[extropy-chat] Guns

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 14:38:12 UTC 2003

--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:

> [...]

I don't believe, I know. That I know that I have inalienable rights
such as the keeping and bearing of arms (any arms, not just guns) is a
distinctly different issue as to whether any particular society thinks
so as well. It is fortunate that I live in a society where a
supermajority posesses similar knowledge, for that means I do not have
to either move somewhere else, or work very hard to secure my liberties
against the slave mentality of a serf society such as you do. In my
society, we have constitutional barriers against modern ignorance
corrupting our natural rights, barriers which serve to protect those
rights in times when public opinion sways and flags, such as the
1968-86 period.

It is quite evident that certain serf societies on the european
continent and elsewhere still believe they have no right to defend
their liberties yet still beleive they are are free. They believed this
before WWII as well, and look where that got you.

We saw a similar phenomenon with the slavery period here in the US,
where house slaves saw no reason for the field slaves to yearn for
liberty in the north, that privilege was available to those who
sufficiently pleased the masters and those that did not deserved to
work the fields.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark