[extropy-chat] Encryption revolution

Tue Dec 9 18:35:03 UTC 2003

Eugen Leitl wrote,
> Please refrain from using blanket statements about a domain
> you obviously don't understand.

and

> Please do not assume reading Slashdot is sufficient to
> understand cryptography

This is a big problem with Extropians and Transhumanists in general.  All we
seem to have is a discussion group with armchair quarterbacks and amateurs
arguing over star-trek science.  Where are all the real experts in our
favorite fields?  I feel like I am beating a dead horse, but it has to be
said.

We have to move beyond the fan-club stage and create develop expertise and
involvement to create the future.  Educating the public, lobbying our
governments, and discussing this stuff is only the first step.  And even
that step is misguided without a proper understanding of the technologies.
We are becoming a cargo cult that doesn't understand what we are really
promoting.  How can we break out of this feel-good mode and into the real
work?  Self-education, grassroots efforts, and garage tinkering worked well
in the industrial age, but won't be good enough for the future.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,