[extropy-chat] Re: More on the Glofish: When Fish Fluoresce, Can Teenagers Be Far Behind?

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Dec 4 05:39:08 UTC 2003

--- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Actually, they only really apply if a draft is in
> effect, something
> that I don't think is likely even given todays
> situation.
>
> However, if one were enacted, a local draft board
> will interview those
> claiming unfitness. Accidents are obviously excused.
> Intentional
> disfigurement is not. Doing so after receiving a
> draft notice only
> makes it easier for them to prosecute you. If you
> are dumb enough to
> tell a draft board you got your genes altered so you
> glowed in the dark
> specifically to make you unfit for service, I'll bet
> they'll draft you
> anyways and the military would stick you in some
> hellhole peeling
> potatos or slopping out latrines for the duration.

Nah.  There are times when you want to be seen, say
if you're going to be drawing fire away from the
enemy...or inspiring terror if the enemy is
uber-luddite.

> As for uploading at an early age, the military would
> probably find good
> military uses for uploaded minds...

"When you wake up, there will be ten of you.  One will
be kept safe here.  The rest will be loaded into drone
aircraft being sent on suicide missions.  When all is
done, the you that survives will be as you are now,
and the enemy will have nine well-placed holes."