[extropy-chat] thank evolution for the interstate highway system

Don Dartfield twodeel at jornada.org
Tue Dec 2 18:14:37 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> From what I've read, neurological studies of the shape of the brain case
> of neanderthals indicate they lacked a lot of the higher brain functions
> that homo sap needed to make the breakthrough to actual conciousness,
> beyond being ordered around by a god module.

Really?  That seems odd.  I thought they could make musical instruments,
and had larger braincases than us ... but they lack higher brain
functions?  Are these brand new studies?

In any case, in the Neanderthal Parallax trilogy's worldview (or
worldsview, as the case may be), actual consciousness seemed to be
attributed more more of a random event which was intimately tied with the
universe splitting, rather than being purely a function of brain
structure.  Probably not realistic, but that doesn't mean

> As for caloric economics, as I said in the previous post, you cant
> generate enough calories per acre of wilderness via hunter gatherer
> economics to support a large enough population or to support job
> specialization needed to achieve a highly technological society. The
> best such a society can do is have a tribe with a few specialized tool
> makers and medicine men. You certainly could NOT support the industrial
> infrastructure needed to build advanced technologies like helicopters.

Maybe not for us, but given the higher-than-human intelligence of Sawyer's
Neanderthals, maybe they could technology without requiring such a high
population density.  Maybe their advanced intelligence means that
individuals can invent high technology without needing a lot of spare
people. ;)