[extropy-chat] Communication vs transportation

Charlie Stross charlie at antipope.org
Tue Dec 2 19:53:35 UTC 2003

On 2 Dec 2003, at 18:20, <kevinfreels at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think that this has occurred simply because the masses have decided
> that
> what we have is good enough. The market has stabilized and the
> cost-benefit
> is about equal. The airlines already struggle with making profits
> because of
> this. If they raise the price of tickets, more people choose to drive
> their destination. Faster flights and more exclusive, dedicated
> service to
> streamline the waiting would only increase the cost which most people
> are
> simply not willing to pay.

Personally, I'd like *slower* intercontinental flights. Jet lag leaves
me feeling washed out for days, and the cramped cabin conditions are
distinctly unpleasant. I'd be more than happy to travel by airship at,
say, 200-300km/h instead of by jet at 800-1000km/h, as long as the
cubic volume available to passengers was comparable to that on a
sea-going ship. And if there's one thing airships aren't short on, it's
cubic volume! Standard class on the Hindenberg included a berth in a
two-bunk stateroom and access to the lounge and promenade decks. Give
me bandwidth, a lounge to sit in with a laptop, and a comfortable bed,
and I'd be a lot happier to take 48 hours to cross the Atlantic
(getting work done en route and shifting my sleep pattern at a natural
rate) than spending 7 hours in cattle class (unable to work and feeling
like crap at the other end of the journey).

(NB: This isn't to say that I wouldn't prefer to travel by sub-orbital
hop and get wherever I'm going in mere minutes, but as a comparison to
today's subsonic jet travel an airship has its merits.)

-- Charlie