[extropy-chat] Atheists barred from office in seven states

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 20:44:40 UTC 2003

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> The site is still coming up for me.

Me too. In fact, the index page gives this warning:
"October 26, 2003 -- We are hearing reports that foreign visitors to
our site are being redirected to electronic bookstores and people
offering to pay to take surveys. We are not affiliated with these sites
and advise you not to deal with them; they may be front organizations
for cults. Although our technical staff is still looking into this
issue, we strongly suspect that anti-Christian and anti-American
governmental agents outside the U.S. are trying to keep our message
from being heard in their lands. If you have suggested our site to a
foreigner and he says he can't get through to it, warn him that he and
his family are living under the scrutiny of an authoritarian regime and
are in immediate spiritual -- and possibly physical -- danger!"

The only signs I can find that this sight may be a parody are the
banner ads appearing at the bottom of the pages. On the slot.htm page
Spike cited, the banner adverstised "Clowns for Christ". Viewing the
index page, at the foot was an ad for Mimeistry, "Reaching the unsaved
through the power of mime." If only all evangelical christians tried to
reach the unsaved through silence, this world would be a much more
enjoyable place.... ;) I highly recommend that the Mimeistry get as
much support as we can give it....

The most entertaining banner ad was one that seemed to advertise a porn
site. Figuring that I might have happened onto the porn-spam that
Harvey claimed the host was involved in, I clicked through to find what
appared to be the entrance page to a porn site. Clicking further
resulted in a page telling me what a sinner I was for looking for porn
on the internet, etc. etc. etc. citing biblical verse and recommending
I see a counselor about my addiction to internet porn... What fun!

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey