[extropy-chat] Gender roles

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Mon Dec 1 21:01:17 UTC 2003

After my posting re Scale 5, I got curious and did a little more
research.  The test was revised slightly for the MMPI-2.  Since I read the
score interpretation taught to clinical psychologists (reprinted below),
questions and doubts about anything clinical psychologists assert have been
bubbling inside me faster than I can voice them.

But I thought you might be interested in what passes for science.

 From http://cmhs.utoledo.edu/npiazza/Courses/Adv%20Personality/MMPI-2.htm :

Scale 5 Interpretations for Men

 > 75 -- Typically self-proclaimed homosexuals and persons willing to admit
their homosexual concerns.

65 - 75 -- Lacks identification with culturally prescribed sex roles.
Passive, inner-directed, have aesthetic interests, and may even seem
effeminate.

58 - 64 -- Men tend toward aesthetic activities, are imaginative,
introspective, and have a wide range of interests. They are socially
perceptive and sensitive to interpersonal interactions. Typical range for
most college educated men.

45 - 57 -- Traditional identification with sex role interests and
activities. Typical range for college educated males in masculine oriented
fields, e.g., engineering and agriculture.

< 44 -- Very strong identification with traditional masculine role. May be
rigid and inflexible about their masculinity. Tend to be adventurous,
easygoing, coarse, and have interests in mechanics, sports, and outdoor
activities.

Scale 5 Interpretations for Women

 > 75 -- Typically self-proclaimed homosexuals and persons willing to admit
their homosexual concerns.

65 - 74 -- Unusual for women to score in this range. Check for errors in
scoring or profiling. Not interested in appearing or behaving according to
traditional feminine role. Tend to be vigorous, aggressive, dominating, and
competitive. Confident and spontaneous, but may become anxious when
expected to conform to traditional feminine sex roles.

45 - 64 -- Less interested in traditional feminine activities with more
masculine interests and activities that women who score low on this scale.

35 - 44 -- Genuinely identifies with traditional feminine interests and
activities.

< 34 -- Over-identification with the feminine role. Tend to be passive,
submissive, modest, yielding, and demure. They may be coy, seductive, and
feign helplessness. May be self-pitying, masochistic, and manipulate men
via sex.

-- David Lubkin.