[ok] Re: [extropy-chat] Communication vs transportation

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 18:11:33 UTC 2003

Akranoplans are interesting ideas, but I suspect that the danger of
collision with ships would be a problem as would dealing with heavy
seas. Doesn't matter if you are going mach .75 25 feet over the ocean
if the waves are 100 feet high...

The real revolution in transportation is in residential ships like
Residensea. When you can telecommute, then ocean cruise ships will make
a comeback.

--- Henrique Moraes Machado <hemm at br.inter.net> wrote:

> As I said, crazy idea. :)
> Just a paradigmatic issue. I wouldn't like to be forever tied to
> conventional airplanes.
> I wouldn't even mind to travel slower than mach .97 (or much slower)
> aboard a dirigible for instance. It's not a matter of speed.
>
> The transports need a revolution. When we had only horses, the trains
> were revolutionary. Then the automobiles and finally airplanes.
> Nothing new since then. And there goes one hundred years.
> One might point that there are rockets and stuff, but how many people
> do you know have used rockets for transportation? Not practical.
> I've seen (discovery channel, internet) many ideas that could change
> radically the transports but I don't see any of these ideas being
> implemented.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark