system to decide correctly whether
given click coming across a line is a signal or just noise, the body's
regulation mechanisms must set the system for, say, vomiting, to expel the
contents of the stomach only when that is worthwhile. But such signals are
somewhat difficult to interpret. The only way to insure that no toxin is
ever ingested, is not to eat all. This would not be good strategy.
Conversely, to avoid wasting calories, it would be best never ever to
vomit. This would not be wise either. The optimal regulation strategy
depends on how likely it is that a toxin really is present, how costly it
will be to mount a defensive response of vomiting, and how costly it would
be to fail to mount such response if the toxin is actually present. In
many instances the parameters of the system favor an apparently
overly-sensitive defense responses. The cost of many defenses is
relatively small--in the case of vomiting, only a few hundred calories.
The cost of not responding could be death. As a result, natural selection
has shaped the normal system to respond in many instances where a response
is not actually necessary in order to ensure that the system will always
respond when response is necessary. We call this the "smoke detector
principle" because it also guides the design of smoke detectors. (2) We
could design a smoke detector that would sound a warning only when the
house was definitely on fire and never when the toast is burning. Such a
system would, however, on occasion fail to sound off in when there was a
real fire. Thus, we want our smoke detectors designed to sound some false
alarms because that is what it takes to ensure that they will always warn
us of a real fire.

This "smoke detector principle" also helps to explain how is possible to
use medications to block defenses without necessarily causing harm. Nine
times out of ten vomiting may not be necessary, so in most instances,
medications to block it will cause little harm. Then again, there is that
additional instance when it really is necessary. The same principle
applies to many other defenses. Consider pain. Pain is a useful adaptation
- people who lack the capacity for pain are usually dead by their early
20s or 30s. (30) Overall, however, it seems that most of the pain that we
experience in life, at least in the modern environment, is excessive and
prolonged. Medical advances to block pain have been a great boon for
humans. Furthermore, we now recognize disorders in which the pain system
itself is dysregulated causing chronic pain. Defensive mechanisms, like
any other real-world mechanisms, can malfunction.

Anxiety offers another instructive example. We often imagine that we would
prefer life without the experience of anxiety, but people who lack anxiety
entirely likely do as poorly in life as people who lack the capacity for
pain. They do not come to psychiatrist's offices complaining of
insufficient anxiety, but the defect is just as serious it as if their
immune systems were hypofunctional. (31, 32) Therefore, while a few people
may have anxiety deficiencies, the vast majority of us tend to have more
anxiety that we need. Blocking this anxiety with medications only rarely
leads to reckless behavior, although in case of driving automobiles, this
certainly can cause accidents.

We have additional defenses that are specific against infection, including
fever, inflammation and the immune response. Fever is not a simple
increase in the rate of metabolism, but is a systematic and coordinated
response to the presence of cues that indicate the presence of infection.
(33) During a fever, the body will defend the new set point by increasing
the temperature if attempts are made to reduce it and also by decreasing
the temperature if attempts are made to increase it further . Pathogens
are more susceptible to our defenses at the higher body temperature. Even
cold-blooded animals raise their body temperature in the face of infection
by moving to warmer places until the infection is controlled. All this
leads to an obvious question--is it indeed wise to block fever during
infection? Surprisingly, adequate studies have still not been done on this
most routine medical question. Certainly in many individual instances the
smoke detector principle applies, and we can block fever and rely on the
body's other defense mechanisms to protect us. However, there may be
situations in which we would get better faster if we did not block fever.

Also, in cold climates people have repeatedly discovered the sauna bath or
other ways to raise body temperature, perhaps because this helps to
improve health. In the case of chicken pox, there is some evidence that
antipyretics slightly prolong the cause of illness. For influenza, would
people get better faster if they did not take medications block fever? We
don't know. None of these defenses are diseases themselves, but it is easy
to fall into the illusion that they are problems, instead of parts of
solutions. This illusion is fostered because they are constantly
associated with pathology and because they can so often be blocked without
untoward effects.

The illusion is still further fostered by the psychological and physical
discomfort we experience in association with the expression of defenses.
We don't like fever, we obviously don't want pain, vomiting, diarrhea and
coughing are extremely unpleasant, and it's perfectly understandable that
we should want to minimize them. This brings us to the next question, why
do humans have capacities for suffering at all?

The capacities for suffering

The capacities for suffering are products of natural selection. If pain
was not useful, we would not have the capacity for pain. If anxiety was
not useful, we would not have anxiety. Anxiety and pain, perhaps in
concert with the awful feelings we get when we lose someone we love, are
close to purely negative experiences, their aversiveness almost certainly
being central to their utility. People who didn't mind tissue damage,
threats, and losses, have not passed on as many of their genes as people
who did everything in their power to avoid these circumstances. The
reaction of people to narcotic pain-killers is of great interest. Many
report that they can still experience the pain but "it no longer bothers
me." In essence, they report the perception is intact, but the affective
representation of the experience has been reduced or eliminated. Much of
the mission of medicine is, of course, to relieve suffering. This is best
accomplished by eliminating the cause that has aroused the negative
feeling, but very often we can safely and effectively use medications to
directly block the brain mechanisms that gave give rise to negative
feeling.

Many bodily defects, such as cancer or atherosclerosis are imperceptible
for years, but almost every bodily defense is associated with discomfort.
Nausea precedes vomiting and inhibits eating, thus preventing further
intake of toxins. Diarrhea and cough are quite annoying. The physical
fatigue that follows over-exertion is unpleasant enough to motivate
avoidance of the situations that gave rise to it. The malaise that
accompanies infection often seems excessive, and when we take medications
that block this feeling we can often go about our business much more
comfortably. In the ancestral environment, however, when predators were
problem, this might not have been so wise. In that circumstance, to wander
far from camp when unable to run fast might have been unwise indeed.
Furthermore, simply resting during infection may allow the body's full
resources to be commandeered for the fight.

Many forms of human suffering are not so physical. We also experience
depression, anger, jealousy, anger, embarrassment, and many other
unpleasant emotions. By extension, it seems likely that the very
unpleasantness of these emotions is also a product of natural selection.

Indeed, most of them are aroused by situations that are not good for our
health, status, or reproductive success. (34) Work to understand the
emotions in this light is just beginning, but it is needed urgently if we
are to cope wisely with the development of new psychopharmacologic agents.
We already have effective anti-anxiety drugs, although they all have
side-effects or cause dependency. We have increasingly good drugs to block
depression, although they take weeks to work and also have side effects.
It seems entirely likely, however, that the combination of brain science,
the genome project, and improvements in chemistry will lead to agents that
are far more specific with far fewer side-effects. We are ill-prepared to
decide how to use such substances. If, for instance, a pill was developed
that could eliminate jealousy, how would we use it? Certainly this could
prevent much suffering, and even violence, but it would also undermine
some deep human impulses that are responsible, in a considerable measure,
for the fundamental structure of the family and society. Or, how would we
use agents that block the experiences of greed and envy? On the surface it
would seem fine to eliminate these nasty emotions, but we might find that
we simultaneously eliminate the motives for much human effort and
entrepreneurship that makes societies successful in competition with other
societies. We expect that conflicts between individuals and their
societies will arise over the use of such drugs. Perhaps the current war
on drugs is already an example. (35)

Trade-offs

Every aspect of the body could be designed to be more resistant to
disease, but only at a cost. Why for instance are our arms not stronger
and less prone to fractures? Arm bones could be made thicker and less
likely to break when we fall. Because of the design of these bones,
however, making them thicker would drastically decrease our dexterity and
make it impossible to rotate the wrist the way we can now. We could be
even better protected from infection if our immune systems were more
aggressive. Then, however, the untoward effects of the system, including
tissue damage and rapid senescence , would become even more prominent and
we might also experience more auto-immune disease. Our vision could be
still more acute, like a hawk able to see a mouse from a kilometer way.
The trade-offs, however, would be a drastic loss of peripheral vision,
color vision and the ability to see complex shapes all at once. Our
upright posture is still another trade-off. Many explanations have been
proposed to explain why we walk on two feet, from the benefits of using
tools and weapons, to the need to carry infants. Whatever the benefit is,
we can be sure was a substantial one, because standing upright has so many
costs. The most obvious one comes from the design of our spine which is
optimized for a creature the goes about on all fours. On standing upright,
however, enormous pressure is put on the lower spinal discs, causing pain
and disability that is perhaps more common than any other medical
disorder. On the much more mundane level it appears that hemorrhoids
result from the changes in circulation that result from upright posture.
The tendency to faint is greatly increased by standing upright. The
tendency to lose one's balance and the need for extraordinarily complex
brain mechanisms to regulate bodily position and balance are all secondary
to standing upright. Even the design of the system that supplies blood to
our bowel is very poorly designed for an upright posture. In an animal
that goes about on all fours the omentum hangs like a curtain, supporting
the bowel and providing easy access for vessels. But when we stand up,
however, it is as if someone took the curtain rod and stood it upright,
whereupon the folds tangle in on one another, giving rise to the
possibility of bowel obstruction and arterial compromise. It's worth
noting that these trade-offs can also be interpreted as novelties, in that
there simply has not been enough time for natural selection to shape
reliable mechanisms to protect us against of these ills. Perhaps in
another million years back pain will be far less frequent. In the
meantime, however, we will suffer.

Another trait that seems to be maladaptive, is our lack of hair. There is
much disagreement about the evolutionary explanation for our nakedness,
with proposals ranging from increased ability to sweat, to speculation
that we spent much time in the water in our evolutionary past. Whatever
the explanation, there are some obvious penalties, especially for paler
individuals, including sunburn, and a risk of dying from malignant
melanoma. Everything is a trade-off. It is foolish to describe a trait as
perfect and there are few traits that are simply pathological. All have
costs and benefits. All are trade-offs.

Such trade-offs also exist at the level of the gene. All genetic changes
begin as new mutations, and it would be rare indeed for a mutation to have
only benefits and no costs. Given the interaction effects among 100,000
genes, acting in environments that vary from year to year and generation
to generation, a detailed accounting of such costs and benefits is beyond
our current understanding . What we do know, however, is that a gene that
gives a net selective advantage will likely be selected for, even if it
causes disease in some people, or disability or decreased function in all
of us. It is extremely hard to recognize genes that cause disadvantages in
all of us, because we have nothing to compare them to. What we do have are
a few examples of genes that have obvious benefits that explain their
selection despite their tendency to cause disease. Sickle cell disease has
already been mentioned. It is the only solidly documented example. In our
book, we described our expectation that the allele that causes cystic
fibrosis would be found have some benefit, because it was so common and so
reliably fatal. This speculation has since been supported by epidemiology
(23) and by genetic studies of mice with a single cystic fibrosis allele .
In more recent work, it has been discovered that this allele also inhibits
Salmonella typhi, the cause of typhoid fever, from entering the cells in
our gut. (36)

A further illustration may soon be available in the case of manic
depressive illness. This illness is overwhelmingly genetic in its origins,
affects approximately one percent of people worldwide with devastating
consequences including a 20 percent risk of suicide and a 20 percent risk
of early death from other causes. (37) The selection force acting against
the genes that cause manic depression is so enormous that there is very
likely some selective advantage unless a large number of genes are
involved. What could the advantage be? For centuries, people have noted
the increased creativity of people who have manic depressive tendencies
and recent scientific evidence confirms this finding. (38) Perhaps this
creativity somehow leads to selection for the manic depression genes.
There's no need, however, for the benefit to accrue to people with manic
depressive illness. In fact, it's more likely that their unaffected kin
would experience a benefit, while those with the disease would experience
mainly the costs. This general mechanism may apply to many genes, with
some individuals suffering from a disease, while fitness benefits accrue
to relatives who carry the same genes in combination with other different
genes. The definitive test would be to look at the reproductive success,
in the ancestral environment, of relatives of individuals with manic
depressive illness. Such a study would be nearly impossible to do. We will
likely sooner identify the specific genes. Once we have them, we will look
at people who have these genes to see how they differ from other
individuals. Perhaps they are more creative and perhaps this creativity
does give them increased reproductive success or other advantages. Or
perhaps the genes protect them from some infection. The question will be
difficult to answer but important as we approach a time when genes can be
manipulated.

This example has important implications for those who would try to improve
the human species by controlling reproduction. A long-standing dream of
progressives has been to eliminate defective genes and thus improve the
health of the population, presumably making the world better place. While
this idea recurs often throughout history, it was the subject of early
public policies in the United States at the very start of the
20th-century. As everyone knows, a grander and more deadly version was
practiced by the Nazis, leaving a lingering repugnance for eugenics that
makes it almost impossible even to talk about the issue. (39) We will
address the issue of human rights here only by saying that in our vision,
Darwinian medicine is a field that benefits individuals, not nations or
the species. The other issue is the scientific basis for eugenics. Much
has already been said about the lack of scientific foundation for such
efforts as conducted in the past. Many supposedly genetic diseases, such
as cretinism, turned out to be caused by environmental factors, and others
resulted from many genes or rare recessive genes so that eugenic efforts,
and the associated restrictions of individual reproductive rights, were in
vain. An evolutionary view of disease helps to reveal the complexity of
these matters. Population geneticists have worked out the details of how
certain rare recessive genes persist in the population irrespective of
their possible selective costs, and these principles show the
extraordinary practical difficulties faced by anyone who would try to
reduce the frequency of such genes through selective breeding. An even
more important factor is that many genetic diseases involve many genes,
often in complex interactions with environmental factors. Even specific
harmful genes may give rise to disease in only a small proportion of
individuals, so restricting reproductive opportunities on the basis of
manifest disease will have little impact on the frequency of most diseases
even if eugenic policies were pursued rigidly for many generations.

The case of manic depressive illness, is instructive because the
responsible genes may well be helpful as well as harmful. This case is
peculiarly appropriate to consider for public policy because while the
individual may suffer with manic depressive illness, the society may
benefit from creations by the ill individual or his or her relatives. To
eliminate the genes that cause manic depressive illness without careful
thought could, therefore, be a catastrophic mistake. Furthermore, other
genes that appear superficially to be simple defects, will likely turn out
to have unanticipated adaptive benefits, although it is still very
difficult to distinguish these from others. (40) We know enough now to
suggest that it would be safe to do away with genes that cause cystic
fibrosis, but it will be more difficult to discover if and what benefits
accrue from other genes that cause disease. Finally, it is by no means
certain that the future human environment will be the environment that we
live and now, so eliminating disease causing genes that protect us against
infections that are now rare may seem wise, but at some future date cause
new suffering.

All of this is, of course, about to be changed by the unraveling of the
human genome. On one hand we will finally have accurate information about
individual genotypes, and will no longer have to rely on phenotypic
expression of disease. On the other hand, it's likely that medical
advances arising from the human genome project will make it possible to
control vastly more diseases, including genetic diseases, that has ever
before been possible. This will, no doubt, give rise to new calls for
restricting reproduction among certain individuals with specific known
pathological genotypes. While this argument goes on, further progress will
be made in discovering ways to minimize the effects of these genetic
defects or to allow people with such defects to have offspring in which
manipulation of a single bit of DNA can prevent the problem. Of course,
human tendencies will use these technologies to give rise to entirely new
problems.

People will want to have offspring with the best possible genotype. We
predict that a market will soon arise in which rich people will try to
control the genotype of their offspring. Such a phenomenon of would likely
lead to an arms race for genetic information between countries that are
fearful that their populations would be left behind by genetically
superior generations in other countries. This prospect seems both
frightening and likely to us. While it would be easy simply to advocate
for restrictions on such practices, they would both prove extremely
difficult to enforce and, perhaps not in the interests of elites to
enforce in their own country. What does seem likely is that the human
species will, in a few hundred years, be different than it is now. No
doubt it will in some ways be better, but much conflict and many mistakes
lie along that road.

Novelty

The environment in which we live is considerably different from the
environment in which we were designed to live. While much disease arises
from environmental changes in the past 100 years, much disease also arises
from changes since the advent of agriculture about 40,000 years ago (41).
Prior to that, humans lived in small hunting and foraging groups of 20 to
50 people who lived largely on fruits, tubers, grains, and meat. In most
locations, salt was in short supply, sugar was available mainly in the
form of ripe fruits or occasionally as honey, and high levels of fat were
almost always unavailable. We are living in an unnatural environment.

It is easy to over-generalize this principle. The idea of the environment
of evolutionary adaptedness (the EEA), proposed by John Bowlby, (42) has
been extremely useful in reminding us about the differences between then
and now. As pointed out by recent scholarship, however, there was no
single environment of evolutionary adaptedness, but a constellation of
situations in which our ancestors lived. (43) While these environments had
much in common, they also differed. When humans moved out of Africa,
perhaps one million years ago, their particular ability to adapt to new
environments quickly lead to spread across the Eur-Asian land mass. As
they moved to new environments, new selective forces began to act. In
colder climates individuals with shorter arms and legs lost heat less
quickly and had a selective advantage. In environments where lack of
sunshine and wearing clothes lead to light deprivation on the skin causing
vitamin D depletion and rickets, there was selection for decreased skin
pigmentation. (44) In settings where humans raised animals and subsisted
on milk, there was selection for maintenance of lactose activity into
adult life. (45)

The big environmental changes however, have been those of our own making.
The giant one was the invention of agriculture. By growing their own food,
people were able to insure a much more consistent supply of calories at
less effort. The price, however, was immediate increase in certain
diseases. Studies of Native Americans give particularly clear evidence of
the rise in disease after cultivation of maize and sorgum became common.
The stature of adults declined, and arthritis and tooth decay suddenly
emerged because the agricultural diet provided more sugar, and far fewer
and more limited phytochemicals than the diet consumed by hunter
gatherers. The diets of these early Native Americans were probably also
deficient in protein and certain essential amino acids.

Cultural traits can do much to compensate for such problems. For instance,
many native groups in the Americas soak their maize in alkali before
cooking--a process that frees the niacin, an essential vitamin that is
otherwise deficient in a maize based diet. (46) and may increase lysine,
an amino acid deficient in a maize diet. Other deficiencies are not so
easy to remedy. When eating natural fruits and vegetables, humans get
plenty of vitamin C, a chemical they cannot synthesized friends (in
contrast to other primates, most of which can). Because vitamin C is a
necessary substance for us, we can be confident that it was in abundant
supply as a routine part of our diets for long enough to allow the
synthetic mechanism to be lost over the course or evolution. When sailors
began to take voyages lasting months, subsisting only on hardtack and
dried meat, scurvy quickly became a major problem. When Lind discovered
that giving out rations of limes prevented scurvy, the way was paved for
the discovery vitamin C. In Iceland, the same problem had long been
recognized and prevented by storing blueberries especially for the time in
late winter when scurry became a problem

We are vastly more healthy on the average now that we were even a few
hundred years ago. In most locations infection is less likely and more
curable, accidents are less common and more treatable, and general health
has improved thanks to more adequate food supplies and sanitation. A
Darwinian approach to medicine in no way advocates reverting to some
imagined ancestral time of perfect health. On the other hand, it remains
true that the majority of problems we see in medical clinics today arise
from novel aspects of our modern environment to which our "thrifty
genotype" not yet adapted. (47) The most common and devastating of these
diseases arise from our abnormal diets, and the resulting triad of
hypertension, obesity, and atherosclerosis. (48) Compared to our
ancestors, are diets include vastly more fat, salt, and sugar and
substantially less phytochemicals and fiber. (49) The result is the
current epidemic of heart disease and stroke caused largely by
atherosclerosis. Such diseases claim half of individuals in most modern
countries. The defect in design, however, is not simply in our metabolism
and our arteries, it is also in our brains. A hunter-gatherer who did not
have a taste for sugar and fat would be at a disadvantage. One could
hardly ever get enough of those substances in the ancestral environment.
Today, we have the same preferences as our hunter-gatherer ancestors, but
the world is different. The difference, of course, is that the
hunter-gatherer had to work long hours to get even occasional taste of a
high-fat high-salt, high sugar food, if it was possible at all. Nowadays,
we can go to the grocery store and glut ourselves on a wide variety of
snack foods that satisfy these cravings instantly. In United States more
than half of individuals are now overweight and a third are clinically
obese, conditions that contribute to much disease.

Individuals try to diet, but rarely succeed. They know what they should
eat, but they eat fat and sugar instead. They know they should exercise,
but they don't. The fault is not with their will- power, but with the very
design of the brain mechanisms that regulate their exercise and diet, a
design that is optimized for an entirely different environment. As the
diets typical in technological societies spread to developing countries,
the epidemic is predicted to be the single greatest cause of human
disease. (50)

Eating disorders are problems that seem to have arisen mainly in the last
generation. The ability to live with very little caloric expenditure, and
eat whatever one chooses whenever one chooses, interacts with evolved
preferences for mates with a particular shape with unfortunate results. It
appears to be a cross-cultural universal that men prefer women with a
waist/hip ratio of about 0.7. (51) This has been proposed to identify
women who have recently become sexually mature but who have not yet borne
many children, thus making them optimal reproductive partners. Heavy women
obviously do not have this conformation. Furthermore, the human tendency
to attend to caricatures interacts with mass media to create images of
women that are exaggerations of this ideal. In the arms race that arises
from sexual competition, women try to live up to these ideals, often with
tragic consequences. Attempting to diet sets off protective mechanisms
that were designed to protect a person from famine. When food is in short
supply, these mechanisms induce preoccupation with food and a tendency to
quickly gulp down large amounts of high calorie food. Such impulses to
gorge make a woman on a calorie-restricted diet even more fearful that she
will be unable to control her energy intake, so she tries even harder to
diet. This sets off a vicious cycle in which the impulses to eat become
still stronger, causing more loss of control, thus making her feel still
worse, until a serious eating disorder is established. For most women,
(with eating disorders) the cycle becomes one of the bulimia, eating large
amounts of food and then vomiting. For those few women with extraordinary
will-power, it is possible to restrict intake entirely causing anorexia
nervosa, a disease that is sometimes fatal. Eating disorders are a product
of the novel environment in which we live. They can be explained by the
food intake regulation mechanisms that evolved in an entirely different
environment and their interactions with innate sexual preferences that are
exaggerated by modern media. Such problems will become much more common as
technology and easy access to variable foods spreads across the world.

On a much more mundane level, millions of people suffer from pain at the
inside edge of the heel. This is sometimes called "heel spurs", because a
tiny bit of calcification is visible on x-rays, but the technical name is
plantar faschitis. The plantar faschia is a band of tough tissue that
stretches from the ball of the foot to the heel--essentially it is the bow
string that holds arch of the foot taunt. When walking miles each day and
sitting without chairs by squatting on the ground, this faschia is
constantly stretched and exercised. When, however, people sit for long
hours in chairs, this tissue is not stretched and contracts. When the
contracted tissue is suddenly stretched by jogging or a long walk, it is
vulnerable to ripping off from the heel--an injury that causes pain at the
site of the injury. Certainly there are peculiarities of anatomy and
walking posture that increase the vulnerability of some individuals to
this problem, but the fundamental difficulty is the design of the organism
and the mismatch with how we live our lives today. We are designed to seek
comfort and minimize caloric expenditure. Plantar faschiitis is one of the
several costs for following our evolved inclinations when they are no
longer adaptive. The invention of reliable birth control has been enormous
boon, not only for individuals, but also for populations, that at last
have some hope of restraining their numbers without relying on disease,
war, and starvation to control populations. The availability of birth
control is, however, a completely novel aspect of the environment that
causes many complications. In the ancestral environment, a woman would
typically reached sexual maturity at about age 17, would become pregnant
within a year or two, following which she would nurse or baby for two to
three years and quickly become pregnant once again. The total number of
menstrual cycles in a lifetime averaged around a hundred. (52) Nowadays,
women reached sexual maturity much younger, probably because of a superior
diet and increased fat stores earlier life. They may wait until age 30 to
have children or may never become pregnant. After giving birth, a woman
may feed the baby with a bottle, thus making it possible to become
pregnant again in a matter of months, instead of the several years of
infertility associated with breast feeding. The most common complication
of this modern pattern is certainly iron deficiency anemia. The disorder
is far more common in women than men because of loss of blood with each
menstrual cycle. The system was never designed for as many menstrual
cycles as now take place. High rates of breast cancer in modern societies
may also be partly attributed to the use of birth control. (53) The cells
in the breast that are most vulnerable to becoming cancerous begin
dividing at menarche and stop dividing only with the first pregnancy. In
the ancestral environment this interval lasted months to a year, but now
it often lasts for decades. Studies are now being done to see if the use
of pregnancy mimicking hormones for some years after menarche can prevent
breast cancer in some young women whose family histories suggest a high
risk.

The discovery of psychoactive drugs has also been a great boon for
humankind, but like all other advances, it has brought complications, in
this case drug abuse. While some individuals clearly are far more
susceptible to addiction than others, and while social factors certainly
help to account for why some people become addicted and others do not, an
evolutionary approach to the problem highlights the universal capacity for
humans to become addicted to drugs that act directly on motivational
systems. (35) The ascending dopaminergic tracts that are stimulated by
most drugs of abuse are intimately involved with reward mechanisms
designed to control behavior. (54) Actions that led to success (as
indicated by cues such as eating tasty food) are reinforced and become
more common. When, however, these mechanisms are stimulated by direct
action of drugs, they have no way of interpreting what is happening and
they respond as if some huge bonanza of resources had just been gained.
This gives a subjective enormous pleasure, the likes of which is hard to
find in real life. It also entrains behavior to repeat, over and over
again, whatever action brought such enormous pleasure. The great irony is
that after continued drug use, the drug addict may get very little
pleasure. Apparently the mechanisms that regulate subjective experience
damp out after repeated exposure to the drug. The mechanisms that control
behavior, however, tend to persist. Thus, the common picture of the
drug-addicted individual who desperately wants to quit, who gets little
pleasure from his habit, and yet who feels helplessly compelled to spend
his life seeking out drugs of abuse. (55) We were simply never designed to
live in an environment where drugs of abuse are readily available. It
seems as if there should be some solution to the problem drug abuse,
either by prevention, treatment or legalization of drugs. A Darwinian
approach suggests, however, that this problem may not have any
straightforward solution but may arise from an intrinsic vulnerability of
organisms that reach an advanced enough state of technology if their
motivational systems are chemically controlled, as ours are. In fact, we
predict that when we make contact with intelligent organisms on other
planets, we will discover that they either are continuing to cope with a
chronic problem drug abuse or at least passed through that stage at great
cost and suffering.

The amount of anxiety we experience nowadays is greatly excessive for the
dangers we encounter. (31) Most of us would be better off cutting down our
anxiety level by several notches. In this sense, anxiety can be seen as
excessive, given that we live in novel environment. It also seems
possible, however, that the anxiety system was fine-tuned during a
life-time in ancestral environments by exposure to things that actually
were dangerous. A modern person may see snakes only in zoos and so fear of
snakes can become quite generalized and lead to a tendency to avoid any
place a snake might conceivably be seen. If that same person had been
living in an ancestral environment, however, there would be great pressure
to keep going to places were snakes would be seen despite the fear, a
process that which soon extinguish unwarranted fear. Furthermore, exposure
to different kinds of snakes would soon lead to stimulus discrimination
between snakes that are harmful and those that are harmless. Many modern
phobias may, paradoxically, result from lack of exposure to different
kinds of dangerous objects.

Genetic quirks

We have emphasized diseases that arise from novel aspects of the
environment and diseases that arise from genes that may have benefits as
well as costs. Much modern disease arises, however, from interactions
between genetic variation and environmental novelty. Genes that had no ill
effects in our ancestral environment now reliably cause disease. Myopia is
an excellent example. Nearsightedness is a genetic disorder. If your
parents have it, you almost certainly will as well. This prevalence is
approximately 25 percent in all modern populations. How could such a
serious defect be maintained despite the force of natural selection? The
answer comes from recognizing that this is not purely a genetic defect,
but a genetic variation that was harmless until people began doing close
work, such as reading at an early age. Such early reading, in people who
have the genes, reliably cause is myopia. People who do not have the
genes, or do not do close work, never get nearsighted. Attempts to decide
if it is a genetic or an environmental disease are confused. Like many
other diseases, it is both.

Much atherosclerosis is probably the same. The genes that increase
vulnerability to heart disease probably were not harmful in an environment
where no one had high cholesterol. To call these genes defects is vastly
simplistic. These variations were of minor consequence in the environment
we were designed to live in. Genes that make some individuals especially
susceptible to drug abuse, are still another example of "quirks" that
caused no harm in the natural environment.

Path dependence

We have emphasized design features of the human body that offer some
advantages as well as disadvantages. Other features are, however, simply
mistakes. The eye, for instance, that wonder of wonders, is inside out.
The vessels and nerves enter at the back of the eye ball causing a blind
spot, and they spread out of the inside of the retina casting shadows. The
eye of an octopus is, in contrast, much better designed. The nerves and
vessels run along the outside of the eyeball, penetrating were they are
needed. This octopus has no difficulty with a blind spot, no shadows cast
by the retina, and is protected against detachment of the retina. In this
respect, the design of the octopus eye is extremely sensible, ours is a
mistake. Why doesn't natural selection fix it?

Because the process of evolution is not based on planned design, but on
continual tiny modifications in which each generation must survive and
prosper. Once some semblance of a working eye gave a selective advantages
to our ancestors, the process moved forward steadily until our eyes were
as good as they could be, despite the gross disadvantages of having
vessels on the inside. As Jacob Monod has put it so clearly, "Nature is a
tinkerer, not an engineer."

Many other examples illustrate other anatomical difficulties that arise
from path dependence. (56) The vas deferens, for instance, instead of
going directly from the testicles to the penis, makes a long detour into
the pelvis, looping around the inguinal arteries, and only then returning
to the urethra. This path makes it vulnerable to damage, at least in
surgery. But, because the original routing of the vas deferens and the
iliac vessels was the it was, there is no going back. The recurrent
laryngeal nerve offers another example. This nerve controls some motions
of the vocal cords and muscular contraction of the upper eyelid and the
pupil. It descends from the brain down into the neck and proceeds
immediately behind the thyroid gland on the surface of the trachea. From
there, it does its work at the vocal cords and goes back up to the eye.
All along this long course it is subject to injury, especially at the
hands of surgeons working on the thyroid gland. It is a faulty design that
cannot be changed.

Choking is the cause of death for many people worldwide each day and it
too is simply a design defect resulting from path dependence. It would be
ever so much better if the trachea and the esophagus were completely
separate, however, some of our amphibian ancestors seem to have swum at
the very surface of the water so their nostrils could take air into a
common passage way shared by the food and air. That common cavity has
never been eliminated, thus there is always the possibility of aspirating
food that will clog the wind pipe and cause death.

Finally there's a matter of the appendix. A very thin blind loop of gut,
it extends from the large bowel and seems for all the world as if it is
there just to cause problems. In our ancestors it may have been a larger
cavity that which useful in digestion, but for us, it appears to be
nothing but a potentially fatal nuisance. Its tendency to cause problems
is directly proportional to its narrowness. Any minor bit of inflammation
can compress the artery that supplies it with blood and this lack of blood
supply that opens the way to further bacterial invasion unencumbered by
protective defenses. Such infection further compresses the blood supply,
at which point bacteria can grow completely unhindered until the appendix
bursts, whereupon the patient very often dies. Has natural selection
simply not had enough time to eliminate this troublesome organ? It
certainly does not seem to give any selective advantage. Paradoxically,
however, the appendix may be maintained by natural selection precisely
because it causes appendicitis. People who have an appendix that is
somewhat larger are less likely to get appendicitis, while people who have
a long thin appendix, are more likely to die. This is perhaps the ultimate
example of a "blind loop" in the process of natural selection, an organ
that is wholly useless for any task, but is nonetheless maintained by
natural selection because as it gets smaller, it increased the risk of
death. Such examples suggest that the very idea of a normal, perfect body
is probably incorrect.

The body is a bundle of trade-offs and problematic arrangements
jury-rigged into a miraculous machine.

Random events

We began by emphasizing the randomness of natural selection and we return
to this theme here at the end. There are many accidents and diseases for
which natural selection can offer no protection. If an asteroid hits our
neighborhood, there's nothing natural selection can do to protect us. If
we are exposed to high levels of radioactivity, we have no way of
detecting the danger, so would likely go about our business with possibly
fatal results. Many toxins, especially novel toxins, are colorless and
tasteless, thus making it difficult for us to protect ourselves. Events
that are very rare, or that we cannot detect, do not shape protection and
simply must be chalked up to the unfortunate randomness and
uncontrollability of life.

Likewise, the genetic code can never be perfect. Mutations are always
creeping in, at the rate of approximately one per individual per
reproductive episode. Selection will gradually eliminate some of these,
but some, even some that cause decreases in reproductive success, will
become more common or even widespread by the mere process of genetic drift
and there is no rhyme our reason or controlling such mutations, they are
simply random events that happen.

At the next stage, selection, there is further randomness. Some genes that
cause harm will drift to a higher frequency despite the harm they cause.
Some genes that would protect us or otherwise be beneficial may
nonetheless be eliminated from gene pool by simple stochastic accident.
Such random factors are real and important, but they are not as
all-important as they have sometimes been portrayed. Many of the body's
vulnerabilities are, by contrast, direct products of natural selection.
There is no such thing as one universal normal genome, there is no such
thing as a perfect body, there is no such thing as a perfectly safe diet,
and there is no such thing as life without senescence, but there are a
remarkable number of humans who have miraculously healthy periods in their
life. Given the myriad vulnerabilities and the number of things that can
go wrong, this is astounding indeed.

Senescence

Perhaps the most serious trade-off at the level of a trait is that of
aging. More specifically, there is the mystery of senescence. Why should
individuals age and inevitably die? It is perfectly possible for organism
to recreate body parts that have been lost, so why isn't it possible to
systematically and steadily replace every body part as it ages so that the
individual can be eternal?

The explanation here is very similar to the explanation offered earlier
for why men die younger than women. While it might be possible to design a
body that would be eternal, this individual would not be as effective a
replicator as an individual that put more resources into competition and
less into preservation of the body. (57)

Actually, genes that cause aging can be assigned globally to just two
categories. Some have simply never been exposed to the force of natural
selection because they cause disorders that are too rare and too late in
life for selection to have had much of any effect in the natural
environment. Certain diseases that become extremely common for people in
their 90s, for instance, would have had only a minuscule effect on natural
selection in the natural environment and so it's not surprising that we
remain vulnerable. The same is observed in laboratory animals who are fed
and protected so they can grow to ages that they would never reach in the
wild. On the other hand, the effects of aging may well influence fitness
in the wild for some species. Alex Comfort, going along with ecologists of
previous generations, believed that there was no evidence for aging in
wild animals because he had never seen a decrepit animal in the wild.
However, most animals in the wild are prey for other animals. Long before
they become decrepit, they become a meal for some other predator. Thus,
just because we do not see feeble old rabbits, does not mean there is no
senescence for wild rabbits The other explanation for the continued
presence of genes that cause aging is that they give some pleiotropic
benefit. (58) By this we mean that the very same gene that offers a
benefit, for instance, strengthening bones during childhood and early
adulthood, may also cause some disadvantage that causes disease or even
death later in life, for instance, calcification of the arteries. While no
such specific gene has yet been identified in animals, the likelihood of
such genes has been demonstrated in fruit flies and other insects. (59)
Before we began to tamper with genes that appear to be causes of aging, we
should look carefully to see if they perhaps have been maintained because
of some pleiotropic benefit.

An evolutionary view gives a somewhat pessimistic outlook on the
possibility of eliminating senescence. If genes cause disadvantages in
midlife this will select for other modifier genes that postpone the
expression of the deleterious effects to later in life. At some point, the
expression of many of these genes will be seem to be coordinated in later
life because the force of selection will fall quite rapidly at the age
when they are expressed. One can thus imagine their manifestations as
grains of sand that have been swept to later in the life-span by other
modifier genes so that they now form something of a hill beyond which it
is impossible to go.

This is not to say that much may not be accomplished by gerontologic
research and by slowing some aspects of aging. For instance, taking a
small those of aspirin each day decreases risk of dying for heart attack.
Does this have disadvantages is well? Yes, it thins the blood somewhat and
that makes death from bleeding more likely. However, injuries are less
likely now, and medical care is available, so on the whole we benefit by
having blood that is a bit thinner than that designed for the natural
environment. These circumstances offer an example where taking medications
regularly may improve our adaptation to the current environment. Likewise,
a tendency for rapid oxidation may be essential to destroy certain
bacteria but toning down this capacity may currently not harm us much at
all, but may protect our tissues from aging. In fact, it appears that this
may be the explanation for gout. Gout occurs when crystals of uric acid
precipitate in the joint fluid, causing excruciating pain. So why don't
humans have lower levels of uric acid, like other primates do? A
cross-species comparison shows a very strong linear relationship between
plasma uric acid levels and longevity in different species. Uric acid
turns out to be a potent antioxidant, and may well have been selected for
to help make our long life spans possible. A few people, the unfortunate
ones, get gout.

Implications

Natural selection and our evolutionary history has been well understood
for nearly a hundred years now. Why is it only now being applied to the
problems of medicine? In part, the explanation probably depends on the
illusion that we referred to at the beginning of this article. Natural
selection shapes things that work, so it is a bit hard to see on first
glance how can also help explain why things don't work. There also more
practical reasons, however, why it is only now that evolutionary biology
is being recognized as a basic science for medicine. Medicine is a
practical endeavor. Doctors treat individual patients with individual
diseases and are usually far more interested in why this patient is sick
now and what to do about it, than they are about why all members of the
species are vulnerable to a particular problem. The patient comes in with
a painful gouty big toe and the physician wants to help that individual
immediately. The possibility that high levels of uric acid protect all of
us from aging is not especially relevant at that moment.

Nonetheless, an evolutionary approach to medicine can be profoundly
relevant. For instance, some well-meaning genetic engineer might well
decide to adjust things so that we all have lower levels of uric acid in
order to protect us from gout. This would be fine, except for the
possibility that we would probably all begin aging more quickly. Natural
selection creates many designs that are substandard, but when it has a
chance to act on some variable parameter, that shows continuous variation,
such as the circulating level of uric acid, it will usually approach an
optimum, given trade-offs, and given the specific environment in which the
trait was shaped.

Even in everyday practice, however, there is much that is immediately
useful from an evolutionary approach to medicine. Recognition that
diarrhea, fever, pain, nausea, vomiting and anxiety are useful defenses
allows us to treat them in a far more sophisticated way. On the one hand,
it helps us to hesitate and think carefully about the normal function of
the defense before we block it. It also may allow us to feel comfortable
that in this particular instance, blocking the defense is of no
consequence to the person's health so we can act aggressively to make the
person feel better more quickly. This is especially common in the case of
pain.

In the area of public health, an evolutionary approach is of great
importance in assessing environmental changes that might influence changes
in virulence. In particular, settings in which vectors can transmit
pathogens between passive hosts are recognized as particularly dangerous
for shaping more virulent organisms, whether the vector is a mosquito or a
doctor's hands. The use of condoms not only prevents transmission of
sexual diseases, it also can decrease their virulence.

A sexually transmitted disease that causes quick death or incapacitation
will tend to increase in virulence if the person is having many sexual
partners, but if the person uses protective devices or abstains from
dangerous sexual practices, this will tend to select for strains of the
pathogens that are less virulent. Similar principles may also be useful
for vaccine design.

We could go on at great length about other potential benefits from an
evolutionary approach to medicine but we wish to emphasize that most of
the relevant research has not yet been done. Evolutionary questions have
not been asked systematically about disease, and the methods for testing
them are still being developed. What is needed now is not to jump quickly
to a new theory of medical practice based on evolutionary biology, but to
begin to educate physicians and patients about the evolutionary nature of
the body and its vulnerabilities to disease. This will, we believe,
quickly lead to specific advances in the treatment of individual diseases
that will benefit individual patients. Even before that, however, it will
help us all to a deeper understanding of the nature of the organism, and
the nature of its vulnerabilities to disease. From this viewpoint, the
body is not a Platonic ideal, and the genetic code is not correct in any
one particular version. Instead, genes, with considerable variation, makes
phenotypes, that interact with environments and other individuals, to
result in more or fewer offspring depending on the genes, the environment,
their interactions, and chance factors. An extraordinary number of people
are blessed with years and even decades a good health, and sometimes even
happiness. Despite all our knowledge about how this is possible, it still
seems nothing short of miraculous, even though no miracle is needed to
explain.

1. Williams GW, Nesse RM. The dawn of Darwinian medicine. Quarterly Review
of Biology 1991;66(1):1-22.

2. Nesse RM, Williams GC. Why We Get Sick: The New Science of Darwinian
Medicine. New York: Times Books, 1994.

3. Stearns S, ed. Evolution in Health and Disease. Oxford: Oxford
University Press, 1998.

4. Williams GC. Natural Selection: Domains, Levels, and Challenges. New
York: Oxford University Press, 1992.

5. Dawkins R. The Blind Watchmaker. New York: W. W. Norton, 1986.

6. Mayr E. How the carry out the adaptationist program? Amer. Naturalist
1983;121(March, 1983):324-333.

7. Dawkins R. The Extended Phenotype: The Gene as the Unit of Selection.
San Francisco: W.H. Freeman and Company, 1982.

8. Michod RE, Levin BR, eds. The Evolution of Sex. Sunderland, MA:
Sinauer, 1988.

9. Hamilton WD, Axelrod R, Tanese R. Sexual reproduction as an adaptation
to resist parasites: a review. Proceedings of the National Academy of
Sciences 1990;87(3566-3573).

10. Williams GC. Sex and Evolution. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton
University Press, 1975.

11. Dugatkin LA. Cooperation among animals : an evolutionary perspective.
New York: Oxford University Press, 1997. Oxford series in ecology and
evolution.;

12. Betzig L, Mulder MB, Turke P, eds. Human Reproductive Behavior: A
Darwinian Perspective. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1988.

13. Daly M, Wilson M. Sex, Evolution, and Behavior. (Second Edition ed.)
Boston: Willard Grant Press, 1983.

14. Buss D. The Evolution of Desire. New York: Basic, 1994.

15. Partridge L, Hurst LD. Sex and conflict. Science
1998;281(5385):2003-8.

16. Diamond JM. The cost of living. Discover 1990(June):62-67.

17. Woolf L, McBean MS, Woolf F, Cahalane S. Phenylketonuria as a balanced
polymorphism: the nature of the heterozygote advantage. Annals of Human
Genetics 1975;38(4):461-469.

18. Krebs JR, Dawkins RD. Animal signals: mind-reading and manipulation.
In: Krebs JR, Davies NB, eds. Behavioral Ecology: An Evolutionary
Approach. Sunderland, Mass: Sinauer, 1984:380-402.

19. Alexander RD. The Arms Race: Some Thoughts of a Biologist. 1985:

20. Ewald P. Evolution of Infectious Disease. New York: Oxford University
Press, 1994.

21. Goodenough UW. Deception by Pathogens. American Scientist
1991;79:344-355.

22. Donelson J, Hill K, El-Sayed N. Multiple mechanisms of immune evasion
by African

trypanosomes. Mol Biochem Parasitol 1998;91(1):51-66.

23. Bertranpetit J, Calafell F. Genetic and geographical variability in
cystic fibrosis: evolutionary considerations. Ciba Found Symp
1996;197(97-114).

24. Williams T, Maitland K, Bennett S, et al. High incidence of malaria in
alpha- thalassaemic children. Nature 1996;383(6600):480-481.

25. Ruwende C, Hill A. Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency and
malaria. Journal of Molecular Medicine 1998;76(8):581-588.

26. Spyropoulos B. Tay-Sachs carriers and tuberculosis resistance. Nature
1988;331(6158):666.

27. Chadwick D, Cardew G. Variation in the human genome. Chichester ; New
York: Wiley, 1996. Ciba Foundation symposium ; 197;

28. Dobson A. The population biology of parasite-induced changes in host
behavior. Q Rev Biol 1988;63(2):139-165.

29. DuPont HL, Hornick RB. Adverse effect of Lomotil therapy in
shigellosis. J. Am. Med. Assoc. 1973;226:1525-1528.

30. Melzack R. The puzzle of pain. New York,: Basic Books, 1973.

31. Marks IM, Nesse RM. Fear and fitness: An evolutionary analysis of
anxiety disorders. Ethology and Sociobiology 1994;15(5-6):247-261.

32. Rosen JB, Schulkin J. From normal fear to pathological anxiety. Psych
Rev 1998;105(2):325-350.

33. Kluger MJ, ed. Fever, its Biology, Evolution, and Function. Princeton,
N.J.: Princeton University Press, 1979.

34. Gilbert P. Human Nature and Suffering. Hove, UK: Lawrence Erlbaum,
1989.

35. Nesse RM, Berridge KC. Psychoactive drug use in evolutionary
perspective. Science 1997;278:63-66.

36. Pier G, Grout M, Zaidi T, et al. Salmonella typhi uses CFTR to enter
intestinal epithelial cells. Nature 1998;393(6680):79-82.

37. Goodwin FK, Jamison KR. Manic-Depressive Illness. New York: Oxford
University Press, 1990.

38. Jamison KR. Touched with fire : manic-depressive illness and the
artistic temperament. New York: Free Press, 1993.

39. Proctor RN. Racial Hygiene: Medicine Under the Nazis. Cambridge, MA:
Harvard University Press, 1988.

40. Chadwick D, Cardew G, eds. Variation in the Human Genome. New York:
John Wiley, 1996.

41. Eaton SB, Konner M, Shostak M. Stone Agers in the Fast Lane: Chronic
Degenerative Diseases in Evolutionary Perspective. The American Journal of
Medicine 1988;84(4):739-749.

42. Bowlby J. Attachment and loss. New York,: Basic Books, 1969.

43. Irons W. Adaptively relevant environments versus the environment of
evolutionary adaptedness. Evolutionary Anthropology 1998;6(6):194-204.

44. Russell WMS, Russell C. Evolutionary and social aspects of disease.
Ecology of Disease 1983;2:95-106.

45. Durham WH. Interactions of genetic and cultural evolution: models and
examples. Human Ecol 1982;10(3):289-323.

46. Carpenter K. The relationship of pellagra to corn and the low
availability of niacin in cereals. Experientia - Supplementum :-.

47. Sharma A. The thrifty-genotype hypothesis and its implications for the
study of complex genetic disorders in man. Journal of Molecular Medicine
1998;76(8):568-571.

48. Neel J, Julius S, Weder A, Yamada M, Kardia S, Haviland M. Syndrome X:
is it for real? Genetic Epidemiology 1998;15(1):19-32.

49. Eaton S, Eaton Sr, Konner M, Shostak M. An evolutionary perspective
enhances understanding of human nutritional requirements. Journal of
Nutrition 1966;126(6):1732-1740.

50. Murray CJL, Lopez AD, Harvard School of Public Health., World Health
Organization., World Bank. The global burden of disease : a comprehensive
assessment of mortality and disability from diseases, injuries, and risk
factors in 1990 and projected to 2020. [Cambridge, Mass.]: Published by
the Harvard School of Public Health on behalf of the World Health
Organization and the World Bank ; Distributed by Harvard University Press,
1996.

51. Singh D, Young RK. Body weight, waist-to-hip ratio, breasts, and hips:
Role in judgments of female attractiveness and desirability for
relationships. Ethology & Sociobiology 1995;16(6):483-507.

52. Strassmann BI. The biology of menstruation in Homo sapiens: Total
lifetime menses, fecundity and nonsynchrony in a natural fertility
population. Current Anthropology 1997;38(1):123-129.

53. Eaton S, Pike M, Short R, et al. Women's reproductive cancers in
evolutionary context. Quarterly Review of Biology 1994;69(3):353-67.

54. Berridge KC, Robinson TE. The mind of an addicted brain: sensitization
of wanting versus liking. Current Directions in Psychological Science
1995;4:71-76.

55. Robinson TE, Berridge KC. The neural basis of drug craving: an
incentive-sensitization theory of addiction. Brain Research Reviews
1993;18(3):247-91.

56. Williams GC. The Pony Fish's Glow : And Other Clues to Plan and
Purpose in Nature. New York: Basic, 1997.

57. Austad SN. Why we age : what science is discovering about the body's
journey throughout life. New York: J. Wiley & Sons, 1997.

58. Williams GC. Pleiotropy, natural selection, and the evolution of
senescence. Evolution 1957;11(4):398-411.

59. Rose MR. Genetic Mechanisms for the Evolution of Aging. New York:
Oxford, 1991.