[extropy-chat] Whoops! and holiday greetings

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 15:57:57 UTC 2003

--- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Spike wrote:
> >
> > > And best wishes to youse-all extropes, too.
> > >
> > > Damien Broderick
> >
> > We really must fix the flaw in English that the word
> > meaning you is the same for singular and plural.
> > Various dialects have attempted patches, such as
> > y'all, youse, you guys, you-uns, youse-all, youay,
> > all yall, youse guys, and even the disrespectful-
> > sounding "you people."  We need a standard patch.
> >
> > Suggestions?
>
> Use ewes?

Yoots (also useful in referring to youths in inner city settings).

I'll note that the French have 'tu' for the singular and 'vous' for the
plural (as best I recall). Y'all does seem to be spreading with the
popularity of country music, so it may wind up becoming the default
choice, especially as it is most phonetically efficient. I hear it more
often with the folks in northern new england these days, and yankees
love phonetic efficiency, as evinced by our lack of 'r's.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey