[extropy-chat] Encryption revolution

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 9 16:11:35 UTC 2003

>From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
>To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Encryption revolution
>Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 15:33:27 +0100

>Please refrain from using blanket statements about a domain you obviously
>don't understand. "pretty strong" is meaningless without an attack model,
>"easy to use" is ridiculous, unless you refer to peer-reviewed
>implementations of PKIs, which have an empiric record track of being
>insecure. People who thought PKI was easy to write kept producing buggy
>shitware. Because they thought it "easy to use".

Please refrain from using blanket statements about a domain you obviously
don't understand.

"Pretty strong" is not meaningless. As a cryptography consumer, I won't
write the software myself but I need to know that it is difficult or
pratically impossible to compromise.

>The key size is useless without knowing the algorithm complexity. No, it is
>not possible
>to brute-force a symmetric crypto key within its viability window.

The key size is not useless. Of course to make a perfect valuation you need
to know what algorithm is used.

>All PKI systems are used for symmetric encryption key exchange. In fact,
>most
>PKI has considerable weaknesses, if it's being used for something else than
>that.
See, here's another of your blanket statements. Not All PKI systems are used
for symmetric encryption. There are plenty of insecure systems that use PKI
for things they shouldn't use them for.

>Please do not assume reading Slashdot is sufficient to understand
>cryptography (No, reading cryptography@ over years is not sufficient,
>either, or just reading <http://www.cacr.math.uwaterloo.ca/hac/> ,
>but it's a first start if you want to understand the basics
>of cryptography).
Everyone knows that true cypherpunks learn from reading Cryptonomicon, not
slashdot. Man, I thought you would have known that.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you, just trying to ablate
your abrasiveness a little.

BAL