[extropy-chat] Boredom in old age

Max M maxm at mail.tele.dk
Wed Dec 3 14:06:58 UTC 2003

BillK wrote:

> On the mental side, the 'seen it all before' syndrome is also very real.
> Computer techies will have seen the 'burn-out' effect on whiz-kids who
> just can't do it any more. The people who are the big achievers are all
> 'driven' by their own various demons.

Oh yeah, that is so true. I can allready feel it myself at the tender
age of 38. I have allways been an "extreme" techie. But computers are
getting more and more boring every day. Solving the same old problems in
slightly different ways.

On the other side, I find quality in my life increasingly important, and
there are many examples of people living good lives at a high age.
People at the age of 50 usually tell that they are living out the best
part of their life. Free of the stresses of homebuilding and kids.

We can also hope that a exponential growth in technology can make up for
the "seen it all before" feeling.

Or perhaps side-effect-free recreational drugs will make it all moot.

regards Max M Rasmussen, Denmark