[extropy-chat] Encryption revolution

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sun Dec 7 21:18:42 UTC 2003

"Robin Hanson" <rhanson at gmu.edu> Wrote:

> There is an article in the latest New Scientist on how to break it.

I know nothing about network quantum encryption, I've never heard of it
before and the article doesn't explain how it works; but as for breaking
point to point quantum encryption it only has 2 suggestions:

1) Look over my shoulder when I decrypt the message.

2) Fire a massive Laser at me that is so powerful it damages my
cryptographic equipment and hope I'm too dumb to notice.

Apparently quite a bit of money is going into developing quantum encryption,
I'm a little surprised because public key encryption is much easier to use
and seems safe enough.  The only conclusion I can come up with is that
somebody with money thinks a practical quantum computer will soon become a
reality. If that happens then quantum encryption will be the only way to
keep a secret.

  John K Clark     jonkc at att.net