[extropy-chat] Even a little tipple shrinks your brain

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Dec 8 21:51:27 UTC 2003

<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8122-920730,00.html>

JUST a few alcoholic drinks a week may be enough to shrink the brain,
according to US research.

Middle-aged men and women who consume moderate amounts of alcohol on a
regular basis tend to have lower concentrations of brain tissue than
teetotallers or occasional drinkers, scientists have discovered.

While heavy drinking has long been linked to a decrease in brain size,
which can lead to impaired mental abilities, the study from Johns
Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, suggests that a lower intake
of alcohol may also be risky.

It also found that a moderate intake of alcohol had no effect on a
person’s risk of stroke. Previous research had indicated that sensible
drinking might offer a measure of protection.

As the volunteers’ alcohol intake rose, the scans showed an increasing
volume in the ventricular and sulcal regions of the brain — "empty"
areas that contain only cerebrospinal fluid and no nervous tissue.

-------

Bother! Luckily I only use 10% of my enormously large brain, so I should
be OK for a while.  ;)

BillK