[extropy-chat] Guns

Darin Sunley dsunley at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 1 02:23:35 UTC 2003

Any of us who've been around here long enough to remember the last big gun
flamefest have seen all of this rhetoric, on both sides, before. But there
is a new and intriguing element this time around.

The previous flamewar emerged from the standard, familiar dynamics of
text-based communications. Lack of face-to-face communication erodes the
standard social cognitive feedback loops that generate civil behavior in
most well-socialized adults. As is common in these situations, neither party
had any particular formal training in the subject area, just the informed
interest of a passionate layman. Neither party claimed to represent any
organization larger than themselves, and therefore all flames were strictly
personal. The participants could damage their own credibility, and sometimes
even that of their opponents, but no one else's.

This time however, the scale of the conflict is slightly larger. Dirk claims
to be representing a new political party and, one assumes, has aspirations
to eventually run as a candidate himself, or to speak for candidates running
in local elections in the UK.

Dirk, as fun as this petulant sniping and blatant stereotyping must be for
you, and as much as it must seem that Mr. Lorrey started it and that honour
must be satisfied, you MUST hold yourself to a higher standard of public
behavior. This list is archived publically. As a citizen of the UK you must
surely be famliar with the less savoury elements of your local media. The
publishing of this, frankly petty, flamefest  would, if spun appropriately,
do serious damage to your long term credibility as a member of the British
political community.

Do yourself a huge favour and rise above the petty flamefests that
characterize these kind of online debates. Tossing statistics of
indeterminate credibility, tidbits of sarcasm and mediocre wit, and
stereotypes constituting viscious insults won't win you the support of the
average cocktail party, let alone a parliamentary riding where your clear
passion for the issues might have some actual influence on public debate.

To summarize, Dirk, this is not the time, not the place, and it is certainly
not the manner in which to have this debate.

Darin Sunley,
dsunley at shaw.ca