[Paleopsych] NYT: Nine Short Scenes of Women in Crisis

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Sun Jan 22 22:47:41 UTC 2006

Nine Short Scenes of Women in Crisis
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/15/movies/redcarpet/15hold.html

[This is a lovely story, but of no relevance to me whatsoever. A review of
the entire film is appended. That's the end of 30 NYT pieces. It took me
an hour and fifteen minutes to format and forward them. Now back to
reading MSS.]

    The Unforgettable Moment
    By STEPHEN HOLDEN

    EACH of the nine brief scenes in Rodrigo García's [4]"Nine Lives" is a
    little epiphany that revolves around a different woman under emotional
    stress. Together they add up to a collection of wrenching, minutely
    observed moments that suggest Chekhov short stories. Each is written,
    acted and directed with such exquisite calibration of tone, subtext
    and body language that the performances seem less like acting than
    fleeting, revelatory moments of real life captured on film.

    The supermarket in which Diana ([5]Robin Wright Penn) and Damian
    ([6]Jason Isaacs), former lovers now pushing 40, run into each other
    by chance couldn't be a more banal setting for a shattering reunion.
    In the fluorescent glare, with barely audible Muzak humming in the
    background, they reconnect and within minutes dive into the murky
    emotional depths of their past.

    Like the other eight stories in the suite, "Diana" is only about 10
    minutes long and filmed in real time. But by the end we've learned
    more about the inner lives of Diana and Damian than is revealed about
    most couples in a feature-length movie.

    Even before Diana, in the final months of pregnancy, spots her ex,
    traces of anger and disappointment are visible in her face, as she
    impatiently pushes her shopping cart through the aisles. When they
    catch up with each other next to the canned soup section, they
    exchange friendly greetings and chitchat.

    Both are now married. Diana is expecting her baby in August. Damian,
    handsome in a lightweight hooded jacket, is back in the city after
    several years and is about to move to a new apartment with his wife,
    Lisa.

    Their conversation ends as Damian extends his hand, and with a tense,
    too-bright smile, Diana playfully bats it away. The camera trails her
    from behind as she moves on and then, unable to resist a backward
    look, turns around to reveal her stricken face.

    When they bump into each other again moments later in the produce
    section, Damian makes the leap back in time.

    "Actually, I think about you all the time - the stuff we did, the
    things that happened to us, the people we were - it was lovely for a
    long time, wasn't it?" he says in a tone of urgent romantic gravity.

    Diana stiffens. "It was lovely by fits and starts," she corrects,
    adding, "I think we should talk about something else, if we're going
    to talk."

    They retreat into chitchat in which he tells her about his job as
    producer of a current affairs show for public radio.

    Diana's head has lowered, as though she can hardly bear to look at
    him.

    "You never really opened up to me, you know," she blurts.

    "That's not true," he replies.

    "It is true," she says. "You made me sad for a long time." Trying to
    lighten up, she remarks: "I'm not hurt, and I'm not angry. It's how I
    remember it. But none of it matters anymore anyway, right?"

    By now Diana is ready to move on, but Damian, abandoning his cart,
    insists on accompanying her.

    "Are you going to have kids?" she asks.

    "No," he answers.

    "Why?"

    "I can't," he says tonelessly. "I'm sterile."

    At a loss for words, she laughs nervously, then apologizes.

    When they reach the wine section, Damian takes charge and chooses one
    red and one white as though he had done it countless times in the
    years when they were together. Diana observes how they're walking and
    talking "like lovebirds," then covers her face with one hand as her
    feelings well up.

    "Five minutes with you and I always feel like my life is a figment of
    my imagination," she confesses, exasperated. "You've just always been
    this thing that swallows me." She pauses. "I've got to go."

    She hurries off, then suddenly turns back, anguished. "You can't just
    come up to me after a hundred years, married, and tell me that you
    think about me. You can't do that," she says.

    "Why not?"

    "Do you love your wife?"

    "Yeah. Of course I do. You love your husband. And this is different
    because it's us. We're Damian and Diana. Nothing's going to change it.
    You might as well accept. You know it's true."

    Diana pushes her cart away furiously. But their need to connect drives
    them to turn around and face each other one last time.

    "Damian," she whispers under her breath.

    Approaching her, he gently places his hands on the sides of her belly,
    stoops and softly, reverently, kisses her stomach. For a long moment,
    they touch their foreheads together, looking beseechingly into each
    other's eyes. He almost speaks, then stops, and they break apart. She
    stands there for a moment, her eyes smarting with tears before she
    continues to shop, dropping a bottle of dishwashing liquid into her
    cart.

    When Diana can't bear it anymore, she abandons her cart and races down
    the aisles frantically searching for him. Rushing to the supermarket
    entrance, she peers in both directions, but he's gone. Blackout.