[Paleopsych] Atlas Sphere: Indict the New York Times

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Fri Jan 13 01:49:27 UTC 2006

Frank,
Regarding the question of spying on ourselves: Let me provide a
counter-intuitive argument, only partly tongue in cheek. Perhaps the
left-wing fear that government spies on us is actually salutory. It
encourages us to reflect on the current confirmation hearings for Alito:
Everything you have ever said will someday be scrutinized. So live life
with that clear understanding.

Privacy is over-rated as a freedom. Knowledge about others is
interesting. (I love gossip!) It is the contraints on behavior that we
cannot tolerate. Recall that  SCOTUS invented a right to privacy so
people in Connecticut could buy birth control Privacy was not the real
issue. The issue was that govenment was trying to control things it
shouldn't. To get a decision, the Supremes had to invent a new right.

In the early 1970s, my father was puzzled about people objecting to
Nixon's wiretaps. "Why does anyone object?" he asked. "You shouldn't
oughta be sayin' things on the telephone that you are ashamed of
anyway." Dad lived his life with that notion, that he had nothing to
hide. It is a wonderfully freeing life.

I think things like Holzer proposes are actually good for democracy,
since it helps the democracy have an open dialog about important issues
including the role of secrecy vs. openness. As David Horowitz says,
dialog between disparate entities invigorates democracy. Such a
prosecution would be exciting to watch.
Lynn

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D.
Solutions Consulting Group
166 East 5900 South, Ste. B-108
Salt Lake City, UT 84107

Tel: (801) 261-1412; Fax: (801) 288-2269

Check out our webpage: www.solution-consulting.com

Feeling upset? Order Get On The Peace Train, my new solution-oriented book on negative emotions.