[extropy-chat] Computing in 2004--and Beyond

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Dec 8 19:54:51 UTC 2003

PC World magazine has a look into the future -
<http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,113444,00.asp>

How will the PC change during the coming year? The next five years? We
consult the experts and come up with answers.

Highlights:

According to IDC, flat-panel display shipments will surpass those of
tubes for the first time in 2004.

Rumors abound that Tejas, Intel's successor to Prescott, will debut near
the end of 2004 with speeds from 5 to 7 GHz.

Moore's law--the concept that chip performance will double every 18
months or so--is alive and well. Researchers are just beginning to build
chips with circuits only 65nm wide, and IBM and AMD are among those
working to develop a 45nm process. Intel envisions paring that to 22nm
by the year 2011.

"The PCs we'll buy just three years from now will have features, user
interfaces, and expansion options that are radically different from
those in the systems we're using today," predicts Microprocessor
Report's Glaskowsky.

BillK