[Paleopsych] Frank keeping his balance

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Fri Jan 20 14:25:13 UTC 2006

Recently Frank talked about improving his sense of balance by not
holding on while on the Metroliner during his commute. I just had a
similar experience.

As I have gotten older, my skiing is slower and more conservative. My
college-age boys recently created a balance board. It is a plastic pipe
about five inches in diameter by 18 inches long, and a 5/8 plywood board
about 1 1/2 feet by 2 1/2 feet. The purpose is to balance the board on
the pipe, one foot on each side of the pipe. With quick back-and-forth
movements you keep the board somewhat level. I could not do it at first,
while my 15 year old son would balance, leap into the air, spin 180
degrees, and land again on the board. Just trying to balance, I would
fall sprawling and the dog would run out terrified.

I have practiced this for a couple of months, and it has improved my
balance and fast-twitch muscles considerably. I can now balance for over
a minute at a time.

Recently skiing with my 17 year old daughter, I was going very fast to
try to catch up, and as the slope changed to a run-out, I was probably
doing about 30 miles per hour. My outside edge of the less-weighted ski
caught, shoving me forward, but for the first time in my life I was able
to regain my form and not take one of those horrible cartwheel falls. I
suppose it has to do withthe balance exercises I am doing.

I think Frank is onto something with his balance-improvement exercises.

Lynn

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D.
Solutions Consulting Group
166 East 5900 South, Ste. B-108
Salt Lake City, UT 84107

Tel: (801) 261-1412; Fax: (801) 288-2269

Check out our webpage: www.solution-consulting.com

Feeling upset? Order Get On The Peace Train, my new solution-oriented book on negative emotions.