[extropy-chat] Smalley, Drexler and the monster in Lake Michigan

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Dec 7 12:54:11 UTC 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 07:37:33PM +1100, Brett Paatsch wrote:

> 1) What *particular* machine is being considered? (I think I'm just
> paraphrasing Hal here actually, so perhaps better to answer Hal).

No specific machine. Not even a specific process, though there are early
suggestions, e.g.

http://www.zyvex.com/nanotech/hydroCarbonMetabolism.html

(several of these are heavy steric hindrance candidates).

http://www.zyvex.com/nanotech/mechanosynthesis.html

"mechanosynthesis" and "machine-phase chemistry" are good keywords.

> 2) If neither Drexler (and associates) nor Smalley (and associates) were to
> *accept* the burden of proof scientifically what happens by default
> politically?

The Nobel "what's this purple crap in soxhleted soot?" laureate wins by default</duh>