[extropy-chat] promoting libertarianism effectively

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Sun Dec 7 03:06:23 UTC 2003

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>On the contrary, anything we do to promote liberty in any way that
>doesn't hurt anybody is good. WHy? Because for most average people in
>America, when you say "libertarians", they say "whassat? sum kinna
>crazy democrat?"

People I meet usually have heard just enough about libertarians to be
confused.  Hard-core policy advocates tend to understand where we are,
particularly if our positions overlap with theirs, like taxpayer, gun
rights, or motorcycle groups.  But average conservatives hear of our stand
on drugs, prostitution, and gays, and figure we're some form of
liberal.  And average liberals hear of our stand on the minimum wage,
entitlement programs, and school choice, and figure we're some form of
conservative.

My take is to tailor the message to my audience.  If they bring up an issue
where we apparently disagree, I try to first get them to see the common
ground on issues where we do agree.  When we get to a contentious issue, I
try again to establish common ground by identifying how we want to achieve
the same goals.  If they perceive me as a fellow traveller, I have a much
better chance of them listening instead of simply arguing back.

But it sure is easy to get sucked into the Libertarian Macho Flash.  (Or,
for that matter, the Extropian Macho Flash.  But we can rely on a copy of
"The Gentle Seduction" to get people thinking.)

Max More wrote:

>However, I disagree that *anything* done to get ideas about liberty out
>there is good. First impressions have a powerful influence on the human
>mind. A poor first impression only increases the work to be done.

I'm not sure whether Rachel Mills's project is helping or hurting.  But
I've definitely met quite a few loons who I wish weren't on my side of an
issue.  (And then there are the loons that people *think* are on my
side.  I'm getting tired of explaining that no, Lyndon LaRouche is not a
Libertarian, he's a Democrat.)

All else being equal, it is true that we'll do better with articulate,
well-dressed, well-groomed, and attractive.  My fellow paleos may recall
Perry Metzger's forceful assertion that the farther your idea is from the
mainstream, the more important it was for you to look and sound clean-cut
and mainstream?  (While, of course, not coming off as a Mormon missionary
or insurance salesman.)

-- David Lubkin.