[Paleopsych] Sigma Xi: Rumours and Errours

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Fri Jan 13 16:54:13 UTC 2006

Rumours and Errours
http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/42368?&print=yes
[Best to click the URL. End of articles from Sigma Xi.]

COMPUTING SCIENCE

[31]Brian Hayes

The confessional essay is not a popular genre in mathematics and the
sciences; few of us wish to dwell on our mistakes or call attention to
them. An inspiring exception is Donald E. Knuth of Stanford
University. During a decade's labor on the TeX typesetting system, he
kept a meticulous log of all his errors, and then he published the
list with a detailed commentary.

I have long admired Knuth's act of public bravery, and this column is
my attempt to follow his example. I took courage from the thought that
if there is any realm of life in which I might hope to surpass Don
Knuth, it's in making mistakes; but, alas, I've fallen short even in
this dubious department. Knuth's published error log runs to more than
900 entries, whereas here I am going to confess to only a paltry
handful of mistakes. Then again, Knuth needed 10 years' work on a
major software project to accumulate his budget of errors, but I was
able to commit some really serious howlers in a program of a dozen
lines.

Knuth remarks that keeping an error log not only helped in debugging
the program but also "helped me to get to know myself." I would like
to think that I too have acquired some self-knowledge from the
experience of confronting my own fallibility. And it would be
gratifying to suggest that by telling my story I might save others
from making the same mistakes--but I don't quite believe that, and I'm
not even sure it would be a good idea.

Start Spreading the News

[33]Figure 1. The birth and death of a rumor...

The story begins with a loose end from my column on the Lambert W
function in the March-April issue of American Scientist. I had been
looking for a paper with the curious title "Rumours with general
initial conditions," by Selma Belen and C. E. M. Pearce of the
University of Adelaide, published in The ANZIAM Journal, which is also
known as The Australia and New Zealand Industrial and Applied
Mathematics Journal. By the time I found the paper, my column had
already gone to press. This was a disappointment, because Belen and
Pearce describe an illuminating application of the W function in a
context that I found interesting in its own right. Here is how they
begin:

   The stochastic theory of rumours, with interacting subpopulations
   of ignorants, spreaders and stiflers, began with the seminal paper
   of Daley and Kendall. The most striking result in the area--that if
   there is one spreader initially, then the proportion of the
   population never to hear the rumour converges almost surely to a
   proportion 0.203188 of the population size as the latter tends to
   infinity--was first signalled in that article. This result occurs
   also in the variant stochastic model of Maki and Thompson, although
   a typographic error has resulted in the value 0.238 being cited in
   a number of consequent papers.

I was intrigued and a little puzzled to learn that a rumor would die
out while "almost surely" leaving a fifth of the people untouched. Why
wouldn't it reach everyone eventually? And that number 0.203188, with
its formidable six decimal places of precision--where did that come
from?

I read on far enough to get the details of the models. The premise, I
discovered, is that rumor-mongering is fun only if you know the rumor
and your audience doesn't; there's no thrill in passing on stale news.
In terms of the three subpopulations, people remain spreaders of a
rumor as long as they continue to meet ignorants who are eager to
receive it; after that, the spreaders become stiflers, who still know
the rumor but have lost interest in propagating it.

The Daley-Kendall and Maki-Thompson models simplify and formalize this
social process. Both models assume a thoroughly mixed population, so
that people encounter each other at random, with uniform probability.
Another simplifying assumption is that people always meet two-by-two,
never in larger groups. The pairwise interactions are governed by a
rigid set of rules:

o Whenever a spreader meets an ignorant, the  ignorant becomes a
spreader, while the original spreader continues spreading.

o When a spreader meets a stifler, the spreader becomes a stifler.

o In the case where two spreaders meet, the models differ. In the
Daley-Kendall version, both spreaders become stiflers. The
Maki-Thompson rules convert only one spreader into a stifler; the
other continues spreading.

o All other interactions (ignorant-ignorant, ignorant-stifler,
stifler-stifler) have no effect on either party.

The rules begin to explain why rumors are self-limiting in these
models. Initially, spreaders are recruited from the large reservoir of
ignorants, and the rumor ripples through part of the population. But
as the spreaders proliferate, they start running into one another and
thereby become stiflers. Because the progression from ignorant to
spreader to stifler is irreversible, it's clear the rumor must
eventually die out, as all spreaders wind up as stiflers in the end.
What's not so obvious is why the last spreader should disappear before
the supply of ignorants is exhausted, or why the permanently clueless
fraction is equal to 0.203188 of the original population.

The rumor models are closely related to well-known models of epidemic
disease, where the three subpopulations are usually labeled
susceptibles, infectives and removed cases. But there's a difference
between rumors and epidemics. In the rumor models, it's not only the
disease that's contagious but also the cure, since both spreading and
stifling are communicable traits.

The Rumor Mill

I was curious to see the rumor models in action, and so I wrote a
little program. I set up a population of 1,000 individuals, each of
whom could be an ignorant, a spreader or a stifler. Initially there
was just one spreader and all the rest were ignorants. At the heart of
the program was the following procedure, meant to implement the
Daley-Kendall model (the one in which pairs of spreaders annihilate
each other):

   repeat

choose X at random from among the spreaders in the population;

choose Y at random from the entire population;

if Y is an ignorant

then make Y a spreader

else if Y is a spreader

then make both X and Y stiflers

else if Y is a stifler

then make X a stifler

   until there are no more spreaders

When all the spreaders are gone, nothing more can change, so the
program ends and reports the fraction of the population still
oblivious of the rumor. This fraction, designated th, should be
0.203188. But the result from my program, averaged over a few thousand
runs, was 0.28 or 0.29--a considerable discrepancy.

At this point, let me pause to say that my big boo-boo had already
been committed. Before reading on, you might want to try debugging my
algorithm, or even write a program of your own.

Typos and Thinkos

Computer programming teaches humility, or at least that's my
experience. In principle, the discrepancy I observed might have
pointed to an error in the published result, but that wasn't my first
hypothesis. I checked my own code, fully expecting to find some
careless mistake--running through a loop one time too few or too many,
failing to update a variable, miscalculating an array index. Nothing
leapt out at me. The problem, I began to suspect, was not a typo but a
thinko.

I did know of one soft spot in the program. The individuals X and Y
were chosen in such a way that they could both turn out to be the same
person, suggesting the strange spectacle of spreading a rumor to
oneself. ("Pssst. Have I heard about...?") When I went to fix this
oddity, I discovered another bug. A variable named spreader-count was
incremented or decremented on each passage through the loop, according
to the outcome of the encounter; when this variable reached zero, the
program ended. After each spreader-spreader interaction, I decreased
spreader-count by 2--with potentially disastrous results if X and Y
were identical. This was a serious flaw, which needed to be repaired;
however, the change had no discernible effect on the value of th,
which remained stuck at 0.285.

I had another thought. Belen and Pearce were careful to state that
their result holds only when the population size tends to infinity.
Perhaps my discrepancy would go away in a larger sample. I tried a
range of populations, with these results:

   population  th
10  0.354
   100  0.296
  1,000 0.286
  10,0000.285
100,0000.285

The trend was in the right direction--a smaller proportion of residual
ignorants as population increased--but the curve seemed to flatten out
beyond 1,000, and th looked unlikely ever to reach 0.203. Even so, it
seemed worthwhile to test still larger populations, but for that I
would need a faster program. I wrote a new and simpler version,
dispensing with the array of individuals and merely keeping track of
the number of persons in each of the three categories. With this
strategy I was able to test populations up to 100 million. The value
of th remained steady at 0.285.

[35]Figure 2. The dynamics of rumors...

Looking at the distribution of th values from single runs of the
program (rather than averages over many runs) suggested another idea.
Most of the results were clustered between th=0.25 and th=0.35, but
there were a few outliers--runs in which 99 percent of the population
never heard the rumor. I could see what must be going on. Suppose on
the very first interaction X spreads the rumor to Y, and then in the
second round the random selection happens to settle on X and Y again.
The rumor dies in infancy, having reached only two people. Could it be
that excluding these outliers would bring the average value of th down
to 0.203? I gave it a try; the answer was no.

Mea Culpa

I was stumped. I had reached the point in a debugging session where
you begin to doubt your random-number generator, or even your
compiler. As it happens, Knuth found a few compiler bugs during his
work on TeX, but for me that road has always led nowhere.

For lack of a better idea, I decided to look at the other scheme of
rumor propagation, the Maki-Thompson model. As indicated above, this
model differs from the Daley-Kendall one in that an encounter between
two spreaders converts just one of them into a stifler. Modifying my
program took only a second. When I ran it, the answer came back
th=0.203. Now I was not just stumped but also thoroughly confused.

Here's where confession becomes a test of character. There was a
moment--it came in the dark of the night--when I allowed myself to
entertain the notion that maybe I was right after all, and the rest of
the world had a screw loose. I looked back at the opening paragraph of
the paper by Belen and Pearce. I realized that I could make sense of
it all, and reconcile their numbers with mine, merely by assuming that
the Australian authors had everything umop-episdn. The number 0.203,
which they identified as the result of the Daley-Kendall model, really
belonged with Maki-Thompson. As for 0.238, which they called a
typographical error--well, yes, that's just what it was, a
transposition of 0.283, which seemed close enough to 0.285, the value
of th I calculated for Daley-Kendall....

[37]Figure 3. The longevity of a rumor...

By morning this madness had abated, but the impasse remained. I knew I
could probably settle the matter by going back to the library and
looking up the sources cited by Belen and Pearce, but that seemed less
than sporting. I could have tried to prove the correctness of one
result or the other, but if I can't trust myself to write a correct
program, how can I be trusted to write a correct proof? Then there's
the experimental method: I might have assembled a thousand volunteers,
carefully instructed them on the Daley-Kendall rules, and set a rumor
loose in their midst.

In the end, what I tried was yet another computer simulation. I
decided to write a program that would mimic a real experiment as
closely as possible, reproducing all the basic events of the
underlying model with no shortcuts or optimizations. The image I had
in mind was a crowd of people milling about like molecules in a gas,
bumping into each other at random and passing on rumors during these
chance collisions. This was the system I wanted to simulate.

My first program, with its explicit representation of each member of
the population, was already fairly close to the goal. But I had made
one refinement for the sake of computational efficiency. Because
interactions in which neither party is a spreader could never affect
the fate of a rumor, it seemed wasteful to include them; I avoided
that waste by always choosing a spreader as the first party to an
encounter. This seemed a totally harmless bit of streamlining, but now
I went back and removed it. In the third version of the program, I
selected two individuals at random from the entire population, checked
to make sure they were not actually the same person, and then allowed
them to interact according to the Daley-Kendall rules. It seemed a
futile exercise, which would surely yield exactly the same result as
the other programs, only slower. To my astonishment, the new program
reported th=0.203.

My Bad

If you have already figured out where my reasoning went astray, I
offer my congratulations. My own belated enlightenment came when I
finally drew the matrix of all nine possible encounters of ignorants,
spreaders and stiflers. As shown in Figure 4, this diagram can serve
as more than just an enumeration of possible outcomes; it encodes the
entire structure and operation of the model. If we make the widths of
the columns and rows proportional to the sizes of the three
subpopulations, then the area of each of the nine boxes gives the
probability of the corresponding two-person encounter. Choosing two
participants at random is equivalent to choosing a point at random
within the diagram; the outcome of the interaction is then decided by
which of the nine boxes the chosen point lies within. (I am again
glossing over the issue of spreading a rumor to oneself; it's a minor
correction.)

[39]Figure 4. Matrix of all possible events...

To understand where I went wrong, it's enough to analyze the simplest
case, where the three subpopulations are of equal size and all nine
kinds of encounters have the same probability, namely 1/9. The boxes
at the four corners of the diagram correspond to events that do not
involve a spreader and that change no one's status. Two other boxes
describe ignorant-spreader encounters, which therefore have a total
probability of 2/9. Two more boxes correspond to spreader-stifler
meetings, so those events also occur with probability 2/9. But there
is only one box representing spreader-spreader interactions, which
accordingly must be assigned a probability of 1/9. The key point is
that ignorant-spreader and spreader-stifler events are each twice as
likely as spreader-spreader meetings.

Now consider what happens in my first program for the Daley-Kendall
model. By always choosing a spreader first, I confined all events to
the middle row of the matrix, and the three boxes in this row were
selected with equal probability. As a result, spreader-spreader
interactions were twice as frequent as they should have been, and the
rumor was extinguished prematurely.

>From the point of view of probability theory, the error is an
elementary one of failing to count cases properly. Perhaps a
professional programmer would cite a different root cause: I had
violated the old adage, "Don't start optimizing your program until
you've finished writing it."

Back to the Stacks

Not all of my confusion was cleared up by the discovery of this error.
In particular, the algorithm that I now knew to be incorrect for the
Daley-Kendall model still seemed to give the right answer for the
Maki-Thompson rules. To make sense of this situation, I finally went
back to the library to find out what the original authors had said.

Daley and Kendall are Daryl J. Daley, now of the Australian National
University, and David G. Kendall, a distinguished statistician and
probabilist at the University of Cambridge. Their paper, published in
1965, is a model of lucid exposition, which would have spared me all
my stumbling in the dark--and for that reason I'm glad I didn't see it
sooner. The correct calculation of probabilities is stated very
clearly (there's a factor of 1/2 in the expression for the
spreader-spreader interaction). Furthermore, the origin of the
mysteriously precise number 0.203188 is made plain. Those six digits
come not from a discrete-event simulation like the ones I had designed
but from a continuous, differential-equation version of the model. The
number th is a solution of the equation:

  th e ^2(1- ^th) = 1.

This equation brings us back almost to the Lambert W function, We^W.)

Maki and Thompson are Daniel P. Maki and Maynard Thompson of Indiana
University, who discussed rumors in a 1973 textbook, Mathematical
Models and Applications. They described the rumor-passing process in
terms of telephone calls, and they limited their attention to calls
placed by spreaders; because of this asymmetry, only the middle row of
the matrix in Figure 4 enters into the calculation, and my first
program was in fact a correct implementation of their model. (At least
I got something right.) It is almost a coincidence that Maki and
Thompson arrive at the same value of th as Daley and Kendall: Their
spreader-spreader interactions are twice as likely but have only half
the effect.

The paper by Belen and Pearce that launched me on this adventure also
deserves a further comment. The phrase "general initial conditions" in
their title refers to rumors initiated not by a single spreader but by
many. One might guess that with enough spreaders, the rumor must
surely permeate the entire society, but Belen and Pearce show
otherwise. Measuring the fraction of those originally ignorant who
remain ignorant when the rumor has finished, they find that this
fraction actually increases along with the number of initial
spreaders, tending to a maximum of 1/e, or about 0.368. In other
words, as more people spread the news, more people fail to hear it.
The reason is simply that the multitude of spreaders quickly stifle
one another.

By now the mathematics of rumors has acquired a vast literature.
Variant models track competing rumors and counter-rumors or allow
people to meet more than two at a time. Still more models study the
progress of rumors through networks or lattices rather than
structureless mixed populations. I have not yet had a chance to make
any errors in exploring these systems.

Gnothi Seauton

Mistakes bring the gift of self-knowledge--a gift that is not always
welcome. Looking back on this episode, I could summarize it as
follows: I wrote a program that gave a wrong answer, and then I
fiddled and fudged until I finally got the output I wanted, and then I
stopped. This is not a protocol to be recommended. What's most
troubling is the uncomfortable thought that if the textbook answer had
not been given to me at the outset, I would surely have been content
with the result of my first, fallacious, program.

Still, for most of us, the only way we'll never err is if we never
try. My fellow-columnist Henry Petroski has written eloquently about
the necessary role of error and failure in all worthy undertakings; as
he says, falling down is part of growing up. And if we are going to
make mistakes, it seems salutary to bring them out in the open and
discuss their causes. Staring them in the face makes them seem a
little less mortifying.

Only a little, though. A confession of this kind is not followed by
absolution. And instead of "Go and err no more," Knuth quotes Piet
Hein's advice: "Err and err and err again but less and less and less."
I take my own motto from the novelist and playwright Samuel Beckett:
"Fail again. Fail better."

Bibliography

   * Belen, Selma, and C. E. M. Pearce. 2004. Rumours with general
  initial conditions. The ANZIAM Journal 45:393-400.
   * Daley, D. J., and D. G. Kendall. 1965. Stochastic rumours. Journal
  of the Institute of Mathematics and Its Applications 1:42-55.
   * Knuth, Donald E. 1989. The errors of TeX. Software--Practice &
  Experience 19:607-685. Reprinted with additions in Literate
  Programming, 1992, Stanford, Calif.: Center for the Study of
  Language and Information, pp. 243-339.
   * Maki, Daniel P., and Maynard Thompson. 1973. Mathematical Models
  and Applications, with Emphasis on the Social, Life, and
  Management Sciences. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall.