[extropy-chat] Transhumanism and old people

JDP jacques at dtext.com
Tue Dec 2 18:03:26 UTC 2003

Eugen Leitl a écrit (2.12.2003/17:27) :

> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 08:11:14AM -0800, Don Dartfield wrote:
>
> > But if they had the choice, and if they weren't encumbered by religious
>
> I don't know what the cutoff is, but in the current generation it's
> difficult to get through to people past 50. Maybe our generation will
> fare better; we'll see. Kids are easy, but I'm not sure they retain
> the view as they age.
>
> I notice several transhumanists have drifted away as they aged.

If you are confident it won't happen in your lifetime, and you will
plain old die, then it is natural to discard crazy hopes and try to
mentally adapt to what you think is your real fate.

The old people have adapted. Adopting new hopes which seem improbable
is too tiring emotionally and cognitively. I am pretty sure that if
the thing was really available NOW, most would be happy to take the
trouble of changing their mind and choose to avoid death. It is just
that if they don't believe it will happen, they don't want to disturb
the acceptance and adaptation they have managed to build in
themselves. (Which makes good sense to me.)

Jacques