[extropy-chat] British Royal Society Workshop Commentary

Damien Broderick thespike at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 9 05:05:59 UTC 2003

Chris Phoenix sez:

> Never having been successfully criticized is an attribute common to most
> (ideally all) current scientific theories.

Really? You must be using these words in a rather unusual way. Do you assert
that George Gamow's version of the Big Bang persists unchanged, unchallenged
and uncriticized? Or Guth's, for that matter? The original Crick&Watson
model of DNA and its protein expression? Plate tectonics? Solar system
formation? Quark theory unaltered since Gell-Mann's first salvo? Sure,
*something* persists throughout all the challenges and responses, but it
would unbelievable if Drexler's every word stood inviolate more than a
decade later, which appears to be implied by the statement Hal and I are
independently objecting to. (Maybe this is word-chopping, I'm not sure; but
you can be certain that your antagonists will chop with a will if you give
their blades an unnecessary opening.)

Damien Broderick